IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus drove 53 miles on car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 06:22 AM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus drove 53 miles on car!

I just received my car 06 IS350 back from Sewell Lexus (Dallas,TX) the other day. They fixed the (fuel hose recall) issue, TSB for engine knock @ cold start which was great, and 3 other TSB's without me even mentioning! It took 5 days to finish. The question I wanted to ask was, do you think 53 miles of "road testing" seems a little high? I know they performed some minor surgery to the engine. But 53 miles is to freekin' far to me! That's halfway to Waco,TX from Dallas!

Thanks...
Old 02-08-09, 06:43 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got this done too and I'm sure they drove my car but they gave me a full tank of gas
Old 02-08-09, 07:40 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be pissed. It sounds like your car was used for errands or to go grab lunch, which is not what it was there for. Bring this to the attention of the service manager, and if that doesn't work, find out who owns the dealership and send them a letter.

I would expect 5 or so miles, max to check the repairs and make sure everything is ok. If they have the time to drive your car around for an hour or more, then clearly they aren't very busy.
Old 02-08-09, 07:42 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. I'm the type of person who wouldn't even notice anything, as long as it got back to me safe and sound.
Old 02-08-09, 07:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Far too excessive. Complain to Dealership management and Lexus Corporate. You should be getting a survey questionnaire in the mail. Fill that out and be brutally honest. There is no excuse for this.

Lou
Old 02-08-09, 08:04 AM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Guys... I did speak to the SA Mgr on Saturday and he explained that some vehicles require up to 40-50 miles of testing (depending on severity of work done) to make sure that "check engine lights" do not appear after service, etc, bla bla bla. A lot of stop and go, cruising at certain speeds, etc. That is typically when a check engine light would appear again within first 50 miles he said. SA Mgr also stated that they have special drivers that just come and do road testing on their vehicles such as mine to make sure everything is "all good". What do you think? I really want to believe him....

Thanks for all the input guys! This is my first post in 7 mos... "lurker" is an understatement!!
Old 02-08-09, 08:26 AM
kimban
Rookie

53 miles is excesssive. my brother used to take customer cars home for check engine related problem, just to get some miles on the engines to see if the light or problem is still present. nomally the service advisor get the permission of the customer first.

hopefully the tech (normally a senior tech), doest live 25 miles from the dealership. that should explain your 53 miles,

25 miles to home + 25 miles to work + 3 miles of actual testing during work = 53 miles.. hope this makes you feel better.. j/k
Old 02-08-09, 08:27 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by DGZis350
What do you think? I really want to believe him....
Don't! Sounds like pure BS Special Drivers Give me a break. I'm a Special Driver, sounds like the job for me

Rather than taking ownership of a problem they should fix, they're trying to BS their way out of it. Don't let them.

Lou
Old 02-08-09, 09:01 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got my car back, I got half drank water bottles and tissues inside my car lol...
Old 02-08-09, 09:20 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
When I got my car back, I got half drank water bottles and tissues inside my car lol...
LOL! Super complain needed for that!
Old 02-08-09, 09:50 AM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
i agree... ive had issues like this before too... when you ask why they did what they did they would deny it and make up BS. Don't trust them. take it to the owner
Old 02-08-09, 09:52 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well when I did a walk around and inside inspection the car seems to be in okay shape with nothing else messed up or abused, so I just tossed out their crap (on the floor... I'm so bad ) and put my stuff back in and drove away, crap happens, as long as I minimize my trips to the dealer I'll let the small things pass.
Old 02-08-09, 10:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I just got this done too and I'm sure they drove my car but they gave me a full tank of gas
Did the same thing on my IS350 a week ago, no problem.
Old 02-08-09, 10:27 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

What the hell are you guys talkin' about complaining to the service manager..repairs like that honestly DO require the cars to be driven. It's called QUALITY CONTROL. When cars come back for repeat complaints it looks really bad from a corporate standpoint and it's also a way to ensure something was fixed the first visit. Don't go to the service manager when you don't need to because you're wasting everybody's time. It's people like you that make my life at work hard when I have to explain to customers the same rhyme every single time. Plus, if the car was used to LUNCH purposes there wouldn't be that many miles due to that. Techs work off flag rate, meaning they get paid on what they do. Why would they take an extended lunch? Think about it people and don't go and crap all over the service
advisors surveys, we get paid off those surveys too. Do your research before you jump to conclusions.
Old 02-08-09, 10:32 AM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DGZis350
Thanks Guys... I did speak to the SA Mgr on Saturday and he explained that some vehicles require up to 40-50 miles of testing (depending on severity of work done) to make sure that "check engine lights" do not appear after service, etc, bla bla bla. A lot of stop and go, cruising at certain speeds, etc. That is typically when a check engine light would appear again within first 50 miles he said. SA Mgr also stated that they have special drivers that just come and do road testing on their vehicles such as mine to make sure everything is "all good". What do you think? I really want to believe him....

Thanks for all the input guys! This is my first post in 7 mos... "lurker" is an understatement!!

I think the worst part of the call was the SA Mgr NEVER even knew what vehicle was serviced or the actual TSB was performed. He gave me an answer before he even knew about the problem. I hate getting BS'd like that. I think I will take this up to the GM of the dealership and maybe I can get a straight answer on 53 miles from him. Hopefully he will have my info in front of him before he goes off on a 5 minute explanation as to why this mileage was necessary. When is it excessive? 100 miles?

Ian

Quick Reply: Lexus drove 53 miles on car!