Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 09:32 PM
xdanny91x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Buy An IS?

**Why BUY an IS**

Ok, so heres the deal:

*I'm about to graduate so my dad is going to by me a car, as he did for my older sister.
*My sister got the newest Honda Civic at that time which cost about $20,000-$24,000, I'm not too sure.
*I figure I can get a used Lexus IS 350, possibly 2006, for about the same price.

Here's the problem:
*My Dad will most likely be AGAINST buying a used car.
*His big problem is that it's better and cheaper in the long run to have the factory warranty and I guess he wants to have the sense of security that comes from buying a new car so there are no surprises.

Please Help.
How can I talk him into it?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-17-09, 09:39 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

if it is a certified pre-owned vehicle, doesn't it come with warranty? i am not too experienced because I just got my IS 350 and I am only 17 but when I was lookin around, certified pre-owned vehicles had extended warranty. you can use that. you can also tell him you got really good grades in school, and thus you deserve whichever car you desire. that's what got me the car. and a lot of scholarships to some top schools. but anywho, good luck with the search. oh... and lexus has amazing quality. like barely any problems. and customer service is stupendous. oh, and insurance sees the IS 350 as a sedan, so insurance rates won't go up. at least for traveler's insurance.
Old 02-17-09, 09:41 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

oh yeah. WELCOME TO CLUB LEXUS!!!... I guess it's a bit early to say that but hopefully you'll become one of us Club Lexus Forum addicts and get that IS 350.
Old 02-17-09, 09:41 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Lexus = reliable
306 hp
Old 02-17-09, 09:45 PM
xdanny91x
Driver School Candidate

I get really good grades too. But for him it's not really noticed. Good grades is just a natural thing in his eyes lol.

It would be a lot easier to maybe even ask for a new lexus and I'm willing to put money in, however he's in the middle of paying for my sisters wedding (like $40,000) which is in june.
Old 02-17-09, 09:46 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got my 2007 IS250 when I graduated as well ... Bought it used (Car was less than a year old at the time I bought it) ... and it came WITH factory warranty. My mom is the same... she had to have the warranty, and also got it extended it to 100,000 miles.

Used car = better value. Long as it is certified pre owned from a lexus dealership, that way you get all the new car benefits for a lower price!

Last edited by GiantsFan; 02-17-09 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 09:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with many of the posters.

Go with the CPO car which has the 3 year/100K miles Lexus warranty. The criteria for CPO cars is strict. That combined with Lexus/Toyota proven reliability and it's close to a new car in terms of low risk.

btw, the CPO warranty is a factory-backed Lexus warranty.
Old 02-17-09, 09:52 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xdanny91x
I get really good grades too. But for him it's not really noticed. Good grades is just a natural thing in his eyes lol.

It would be a lot easier to maybe even ask for a new lexus and I'm willing to put money in, however he's in the middle of paying for my sisters wedding (like $40,000) which is in june.
wait. "good grades being natural" sounds so asian. sounds like my parents. hahaha. am i right? or am i totally off?
Old 02-17-09, 09:54 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL
wait. "good grades being natural" sounds so asian. sounds like my parents. hahaha. am i right? or am i totally off?
haha.... my parents sound like that as well
Old 02-17-09, 09:59 PM
xdanny91x
Driver School Candidate

naaa my dad is Egyptian and lived in egypt until he was 20 or so (though you would never know by looking at me); and my mom was born in the US
Old 02-17-09, 10:11 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parents are the same way... they are totally against buying used cars; they have never and will never buy one for numerous reasons. But If you do not some reason buy a used one I think you can probably haggle them down to the $33.5-36k zone for a new IS350 in this economy.
Old 02-17-09, 10:18 PM
xdanny91x
Driver School Candidate

i think my parents will go for the CPO. I should have almost $10,000 of my personal money saved up by then from working. Hopefully he'll go for it.
Old 02-17-09, 10:25 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Wow.

I got a beat-to-hell old truck for my first vehicle, and was overjoyed to get that. Now you have kids saying good grades mean you deserve whatever car you desire?

Wow.

With that out of the way, the CPO cars are great, and the warranty can actually be extended farther out than a new car. You can go 6 years / 125K miles on a CPO car.
Old 02-17-09, 10:28 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Another good reason to buy new car is 2 years without wear&tear(hopefully).
Buying used mean you gotta replace something soon.

But right now, if you can buy new, HIGHLY recommend great deal. But used if you are within a budget.
Old 02-17-09, 10:31 PM
xdanny91x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalvano
Wow.

I got a beat-to-hell old truck for my first vehicle, and was overjoyed to get that. Now you have kids saying good grades mean you deserve whatever car you desire?

Wow.

With that out of the way, the CPO cars are great, and the warranty can actually be extended farther out than a new car. You can go 6 years / 125K miles on a CPO car.
Well, i have been using my parents old minivan for almost a year, and I never asked for a car...

However, if my dad intends to buy me a new car; I may as well try to go for the best i can.

Quick Reply: Why Buy An IS?