IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Redout Tail Lights IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09 | 03:40 PM
is350og
Driver School Candidate

Default Redout Tail Lights IS350

I saw an IS350 with redout tail lights today.....I was wondering if there is other ways of doing it besides putting vinyl?

Or is Vinyl the only way of doing it?

I searched couple sites and came to this website

http://www.rvinyl.com/redout/kits/is350.htm

Does anyone have this on their cars? And can you actually see the film?

Thanks
Old 02-25-09 | 03:47 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by is350og

Does anyone have this on their cars? And can you actually see the film?

Thanks
I have this kit on my car and it's clean....if you stuck your face up to it yes you can see the outline of the vinyl sticker. But standing just 2 ft away, you won't be able to tell a lick. It's clean, the color match makes it look as if that's the way the light came. If you buy this kit, install using dry method (i.e. just peel and stick on slowly and carefully - using edge to force out any bubbles). My gf did this for my car as a surprise..so if she can do it...you can do it fashoz.

I guess if you didn't want to use vinyl you could replace your entire rear light...the ISF OEM rear light housing is pretty sweet if you can swing the cost.

Good Luck
Old 02-25-09 | 03:51 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexminster
I guess if you didn't want to use vinyl you could replace your entire rear light...the ISF OEM rear light housing is pretty sweet if you can swing the cost.

Good Luck
AND~ you still can put redouts the ISF tails too
Old 02-25-09 | 03:53 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I would wrap the whole light, looks 10x cleaner, and it only cost a couple of bucks more.

or you can have a body shop paint the tails for ya.
Old 02-25-09 | 04:10 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
AND~ you still can put redouts the ISF tails too
Modding a mod...dude, that's major style points...why don't you put a "+1" in that category for yourself....niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Old 02-25-09 | 04:25 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

The pre-cut redouts sold by RVINYL IMO is the best way to go.

at one point, early on in 2006, I got the redouts from RVINYL and they were a mess to put on and ultimately looked cheap because of the fit...but now with pre-cuts, it looks very clean to me.
Old 02-25-09 | 04:30 PM
is350og
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexminster
I have this kit on my car and it's clean....if you stuck your face up to it yes you can see the outline of the vinyl sticker. But standing just 2 ft away, you won't be able to tell a lick. It's clean, the color match makes it look as if that's the way the light came. If you buy this kit, install using dry method (i.e. just peel and stick on slowly and carefully - using edge to force out any bubbles). My gf did this for my car as a surprise..so if she can do it...you can do it fashoz.

Good Luck

Ok, just ordered the RVinyl Kit and I'll see if I can put it on....If i can't....well
Old 02-25-09 | 06:40 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Originally Posted by is350og
Ok, just ordered the RVinyl Kit and I'll see if I can put it on....If i can't....well
If you mess up, write Rvinyl and they will send you a new kit for free - all you have to do is pay for shipping. This has happened to several of my friends, and Rvinyl sent them new kits free of charge (they make a killing off of the sale price already - enough to make up for a replacement kit many times over)

You'll do fine....my kit actually wraps around the edge closest to the trunk opening - all my friends have said to start on that edge (trunk opening) and go towards the outer side of the car i.e. line the very edge of the kit up wtih the very edge of the yellow blinker (by trunk opening) and work your way out...take your time and do not rush...nice and easy...steady does it....

Good Luck
Old 02-25-09 | 07:25 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

I have the Aerotect red vinyl which is just like the RVinyl ... put it on in about 15 min total including cleaning the tails and haven't really thought much about it since.

the Aerotect recommended way to stick them on was the wet method however, which has you spray the tail light lens and the vinyl with soapy water, then you have about a minute or so of time in which you can move and adjust the sticker before it dries and sticks for good. Rather than having to be all slick and stick it perfect in one shot. The way I see it, the wet method is what professional tinters and clear bra installers use, who am I to go against that. But like the guys above said it really is pretty straight forward and it looks good, either way you do it it's not going to look like much once you put it on, it's not noticeable that it's vinyl stuck on there.
Old 02-25-09 | 09:09 PM
ohno
Lead Lap

IS-f Tails or redouts. The Vinyl will last. Plus its a lot cheaper than buying IS-f tails.
Old 02-25-09 | 09:28 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I had the guy that tinted my windows apply my vinyl on my fogs and tail lights. He did an excellent job.
Old 02-25-09 | 09:56 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

i have the rvinyl kit too but they still vinyls if that is what your asking
Old 02-27-09 | 12:12 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

when you apply the red outs, its important to use a solution of water/soap because it prevents finger prints on the sticky side and also any oil from your fingers to get on the vinyl.
Old 02-27-09 | 02:18 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL
when you apply the red outs, its important to use a solution of water/soap because it prevents finger prints on the sticky side and also any oil from your fingers to get on the vinyl.
Actually, for the pre-cut kit you don't need a soapy solution because there is an application sheet which allows you to install without ever having to touch the vinyl. Just clean light well with alcohol, apply the sheet, then remove the application sheet. Done.
Old 02-27-09 | 03:03 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

you can actually get red spray as well. However, the red spray doesn't really hold up to multiple carwashes and etc etc. So you're gonna have to clear it after you spray it red. they have smoked for the spray stuff too.