IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$150 for oil change...get outta here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 06:56 PM
player1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $150 for oil change...get outta here!

So I'm due for my first "paid" service coming up at 10k miles on my 350. I called my Lexus dealer to see how much it would be and she told me $150 which includes oil change, tire rotation, and some other obscure "maintenance" bs.

Anyhow, this $150 is ridiculous considering that I got oil changes done on my previous car (98 Nissan Maxima) for like 25 bucks.

If I brought my own motor oil and filter, it would be reduced to $110 (which is total bs).

I also found out that my Lexus dealer uses Kendall Motor Oil.

So I have a few questions and I'm hoping you all can provide some insight.

1. Paying $150 bucks for a damn oil change is absurd. What if I took it to my IS to my own mechanic that I've had for over 15 years and had him do the oil change? Would my warranty still be intact? What could/would Lexus do? If I do this (and if others have done this), do I just take my car to Lexus after the oil change and tell them to turn off the maintenance light?

2. Why doesn't Lexus use synthetic motor oil (I know its more costly but then again it's probably better for the engine in the long run)? If I bought my own synthetic motor oil and had Lexus do the service, my next oil change would be at 20k. What type of effect would this have on the next service? Would my next service be at 20K or 15k if I had them use synthetic? If they had me come in at 15k, obviously they would charge me again for the service but what exactly would they do if I didn't need an oil change (besides tire rotation)?

3. If I decide to buy my own motor oil and filter, what would you recommend for each?

I guess in summary what I'm trying to say is that I can't justify spending $150 for a simple oil change...what are my options?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-18-09, 07:13 PM
CapitalisT
Driver

I would have paid $137.90 for my 10k service....if it wasnt for the lexus pre-paid service package i purchased at time of vehicle delivery for $1595.....All service points paid for 100% except for normal wear items like brakes, tires etc. I'm covered up to 50k miles for services.

I'm sure if you go to the dealer and ask for the package you could work out a similar priced package.......the service costs from the dealer get very expensive once you get up to 30k+

Also note: Each service point 5,10,15,20,25,30k.... i've been given a loaner car as well (which included driving an is-f for the day )

Last edited by CapitalisT; 02-18-09 at 07:17 PM. Reason: +
Old 02-18-09, 07:20 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer your questions you don't have to go to the dealership to get your oil change, if you have a preferred shop take it there. $150 is way too much for your 10k service, just go buy some Royal Purple or Mobil1 5W-20 synthetic oil, do it yourself or take it to your preferred shop that charges you way less and call it a day. Our cars have staggered tire fitments so there's no such thing as rotation required. Other than that for your 10k you're fine, if you have any concerns about your car take it in and have it checked out, it's covered under warranty so no need to pay for concerns
Old 02-18-09, 07:22 PM
is25driver
Driver School Candidate

When I go in for an oil change I tell them that I want and oil change only and they charge me just $45. If I get all that other service stuff at my dealer it is $125. The benefit to me of going to the dealer is the free service car that they give me so I can go to work instead of waiting around in the dealrship for an hour and a half.
Old 02-18-09, 07:37 PM
Jeremy
Driver School Candidate

i think this thread will help out alot about your warranty questions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-warranty.html

also, synthetic oil is a must for your car, dont even think about putting in non. From a dealer I would say $80-$100 would be a fair price. the main price being the oil, like stated before i would go with mobile1 or royal purple but expect to pay a bit more for royal purple. I think mobile1 is around $8/qt
Old 02-18-09, 07:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
i think this thread will help out alot about your warranty questions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-warranty.html

also, synthetic oil is a must for your car, dont even think about putting in non. From a dealer I would say $80-$100 would be a fair price. the main price being the oil, like stated before i would go with mobile1 or royal purple but expect to pay a bit more for royal purple. I think mobile1 is around $8/qt
Mobil 1 is $23.22 for five quarts at Wal-Mart. Not even close to $8 a quart.
Old 02-18-09, 07:52 PM
Jeremy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Mobil 1 is $23.22 for five quarts at Wal-Mart. Not even close to $8 a quart.
ok well there you go, If you went to a autoparts store it would be more like $8 and at a gas station more like $12. Walyworld FTW i guess. I personally hate that place and will pay the extra just to avoid stepping foot in one of there stores
Old 02-18-09, 09:32 PM
xs2kdriver
Driver School Candidate

When I took my car into Lexus of portland today to get the Nav fixed I told them to do an oil change as well. They said "no problem. It will be $70.00 when you pick the car up tomorrow". When I asked why so much they showed me the breakdown on their computer. $43.00 for the labor! Are you f'n kidding me? When I told them to forget it and I would get the oil change at the Toyota dealership thats 30 min. closer to my house and only charges $37.00 they said they MIGHT be able to do a price match. Guess it could have been worse though...
Old 02-18-09, 09:36 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... most of us here in hawaii just borrow ISBU's toy640 wrench thingy and do our own
Old 02-18-09, 10:51 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

I had one done at the dealer for over $100. Then i found I could just do it anywhere. There's a chain at least here in TX called kwik car and even different stores vary. I found one that usually runs me 65 for the synthetic (a little more than expected since it holds so much oil). Next time around I think I'll give a DIY a try. Just to be doin it.
Old 02-18-09, 11:10 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

I usually bring my own oil and filter, they charge me 20 bucks for labor
Old 02-18-09, 11:45 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Whoa I didn't know Lexus offer prepaid services...only at certain dealership?

so the $1500 you paid for cover oil, oil filter, air filter, fluid? except tires& brakes pad?

But only after 60k miles is where the heavy services come in? The oil change start at 10k-50k, since first 5k is free. so kinda of paying $1500/9 oil changes...$160 a piece??
Old 02-19-09, 04:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_Demo
Whoa I didn't know Lexus offer prepaid services...only at certain dealership?

so the $1500 you paid for cover oil, oil filter, air filter, fluid? except tires& brakes pad?

But only after 60k miles is where the heavy services come in? The oil change start at 10k-50k, since first 5k is free. so kinda of paying $1500/9 oil changes...$160 a piece??
Yeah.... the pre-paid service is a pretty horrible deal since in the first 50k miles the car doesn't need anything worth doing except a brake fluid change at 30k, a couple air filter changes you can do yourself in 5 minutes at 15k, and oil changes.
Old 02-19-09, 06:02 AM
player1
Driver

Thanks for much for the feedback guys, I appreciate. So which synthetic oil and filter should I use? Should I go with 5W-30 or 10W-30 and how much will I need ( 4qts? 5qts?). What are your recommendations for the filter?

So if I take my own filter and motor oil to Lexus, what is the MAX I should pay for them to do it? Does anyone know what else they do at the 10k service besides the oil change that they may be charging for in the "$150" quoted price?

Thanks
Old 02-19-09, 07:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by player1
Thanks for much for the feedback guys, I appreciate. So which synthetic oil and filter should I use? Should I go with 5W-30 or 10W-30 and how much will I need ( 4qts? 5qts?). What are your recommendations for the filter?

So if I take my own filter and motor oil to Lexus, what is the MAX I should pay for them to do it? Does anyone know what else they do at the 10k service besides the oil change that they may be charging for in the "$150" quoted price?

Thanks

At 10k you need an oil change, and that's it.

On your bill they'll list a bunch of "checks" they did, that are largely BS, that they'd do anyway on a normal oil change, that they jack the bill up an extra $100 for.

(the exception would be an AWD 250 where you actually -can- rotate the tires)

Quick Reply: $150 for oil change...get outta here!