IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus drove 53 miles on car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 10:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
What the hell are you guys talkin' about complaining to the service manager..repairs like that honestly DO require the cars to be driven. It's called QUALITY CONTROL. When cars come back for repeat complaints it looks really bad from a corporate standpoint and it's also a way to ensure something was fixed the first visit. Don't go to the service manager when you don't need to because you're wasting everybody's time. It's people like you that make my life at work hard when I have to explain to customers the same rhyme every single time. Plus, if the car was used to LUNCH purposes there wouldn't be that many miles due to that. Techs work off flag rate, meaning they get paid on what they do. Why would they take an extended lunch? Think about it people and don't go and crap all over the service
advisors surveys, we get paid off those surveys too. Do your research before you jump to conclusions.
I agree with you, some work does require a test drive. BUT, they should let you know that up front. BUT, 53 miles, by a SPECIAL driver. Give me a break

Lou
Old 02-08-09, 10:49 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is your service advisor? I go to sewell.
Old 02-08-09, 10:50 AM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell are you guys talkin' about complaining to the service manager..repairs like that honestly DO require the cars to be driven. It's called QUALITY CONTROL. When cars come back for repeat complaints it looks really bad from a corporate standpoint and it's also a way to ensure something was fixed the first visit. Don't go to the service manager when you don't need to because you're wasting everybody's time. It's people like you that make my life at work hard when I have to explain to customers the same rhyme every single time. Plus, if the car was used to LUNCH purposes there wouldn't be that many miles due to that. Techs work off flag rate, meaning they get paid on what they do. Why would they take an extended lunch? Think about it people and don't go and crap all over the service
advisors surveys, we get paid off those surveys too. Do your research before you jump to conclusions.
I realize there has to be QC. I get that and appreciate it. However ,as a consumer and customer of Lexus I would hope to not get a general answer to a problem before actually knowing about the problem. I myself am a GM of a large hotel in North Dallas. I can't give out solutions to problems to my guests before hearing about the problem first. In my case, SA Mgr didn't know that I drove an IS or what TSB's were performed before explaining to me the 53 miles put on. I'm sure most people can agree with me. I'm not looking to get anyone fired, just need a straight answer on mileage that I believe is excessive. At least warn the customer that this is going to happen

Ian
Old 02-08-09, 10:54 AM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iKenn
Who is your service advisor? I go to sewell.
Matt Lampo is my SA @ Sewell. He's a great guy. Matt was off on Saturday. I actually spoke to another SA Mgr on that Sat afternoon. Forgot his name...
Old 02-08-09, 11:20 AM
09 LEX 250
Driver

id have them roll the odo back lol
Old 02-08-09, 11:21 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Same thing happened to me few months ago when I brought my car in for TSIB. Except it wasn't 50 miles it was just 5-10 miles. Except when I check my MPG it was down to like 10 MPG. Obviously they were abusing my car.
Old 02-08-09, 11:37 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGZis350
I realize there has to be QC. I get that and appreciate it. However ,as a consumer and customer of Lexus I would hope to not get a general answer to a problem before actually knowing about the problem. I myself am a GM of a large hotel in North Dallas. I can't give out solutions to problems to my guests before hearing about the problem first. In my case, SA Mgr didn't know that I drove an IS or what TSB's were performed before explaining to me the 53 miles put on. I'm sure most people can agree with me. I'm not looking to get anyone fired, just need a straight answer on mileage that I believe is excessive. At least warn the customer that this is going to happen

Ian
I understand where you're coming from when you might have received a general answer for your question without the Manager hearing you out. That's his/her fault for that because you've gotta listen first. It really isn't that excessive considering they had your car for 5 days. I bet what REALLY happened is that after the initial test drive of perhaps 20 miles or so something wasn't done right and had to be rectified. Then when it was repaired a second time it was to be test driven again. That's the only reason I could think of for the high mileage. What other TSB's did they perform? Was the start-up noise TSB the only one that was more labor intensive?
Old 02-08-09, 11:52 AM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

I understand where you're coming from when you might have received a general answer for your question without the Manager hearing you out. That's his/her fault for that because you've gotta listen first. It really isn't that excessive considering they had your car for 5 days. I bet what REALLY happened is that after the initial test drive of perhaps 20 miles or so something wasn't done right and had to be rectified. Then when it was repaired a second time it was to be test driven again. That's the only reason I could think of for the high mileage. What other TSB's did they perform? Was the start-up noise TSB the only one that was more labor intensive?
I'm sure it was something like that Eric. I just hate thinking that someone else was enjoying my car for 53 miles and not me! LOL Not that my 09 RX350 loaner wasn't nice... just wasn't the Three-Fiddy! Thanks for the input.

*Replace Fuel Delivery pipes (recall)
*Replace both R\rear brake dust boots (replaced front rotors and to low dust pads week before)
*Replace Power Steering Assem Link Kit (adjusted toe also)
*Eng Knock @ Cold Sart (replaced 2 camshaft gear assem
*Oil change (every 5k)
Old 02-08-09, 11:57 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Ask for a blonde haired girl named Sarah.
Old 02-08-09, 12:28 PM
tieu
Rookie

20 miles for a test drive?? and then another 20?

I worked as a mechanic, performance shop to be exact so its not your everyday part changing or brake jobs. We did custom work and fabrication, engine swaps and all that.. you take the car for a spin and make sure everything is tight and works (brakes, ball joints nuts r in, axle nuts) etc no noises or loose things you feel from steering wheel. Take it to the highway for a nice spin driving at the higher speeds for a bit making sure no rattles n everything.

Thats it, i dont get how it takes 20 miles to do that?
Old 02-08-09, 12:43 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Same thing happened to me few months ago when I brought my car in for TSIB. Except it wasn't 50 miles it was just 5-10 miles. Except when I check my MPG it was down to like 10 MPG. Obviously they were abusing my car.
Smoky- That would **** me off. 10mpg avg! I've seen mine at 10mpg before and that was the first 30 minutes I owned the car! You know what I mean... testing all 306 hp. They might have had a "ferris bueller" moment in your 350 that day. It sucks because I had 3/4 tank of non-ethanol gas blend from Waco,TX that makes your car run GREAT and better MPG! I was getting 30.8 mpg from Waco to Dallas before serviced last week. I even had to remind them to fill it back up.
Old 02-08-09, 12:53 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Special drivers = short bus. I wouldn't believe that bull s! I would be pissed if the dealership put that many miles on my car. I would complain to corporate.
Old 02-08-09, 01:04 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

BS Eric. Even a full engine replacement doesn't take 53 miles to verify that it runs. If they are screwing up repairs and need a 20 mile run each time to verify it, that's a problem. Hell, the car shows up BRAND NEW with 5-6 miles, and that's with all run-ins and tests completed on brand new parts.

I'm betting that the "special driver" was someone that wasn't supposed to be driving your car in the first place. Sounds like someone wanted to save gas so they took yours for the night.

I remember reading about this on a Ford Mustang Cobra forum. The tech took a Cobra for a joyride, and then posted on the forum about how badly he ragged the car. He then made the mistake of talking about the personalized plate, and the owner chimed in. She was pissed off, and made sure the world knew it.

We're talking about $40k machines here. We as owners have every right to expect the dealers to do the right thing while they are in temporary possession of them.

Last edited by 15951; 02-08-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 03:40 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Don't forget mechanics let cars idle alot which will kill your MPG
Old 02-08-09, 04:44 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

get the sand out of your vagina.....who cares. they did u a favor and fixed your car.

Quick Reply: Lexus drove 53 miles on car!