IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus drove 53 miles on car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 08:48 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i tell you one thing. these recalls are being done left and right... they won't take the initiative to actually test drive the car for 53 miles i guarantee you that as i use to work at lexus. what right does the service advisor give the technician permission to take YOUR CAR HOME TO TEST DRIVE** like someone stated you should have been notified in the first place. service advisors are just service advisors that write up your ticket and try to upsell crap to get money. theres no way in hell i tell you that even the shop foreman would allow 53 miles of test driving for a technician.. the shop foreman will usuallly be the one to take the car home (OR he had at least test driven your car at least once to know or find out what the vehicles problem is that would require 53 miles on the car?!?)!!! i know this for a fact. and from first hand working with service advisors they will feed you "the customer" bull **** if something goes wrong(wrongdoings). nuff said

if i were you i'd talk to the shop foreman about the technician. the shop foreman may feed you BS as well to cover up the work being done when your car is NOT to be taken out for technicians personal use. but MIGHT have a "talk" to the technician and possibly write the tech up(3 strikes your fired) or a warning. OR you will have your answer because the shop foreman tells you that he approved(or the team leader approved with authorization) the driving of your vehicle for road testing of the 53 miles put on your car.

Last edited by Pnuge88; 02-09-09 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-09-09, 08:50 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

makes me wanna buy in car camera to see where they actually went.

If the tech runs a light with camera's or totals the car, I wonder how long you would be out of a car.
Old 02-09-09, 09:00 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They probably need to drive the vehicle to reset the ecm's monitors. The ecm will internally clear itself of pending service codes. Some cars require an extensive drive in order to do this. If the monitors dont run completely then after you pick up your car the check engine light can return if there is still a problem. It's better to happen to them while on a test drive then for you to have it pop up on your dash/screen while driving...dont sweat it...I wasn't like Ferris bueller's day off with the valet's joy ride ferrari sceen
Attached Thumbnails Lexus drove 53 miles on car!-6a00d83451b3c669e200e54f198e8a8833-800wi.jpg  

Last edited by jns350; 02-09-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-09-09, 10:39 AM
LP07GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DGZis350
lol. Trust me I get that a lot. Seriously though.. if a fellow CL member ever needs a discount on a hotel room in North Dallas, feel free to shoot me an email at "lq0706gm@laquinta.com"
Oh great.. And if you ever want some "free" Chick-Fil-A hit me up sometime. Lets just hope when I get my car back that they only drove 5-10 miles.
Old 02-09-09, 12:23 PM
subliiime
Rookie

I took my IS350 into Lexus for I think was the 10,000 mile service a few months ago, and when I got it back I noticed the ECT Power button was switched on. I didn't take note of the mileage but I suspect somebody took my car out for a short joy ride. Also, the beep sound was turned on for when you push a button on the navigation screen.

I was a little pissed and like WTF!?!?!, and was going to say something, but I was just like...F it...I'm outta here.

I wonder if it would rub them in the wrong way if when you take your car into service, you explicitly tell them to NOT take it for a joyride or mess with your settings.
Old 02-09-09, 08:00 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGZis350
Spoke to my SA this morning. He gave me the real answer. He said he let one of his techs take it home and do the road "testing". He said they are in a lose lose situation in cases like this. They wanna fix the car right but end up putting extra miles on it because they want to make sure it's perfect. At least it was not some BS reason like "we have special drivers that come in a drive these cars... " The real answer was all I wanted. Thanks for all your input fellas! Greatly appreciated.

Ian
This just keeps getting better. So let's review:

1. Dealer gets called out for putting excess miles on your car.

2. They lie to you with a false explanation ("special drivers").

3. You call them on it, and the SA tells you that he let a tech take it home, and then feeds you some crap about how it's a "lose lose" that they broke the rules and acted unethically (if not illegally).

4. You are now happy because you just wanted the truth.

Are you for real? Do you think that the SA allows all of his favorite customers to have their cars temporarily jacked by the techs?

I would be absolutely losing my mind if I were you, but it's your car.
Old 02-09-09, 08:43 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
This just keeps getting better. So let's review:

1. Dealer gets called out for putting excess miles on your car.

2. They lie to you with a false explanation ("special drivers").

3. You call them on it, and the SA tells you that he let a tech take it home, and then feeds you some crap about how it's a "lose lose" that they broke the rules and acted unethically (if not illegally).

4. You are now happy because you just wanted the truth.

Are you for real? Do you think that the SA allows all of his favorite customers to have their cars temporarily jacked by the techs?

I would be absolutely losing my mind if I were you, but it's your car.
Man i'm not exactly happy about the situation.. but what else is there really to do? I mentioned the excessive mileage,etc on my survey this afternoon when they called.
Old 02-09-09, 09:07 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
get the sand out of your vagina.....who cares. they did u a favor and fixed your car.
I Lol'd

I'm glad OP got the solution to his problem, and is content with it.

Sheesh. People need to relax. So many of these responses demand blood.