IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what will the dealer do for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 07:57 AM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will the dealer do for me?

I just picked up a 2006 IS250 MT with 26k miles. The car has some minor issues. There is a clutch chatter and vibration I made a post about already. My other issues are :

-the drivers door squeakes so loud when you put any pressure on it
-The E brake stretched out you have to pull it sky high to work. Will they adjust the cables for me?
-Dash rattle
-Heated and cooled seats do not work and the button does not light up
-And will the dealer change the tranny fluid (tsb) if I ask?

My question is do you think the dealer will make good repair all these issues? I know they should but will they give me some BS story.... And I dont think they should be selling cars off a lot with these issues. To be honest I didnt notice all these things on the test drive. Thanks

Last edited by motojoe; 02-24-09 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 08:16 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez sounds like complaints I get all day long for Mercedes-Benz's..not typical of our cars, that's for sure THey should be able to address all of those, except the door panel, they'll probably tell you it's operating as designed..and do the transmission fluid yourself. get some royal purple MTL
Old 02-24-09, 08:30 AM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

As soon as I rest my leg agnst the door it sounds like a haunted house door. creaking...
If they wont change the tranny fluid Ill do it myself. What oil do you guys think is the best? Also How long does it take for the heated seats to get hot, I had them on for 20 minutes and not a drop warmer?
Old 02-24-09, 08:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by motojoe
As soon as I rest my leg agnst the door it sounds like a haunted house door. creaking...
If they wont change the tranny fluid Ill do it myself. What oil do you guys think is the best? Also How long does it take for the heated seats to get hot, I had them on for 20 minutes and not a drop warmer?
Less than 5 minutes. If the indicator light isn't on, maybe there's a blown fuse?
Old 02-24-09, 08:53 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Hey first off the six speed SUCKS!!! I know i have one myself just picked it up brand new a month ago now and nothing but problems with it. Let me guess it makes weird noises going into 2nd and 3rd. It makes a weird noise when leaving off the clutch in first gear and your clutch might stick a little when depressing it down and letting off of it. These are all problems well known on this forum. Big problem is that Lexus doesnt seem to care every body here with a six speed has complained and told lexus of its problem but still no fix. Lexus really dropped the ball with this one. I love my car dont get me wrong just the tranny is horrible. your das noise your hearing no one is sure of i think. You take it to lexus and they replace the widshield wiper clips but it doesnt fix the noise in the dash not sure why they would casue it in the first place. your door im not sure about sounds like the previous driver must have been really hard on it. clutch cable you might get them to fix but they will say it come with wear and tare on the car. Seat heaters never heard of them not working mine pretty set my seat on fire after 3 mins. Good luck man hopefully everything turns out ok for ya. Just these damn trannys are one big pain. Oh one other thing i heard that buying the f-sport clutch and short shifter fixs everything but i dont know and dont want to fork that kinda money over either.
Old 02-24-09, 09:19 AM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

Im starting to wonder if this tranny is going to crap out and not last me the life of the car. I planned to keep it for the long hall too. Ive only had the car for 5 days.
Old 02-24-09, 09:43 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear all your issues. I think most of the problems your dealership should be able to fix, except for the tranny thing, it's common, and they're not doing a thing about it. I think that's the thing that bothers drivers the most, if I was in this case, and know they won't do anything about it, knowing it's really going to affect me, i'd probably just buy the f-sport clutch and short shifter. not sure how much it is, but i know they are quite expensive. a good mod none the less.
Old 02-24-09, 10:06 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

I love manual transmissions but all the issues people on here seem to have turned me off and that's why I decided on the auto instead.
Old 02-24-09, 10:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you can get both parts from sewell...not sure if the sale ended yet?
Old 02-24-09, 11:46 AM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

A clutch and short shifter is not a problem and can always be replaced down the line. Its the sincros, bearings, forks and all the other things I worry about. Clutches are designed to wear and Ill accept that but grinding gears is a problem. As of now my tranny shifts silky smooth and I have no grinds at all. Its just when I take off and the pedal is almost all the way up the car will jerk a few times. Its like the clutch does not know if it should bite or slide. Im thinking the fly wheel could have a glazed over hot spot or maybe be warped??? I want this car to last. I like it a lot and not the tranny problems people speak of worry me. Who has a bullet proof is250 MT????????????
Old 02-24-09, 01:06 PM
rscott22
Pole Position

yeah i have a hard time getting grip in first gear it always seems like it wants to buck a little. and its embarassing ive only driven manual cars since ive been driving and never had one problem but this car has been nothing but problems with the damn tranny!!!!
Old 02-24-09, 01:20 PM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

What other problems is there? I have seen gears grinding and clunking on the forum. But my question is does any one with some solid lexus knowledge think this tranny will last the life of the car? Like I said, it shifts fine for me. Its just the initial take off chatters really bed and Im not a newbe to stick by any means.... Who thinks I should try and return this car. Ive had it for only 5 days and Im freaking out now thinking it was a bad buy.
Old 02-24-09, 01:35 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm it all depends where and how you guys bought the car. If you guys bought it "AS IT IS" from a small dealership their always going to hesitate to fix anything. Or you can try to bring it back to the dealership and have them address any problems.
Old 02-24-09, 02:35 PM
motojoe
Driver School Candidate

The car is still under factory warrenty so Im thinking they should take care of me. I just dont want them to tell me the clutch is supposed to chatter and jerk like that. Please all you MT owners, Is there any of you out there with high milage and no problems??? Please respond
Old 02-24-09, 03:33 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

The clutch in the IS250M is pretty abrupt, in my opinion, which can make starting out smoothly in first a bit tricky.

That rattling noise is also apparently "normal." I had my clutch, flywheel and all associated parts replaced under warranty, and it was only quiet and smooth for a few hundred miles, and then it was back to the "jar of marbles" again......I've gotten the impression from reading on this forum that the flywheel is the ultimate culprit.

Anyway, feel free to search on my user name, or even just do a search on the word "marbles." I've posted a lot of information on these issues in the past.

Quick Reply: what will the dealer do for me?