IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Caliper Painting Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 03:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks good. I didnt clear mine when I had the IS and even through snow/ice/salt they held up perfect.
Old 02-16-09, 02:31 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your front calipers look badass, but I'm not feeling the red rear calipers. They're too small for it to be sticking out, but our front calipers are massive! I have similar stickers like yours that I just slapped over my front flat black calipers. It makes the calipers look a hell of a lot better because that flat area is just begging for some decals. No clear coat here, if it comes off, I'll just put on another set.
Old 02-16-09, 04:14 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Your front calipers look badass, but I'm not feeling the red rear calipers. They're too small for it to be sticking out, but our front calipers are massive! I have similar stickers like yours that I just slapped over my front flat black calipers. It makes the calipers look a hell of a lot better because that flat area is just begging for some decals. No clear coat here, if it comes off, I'll just put on another set.
Ha I know! The front just overpowers the rear, but I dunno, I guess I'm just a little **** about being even. Nice, decals just make it pop but I wonder if it would have been a good idea if I printed out a stencil instead and sprayed it on.
Old 02-28-09, 01:22 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^i'm thinking the same thing... i just painted mine so i'm debating if i should even get decals.

hrmmm random question: would you guys suggestion installing decals/clear coating before or after installing the calipers? The paint seems super delicate as i already had to touchup a lil chip.

Old 02-28-09, 01:33 PM
Rouhi
Driver School Candidate

Very nice you did a very good clean job. Btw where did you get the Lexus Sticker from because i am going to be painting my calipers too
Old 02-28-09, 01:37 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rouhi
Very nice you did a very good clean job. Btw where did you get the Lexus Sticker from because i am going to be painting my calipers too
i got mine here...
http://www.motogfx.com/lexus/
Old 02-28-09, 06:26 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XprincoX
^i'm thinking the same thing... i just painted mine so i'm debating if i should even get decals.

hrmmm random question: would you guys suggestion installing decals/clear coating before or after installing the calipers? The paint seems super delicate as i already had to touchup a lil chip.
What paint did you use? When I painted the final coat, I waited about 20 mins, which was dry to touch, then applied the decals. Some people say clear isn't necessary but I like the extra shine and to seal the decals in.
Old 02-28-09, 07:06 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

wow, that does look really good! I just might have to do that as well.
Old 02-28-09, 07:11 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BorIS350
What paint did you use? When I painted the final coat, I waited about 20 mins, which was dry to touch, then applied the decals. Some people say clear isn't necessary but I like the extra shine and to seal the decals in.
i used that duplicolor kit from pepboys. I probably applied about 4 coats and waited a week to apply the final 5th coat (finished today). I'm still waiting for the decals to come then i'll spray it with a couple layers of clear. It looks like its professionally painted.
Old 02-28-09, 07:23 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

hey weird question... i have a 2008 IS but was wondering why my calipers dont look like that... i mean i wanted to put a decal but no room like this one... is this a different package or something?
Old 02-28-09, 07:39 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ankurman20
hey weird question... i have a 2008 IS but was wondering why my calipers dont look like that... i mean i wanted to put a decal but no room like this one... is this a different package or something?
That's because the IS250 has smaller calipers/rotors. I'm in the process of swapping mine with an IS350 which has the bigger calipers/rotors.
Old 02-28-09, 09:28 PM
nwhuey
Rookie

very nice, well done, really not into the red, if I were to do it, but probably never will (haha), i would do it in black
Old 02-28-09, 10:33 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

black would be too dark for my cars color. lol
Old 02-28-09, 11:29 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

any one paint calipers f sport blue with f sport decals????
Old 03-01-09, 11:51 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

i used that duplicolor kit from pepboys. I probably applied about 4 coats and waited a week to apply the final 5th coat (finished today). I'm still waiting for the decals to come then i'll spray it with a couple layers of clear. It looks like its professionally painted.
The brush kit? Man that looks really good then. I tried the brush but it just wasn't workin. Dang I hate to wait, glad there's a local graphics shop near me. Took a day to make and $15

Quick Reply: Caliper Painting Question