Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexus canada acknowledges the complaint

but they straight up say they arent doing anything about it
Old 02-25-09, 07:40 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they acknowledge the problem, but they don't want to do anything about it? my neighbor is a gm for a lexus dealership and he didn't know about the problem just because he hasn't sold many of them.

this guy in a different dealership in indy says that he's never heard of such a problem and that he HAS sold many manual transmissions. what a load of crap.

is anyone a lawyer in this forum?
i feel like i should go to law school just so that i can't get pushed around so easily
Old 02-25-09, 08:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

250s are about 80% of 2IS production...and only about 5% of those are manuals... so there's only about 2000 manuals sold in the entire US each year...I guess it depends on your definition of "many" but I'd be surprised if the average Lexus dealer sells more than 5-10 manuals a year given those numbers.
Old 02-25-09, 08:05 AM
tieu
Rookie

they dont necessarily acknowledge the "problem" per say, but they say it indirectly but they put it off saying its merely a design thing.
according to lexus canada

this is NOT a "problem" it is HOW THEY DESIGNED the transmission and all IS250 MT to drive. So change the word problem to design.. then yeah they acknowledge the way they designed the manual is250s. me and another guy in ontario have been speaking with the same rep at Lexus Canada. alot of other people have called, dealerships recognize complaints but no one will say its a problem, they will say thats how lexus designed the car...

I sent endless complaints, asked if they can work a deal to trade in my ****box for a automatic at the very least, nope. I asked the rep if they designed the cars to make noise when switching gears, he basically said yeah. Hes like the way we designed our cars is how it distinguishes its characteristics and traits oppose to other cars you drive, this is what makes it a IS250. after that I just laughed and knew I was going no wheree.
Old 02-25-09, 08:17 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

f'in A..........
Old 02-25-09, 09:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Well one thing is for sure, if it's not driver shifting technique then it's a mechanical problem. If it keeps up or you have been grinding grears for a while you will end up damaging the synchronizers and your car will start grinding more often even when the clutch is fully engaged. If it is only happening in 2nd and or 3rd gear under normal shifiting with the clutch fully engaged it could be that the 2nd/3rd gear sychronizer ring is shot, this is assuming of course the 2nd/3rd gear synchro are one in the same. If it was a transmission problem it would happen in every gear. And under this circumstance the dealer should/would be able to duplicate the probelm during a test drive. If the SA test drove the car and he is unable to duplicate it my guess is your are not fully engaging the clutch during spirited driving i.e. fast shifts. Just my $.02. Another thing to try is replacing the transmission fluid with a good synthetic and see if that helps.
Old 02-25-09, 11:21 AM
tieu
Rookie

a few people have used redline MT90 and it seems to help.
Its not grinding issues the transmission has its

2nd gear clunk noise.. when u shift from 1st to 2nd u will hear a nice clunk noise alot of the times
manual fluttering
grinding here and there

some problems me and a few are having are
when at a stop and trying to put it in first, you cant get it in.. until a couple tries and sometimes you feel the transmission literally shifting into 1st, like you can feel it from ur seat that the shift linkage is shifting itno 1st pretty hard. sometimes when shifting gears even with it fully depressed clutch.. the clutch isnt engaging
Old 02-25-09, 03:27 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tieu
a few people have used redline MT90 and it seems to help.
Its not grinding issues the transmission has its

2nd gear clunk noise.. when u shift from 1st to 2nd u will hear a nice clunk noise alot of the times
manual fluttering
grinding here and there

some problems me and a few are having are
when at a stop and trying to put it in first, you cant get it in.. until a couple tries and sometimes you feel the transmission literally shifting into 1st, like you can feel it from ur seat that the shift linkage is shifting itno 1st pretty hard. sometimes when shifting gears even with it fully depressed clutch.. the clutch isnt engaging
Again these symptoms appear to support a poor design with the 1st and 2nd gear sychronizers. Without having the benefit of seeing the transmission/sychro design details I have heard reports of owners of other model cars having similar problems which can be attributed or at least in part a contributer due to the synchronizer hub splines not being beveled. That said, putting your car into 1st before you come to a stop will prevent the issue, as will putting it in 2nd then back to 1st. Not the best solution but one that should help prevent having to force slamming into 1st. Arguably Lexus may have a point when they say, "it's how it was designed." Is it the best design, NO, but this is not the only system designed this way. Some owners of C6 corvettes experience similar problems due the design of the 1st/2nd gear sychronizers. Not saying this is what it is for sure, but sure sounds like it to me.

Last edited by cssnms; 02-25-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 09:27 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

i just got the point that maybe i should just never get a manual lexus again n trust the sport-tronic quickshifting lol. i regret not getting a 350 now anyway, and i think if the manual's were worth it, it would be available on the 350..i mean g37's, 350z's, audi a4 2.0T, 335i's..everybody drives these engines in stick..why would lexus not do that..because the manual trans. blows haha!..n dealers are always full of *****..they don't care..now i only had my car 7 months, know its not me grinding its the trans..installin the short shift this month and then eventually the f-sport clutch..maybe a difference but its just a hope. Hhaaha..pos.
Old 02-25-09, 09:33 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
Again these symptoms appear to support a poor design with the 1st and 2nd gear sychronizers. Without having the benefit of seeing the transmission/sychro design details I have heard reports of owners of other model cars having similar problems which can be attributed or at least in part a contributer due to the synchronizer hub splines not being beveled.
I want to say that the tech moderator lobuxracer posted a pretty detailed schematic of the IS250 transmission, but I don't know what thread it's in offhand.....
Old 02-25-09, 10:22 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

keep us updated once the short shifter and clutch is installed. not sure if i have read reviews on it yet from a member. ive read the short shifter takes care of a good amount of grinding but i dont know if anyone posted anything yet on the f sport clutch.
Old 02-25-09, 10:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I hear less clicking shifting from 1st to 2nd.....
Old 02-25-09, 11:44 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a youtube video review of the IS250 manual... says the F-Sport clutch with short shift option is so good - it should come from the factory like that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjMZKROeXY
Old 02-26-09, 08:31 AM
tieu
Rookie

definitely PM ME once you have that f clutch in there! Ive been debating for months to try out the f sport but never got solid break down review so I never opted for it yet, then again im only at 20 000kms 08.. so ill be wasting but again if the ****ty driving is fixed by the clutch then its so worth it.

I nothing but good for the short shift, but again, bad economy etc.. I will wait for the clutch review once someones put that in!
Old 02-26-09, 10:31 PM
orlando628
Pole Position

i had the same problem with my transmission i complain to the dealer and they replaced it for me

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission 3rd gear problem