IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tint question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 10:28 AM
plusone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tint question

I found out that Lexus tinted my windows back in 06, i don't know if it over time or they just did a crappy job but tint is imperfect.

I was wondering if Lexus tint is lifetime warranty or not. Like can i go get my windows retinted.
Old 02-13-09, 10:39 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the tint imperfect? bubbles? installation? ect.? There is probably some lifetime warranty thing with the manufacturer of the tint film for issues like bubbling, discoloration and such, but not scratches, installation issues, ect.
Old 02-13-09, 10:42 AM
plusone
Pole Position

there is some bubbles on the windows and i guess over the time period it began to build scratches from rolling them up and down.
Old 02-13-09, 10:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think tint warranties are transferable, but if you are original owner then check with selling dealer.
Old 02-13-09, 11:14 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Likely not but it's worth complaining about - isn't everything
Old 02-13-09, 12:04 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus did a crappy job with my tint as well. They've actually re-done it twice and I still have scratches from when I roll down the windows. I'll probably take the car elsewhere in a few months and get a third party to do it.
Old 02-13-09, 12:19 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

On the topic of tint, how many of you have tint that is flawless? I had my car tinted and there are really small (e.g. small crumb size) imperfections in the tint. These imperfections are only visible when you are really close (maybe a couple of feet) from the tint and inspecting it.

They redid the tint on a couple of the windows where the imperfections were most prominent, but even after they redid it, there are still some. Their response: "Well, it's never going to be perfect."

I've had cars with tint before and never noticed any imperfections, but perhaps I wasn't looking for them. Just wondering what others have experienced.
Old 02-13-09, 12:42 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ilocke
On the topic of tint, how many of you have tint that is flawless? I had my car tinted and there are really small (e.g. small crumb size) imperfections in the tint. These imperfections are only visible when you are really close (maybe a couple of feet) from the tint and inspecting it.

They redid the tint on a couple of the windows where the imperfections were most prominent, but even after they redid it, there are still some. Their response: "Well, it's never going to be perfect."

I've had cars with tint before and never noticed any imperfections, but perhaps I wasn't looking for them. Just wondering what others have experienced.
My tint is basically perfect to the naked eye. There were no bubbles even right after the tinting process like many others experience. There are no scratches on the film either, but then again I do not roll down my windows often (those who have scratches, are you sure its from rolling down the window and not from cleaning the inside of the window?).
Old 02-13-09, 02:39 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darkdream
My tint is basically perfect to the naked eye. There were no bubbles even right after the tinting process like many others experience. There are no scratches on the film either, but then again I do not roll down my windows often (those who have scratches, are you sure its from rolling down the window and not from cleaning the inside of the window?).
I'm positive it's from rolling down the windows. If it was done from cleaning it would not be a perfectly straight line in the exact same spot on both rear windows.
Old 02-13-09, 05:51 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

These are the reasons why I'd rather not tint my windows.
Old 02-13-09, 06:13 PM
iLexi
Lead Lap

i paid 165 bucks to get my windows tinted! They still look awesome =]
Old 02-13-09, 06:46 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Depending on what time of year (hot or cold weather), it might take a few days to a few weeks for your tint to settle on your windows. Don't roll down your windows for the first week after getting them tinted to prevent from ruining the film. Also, I try to avoid wiping my windows with tint from the inside (unless they really need to be cleaned). To this day, my windows look fabulous.
Old 02-14-09, 11:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Little E
Depending on what time of year (hot or cold weather), it might take a few days to a few weeks for your tint to settle on your windows. Don't roll down your windows for the first week after getting them tinted to prevent from ruining the film. Also, I try to avoid wiping my windows with tint from the inside (unless they really need to be cleaned). To this day, my windows look fabulous.
Agreed. And expect the tint to look a little cloudy for the first few days.
Old 02-14-09, 01:15 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

no rolling down windows for the week... don't expose to water and whatsoever.. keep it in a garage for a week after you have the tint... should be close to perfect..
Old 02-14-09, 02:21 PM
pBOMB
Driver School Candidate

i too have had this guy tell me "it's never going to be perfect." this made me angry because i do believe you can have tint free of tiny bubbles and other imperfections. i'm still in the hunt for a good 3rd party tinter...

Quick Reply: tint question