IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wheels with 45 offset: What size spacers for most aggressive look without rub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 11:10 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best you can do it....get the wheels first, and you will know how much do you need!
Old 02-22-09, 12:11 PM
fishnfool
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mdgrwl,

So, here's what I can tell you. Troy from 5axis is my buddy and he used my car for fitment testing of the Five:AD SF:5 wheels. My car at the time was dropped on the s-techs. For the 19x8.5 (front) with 235/35 tires, we tried the +45 and the wheels looked sucked in. We tried the +30 and it looked much better. Depending on tire size with the +30, you may need to heat the fender lining which is no big deal. As for the rears (19x9.5 with 265/30), the +45 looked sucked in again. Therefore, we went with the +35. IMO, the perfect choice. However, since you're going with 19x8.5 all around, the +30 in the back should be fine. Although a lower offset than mine, the 8.5 width will be slightly less aggressive. Bottomline, the +45s will look not give you the look you're looking for. Go with the +30. You will not have rubbing issues in the back and only slight issues in the front (fender lining rub that is easily fixed). Please keep in mind, it depends on what tire sizes you run and how much the car is lowered (slamming your car may cause more severe rubbing in the front depending on what size tires). Also, I'm assuming that the AWD and RWD have the same specs (fenders, suspension, etc.). Hope that helps.

fishnfool
Old 02-22-09, 01:45 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks dude... yeah, I looked at my measurements and decided to ditch the spacers and just go 30 all around. Keeps life simpe and per my calculations (and your input), they seem like the perfect fit all around.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-09, 02:09 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Commentary:

Ya know what trips me out. SO many people (not you original poster, I don't know your viewpoint on wheels) on this site scream about putting good quality wheels that cost a lot on their Lexus because it's a car that deserves the highest quality wheels. Those same people will often put down wheels that are lower cost. Those same people will buy expensive wheels then cut, chop and bend their Lexus to make them fit...like a Civic or something.
The OP seems to have decided to buy wheels that aren't the best fit, then cut on his car...or heat up the fender plastic to make it work. That's his choice, I don't agree but I can't complain about it. I just don't understand. Lot's of guys will chime in with negative comments at wheels that aren't expensive but say nothing when people want to cut on their car.
Old 02-22-09, 02:38 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
Commentary:

Ya know what trips me out. SO many people (not you original poster, I don't know your viewpoint on wheels) on this site scream about putting good quality wheels that cost a lot on their Lexus because it's a car that deserves the highest quality wheels. Those same people will often put down wheels that are lower cost. Those same people will buy expensive wheels then cut, chop and bend their Lexus to make them fit...like a Civic or something.
The OP seems to have decided to buy wheels that aren't the best fit, then cut on his car...or heat up the fender plastic to make it work. That's his choice, I don't agree but I can't complain about it. I just don't understand. Lot's of guys will chime in with negative comments at wheels that aren't expensive but say nothing when people want to cut on their car.
Not too sure if you really followed the math done on this thread or not but these wheels fit just about perfect with really no modding needed to do on my car except for maybe push in a little plastic nub that sticks out on the fender wall, which with a heat gun will take all of about 3 minutes. No 'cutting', no 'choping'. I don't know where your getting that from but these wheels (which I believe were designed specificaly for the IS) are basically a perfect fit.

Here's my thoughts... even if they weren't, and the offset only came in a 45 or so... simply because I love the way they look, and no other wheel looks remotley close to these, I would have no problem droping the extra buck twenty on spacers to fill them out.

Why go with wheels that aren't your first choice just because the math is a little better. Why not just do it right, get what you want and if you have to add some spacers, or pull out a heat gun and push in a tiny nub, at the end of the day, you got what you want and didn't settle for 2nd or 3rd place wheels just because the math worked out a little better... that, my friend I do not understand.