IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10 | 09:29 AM
Stun350
Rookie

Took my 08 350 for this problem and the dealership fixed this at no charge. Goodluck!
Old 11-29-10 | 10:30 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

I'm wondering for those who still have a few years left in their warranty if they should wait until the last minute, or get it done right away...
Old 11-29-10 | 10:43 AM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

Default ?

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I have the same issue, mine started at 3 months.. Whats up with that?
3 months?! wtf
Old 11-29-10 | 03:55 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I had my lower windshield seals replaced under warranty earlier this year. Dealer didn't ask me twice about it. However, the car now makes a whistling/gust of wind noise from that area, right around 40 mph. I now have to take it back in and try to convince them their work must have thrown something off.
My side window valances are also cracked on both sides. Actually, they are not cracked, they are rippled. Is that how yours is too? My car was delivered new that way. I brought it up to one dealer and they declined replacing it. A second dealer said they would next time I bring it in. At this point I'm nervous having any stock parts replaced out, being it often causes ill fit or rattles.
Is the whistling noise noticeable when the radio is on?
Old 11-29-10 | 05:06 PM
omgswifty
Pole Position

they covered my fender liner fully, but that was when i first bought the car and it came broken. nowadays they're more resilient to replace anything broken covered under warranty since my car is decked out in mods =.=.
Old 11-29-10 | 08:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by intellis
Is the whistling noise noticeable when the radio is on?
Very slightly. But I turn off the radio to hear the whistle and try to pinpoint where exactly it's coming from. What's super annoying is it won't whistle all the time. It only whistles when it's breezy or windy out and I am heading into the wind or if it's blowing from right to left. Trying to get the dealer to replicate that is going to be a challenge. But otherwise, the noise is always faintly there and it didn't start until I had the corner seals replaced.
Old 11-29-10 | 08:41 PM
intellis
Pole Position

thanks for bringing that up.
Old 11-30-10 | 03:58 PM
Micaiah

Okay so you guys all freaked me out and I ran out to go check Micaiah. Sure enough, he's cracking.

I was a bit scared because at first they said that they were not sure if they will be able to cover it, since it's something that is exposed to the sun and subject to cracking, weather, etc. I pointed out that this car is a 2009, I've had it for almost five months, and it's obviously been kept inside it's entire life.

To show that this car was well taken care of, I also threw in the fact that it was executive owned, and that records show it was kept up to the T on all of it's required services, by that place in Torrence where only the employee cars go (I showed them the sticker).

The manager called whoever it was they called at corporate and after running a check on his VIN number I got the okay.

Thank God. Thank you Lexus.

I've got an appt first thing in the morning to have the seals replaced. I was even told that they will have coffee, donuts and bagels there.

For those of you who haven't checked, go check your cars now.

Last edited by Micaiah; 11-30-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-30-10 | 05:19 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Glad it all worked out for you. Sounds like I'll need to have a good story since mine is an '06.
Old 11-30-10 | 06:20 PM
Micaiah

Just tell them the truth, that amongst your friends this was a topic that was brought up. The reason they had to check if it was warrantied is because the service manager said he never heard of this before. When he called corporate, they okay'd it and gave him a number so they can get reimbursed. I wouldn't worry. At least I started the ball on this out her in our area.

Oh and FYI, they are going to replace the seals to the left and to the right of the windshield, without having to touch the glass at all. He showed me how it just pops out. All they are going to do is pop them out and put the new ones back in the clips that are on the edges of the glass.

Last edited by Micaiah; 11-30-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-30-10 | 06:35 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default Good turn out on the widow seals

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Just tell them the truth, that amongst your friends this was a topic that was brought up. The reason they had to check if it was warrantied is because the service manager said he never heard of this before. When he called corporate, they okay'd it and gave him a number so they can get reimbursed. I wouldn't worry. At least I started the ball on this out her in our area.

Oh and FYI, they are going to replace the seals to the left and to the right of the windshield, without having to touch the glass at all. He showed me how it just pops out. All they are going to do is pop them out and put the new ones back in the clips that are on the edges of the glass.
Good to hear!

Mine is an '07, and the service history has been followed up on it as well. Even though I bought the car used last year, I am going to tell them that I use a car cover on a daily basis and this should not be cracking so quickly. I really believe that Lexus used a bad batch of rubber on this one.
Old 11-30-10 | 07:04 PM
Micaiah

I'm wondering if other models are affected.

Last edited by Micaiah; 11-30-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-30-10 | 08:48 PM
intellis
Pole Position

good question.
Old 11-30-10 | 11:08 PM
shiny250
Advanced

i was washing my car today and noticed the window seals on my car cracking as well. pieces even fell off when i wiped the car down. my warranty just expired so most likely i wont be able to get mine replaced
Old 12-01-10 | 06:03 AM
Micaiah

Perhaps if you mention that this seems to be an ongoing problem they can research it for you?

Quick Reply: Is this covered under warranty?