IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$150 for oil change...get outta here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 08:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are other services in that deal? My dealer charges me like $49 for an oil change and nothing else.
Old 02-19-09, 08:14 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You can't rotate the tires and what they don't tell you is that there are two tiers of oil change services. Ask for the "cheap" oil change which is like $50.
Old 02-19-09, 08:17 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always do it yourself or take it to iffylube.
Old 02-19-09, 08:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lol jiffy lube
Old 02-19-09, 08:22 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

You should bring your car to my garage and pay me $150 and i'll put in some good stuff for you. haha. Naw...$150 is ridiculous....i change my own oil...seriously this is how much i pay for my oil change:

Filter Wrench: $5.00
Oil: $45.00
Filter: $9.00

That's $59.00 only...try to learn to change the oil on your own

I use Mobil1 fully synthetic and oil filter from Lexus Dealership. Dont forget to ask them for the gasket that is for the oil plug. Good to change that as well.
Old 02-19-09, 09:01 AM
jason2713
Driver School Candidate

ha, i needed my 35K service, and they quoted me $170.

I asked them what was done thinking top off fluids, oil change, filter, test stuff, rotate tires, etc etc.

It was a oil change, filter, and a "road test"...I told the woman, oh great! so I get to have a mechanic joy ride in my IS350 to "road test" and that adds $100+ to my bill? I told her thanks but no thanks! Got it done for under $50 some where else.
Old 02-19-09, 09:22 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

where can you purchase a filter wrench?
Old 02-19-09, 11:24 AM
iLexi
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wowww I paid 170$ after taxes n shxt! I was like WTF dat cost way to much for the full 9yards of the oil change and the other stuff they be doing
Old 02-19-09, 11:47 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so are the:

check computer for errors
check fluid level

any important?
Old 02-19-09, 12:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Check computer for errors?

Is your check engine light on? If not, no errors. If it is, they have to address that, free, under warranty.

They'll generally check your fluids with any oil change anyway, but the only fluids in the car are coolant (can check yourself easily), windshield wiper fluid (ditto), transmission fluid (which is never changed and they'd notice a leak and report it), and engine oil (which is what they're changing)

Oh, well, and differential fluid, which they're not gonna check the level on unless they see it leaking, and again they'd report that anyway.
Old 02-19-09, 12:33 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

itis real easy to rotate tires all you need is a impact wrench and a floor jack. i rotate my tires twice a year when i switch my stockers to my spring summer fall rims
Old 02-19-09, 02:29 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Check computer for errors?

Is your check engine light on? If not, no errors. If it is, they have to address that, free, under warranty.

They'll generally check your fluids with any oil change anyway, but the only fluids in the car are coolant (can check yourself easily), windshield wiper fluid (ditto), transmission fluid (which is never changed and they'd notice a leak and report it), and engine oil (which is what they're changing)

Oh, well, and differential fluid, which they're not gonna check the level on unless they see it leaking, and again they'd report that anyway.
Way to save me money on my up coming 45k service. Remind me to send a red envelope to you next Chinese New Years
Old 02-20-09, 09:23 AM
xs2kdriver
Driver School Candidate

They tried to sell me on the 30k service. When I asked what it was it turned out to be an oil change (although they tried to make it sound a lot more complicated than that by listing every detail of the change), replace brake fluid, and change fluid in the rear diff. Lexus wants $499 for that service so you're paying basically $50 for an oil change and $450 to change out some fluids that cant take more than 30 min. to do...
Old 02-20-09, 09:34 AM
tmaung
Driver

Default Stealership

It is just a rip off. If you bring your own oil and get them to do it, it should be like $35 (that's about how much I remember paying Lexus). You cannot rotate your tires if they are staggered and the tires are unidirectional (at least mine are). Save yourself the trouble and tell them you want ONLY OIL CHANGE. I would prefer bringing your own mobil1 synthetic (if you want synthetic) because they will charge you close to $100 for synthetic.
Old 02-20-09, 10:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by player1
So I'm due for my first "paid" service coming up at 10k miles on my 350. I called my Lexus dealer to see how much it would be and she told me $150 which includes oil change, tire rotation, and some other obscure "maintenance" bs.

Anyhow, this $150 is ridiculous considering that I got oil changes done on my previous car (98 Nissan Maxima) for like 25 bucks.

If I brought my own motor oil and filter, it would be reduced to $110 (which is total bs).

I also found out that my Lexus dealer uses Kendall Motor Oil.

So I have a few questions and I'm hoping you all can provide some insight.

1. Paying $150 bucks for a damn oil change is absurd. What if I took it to my IS to my own mechanic that I've had for over 15 years and had him do the oil change? Would my warranty still be intact? What could/would Lexus do? If I do this (and if others have done this), do I just take my car to Lexus after the oil change and tell them to turn off the maintenance light?

2. Why doesn't Lexus use synthetic motor oil (I know its more costly but then again it's probably better for the engine in the long run)? If I bought my own synthetic motor oil and had Lexus do the service, my next oil change would be at 20k. What type of effect would this have on the next service? Would my next service be at 20K or 15k if I had them use synthetic? If they had me come in at 15k, obviously they would charge me again for the service but what exactly would they do if I didn't need an oil change (besides tire rotation)?

3. If I decide to buy my own motor oil and filter, what would you recommend for each?

I guess in summary what I'm trying to say is that I can't justify spending $150 for a simple oil change...what are my options?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Don't ask for a 10k, ask for an oil change. $40.00.

At 15k, get another oil change and change the air filter, and cabin filter yourself and save 300 bucks.

1. As long as you keep records of your services, your warranty will remain intact. I would imagine that your mechanic knows how to reset the light, or you could do it yourself, it's described in the owners manual. It does not require the Scan Tool.

2. The dealer doesn't use synthetic motor oil because it is not recommended by the manufacturer. There has never been scientific proof that demonstrates that synthetic oil will make an engine last longer. It would be impossible to prove. Save your money, use conventional 5w20

3. Always use an OEM oil filter just in case. If there were an oil related engine failure (extremely rare, BTW) and there were an aftermarket oil filter on your car, you would be out of luck as far as warranty goes. It's worth the 1 or 2 dollar premium.

Quick Reply: $150 for oil change...get outta here!