IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**DIY TOM'S/BLITZ THROTTLE CONTROL (56k Warning) **

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 10:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Acceleration lag? What lag? You guys are funny. There is zero lag in the system, there's a perception of lag in your head. Drive an IS-F in normal mode, then sport mode. The car is no faster in either mode, but in sport mode the throttle response is completely different (more like a 350) so the car feels quicker when in fact, you just need to press harder on the gas to make it go just as quickly in normal mode.

At the end of the day, you'll install this thing, get used to it, and complain again about how you'd like more power. Tom's box is like putting a 1/4 turn throttle on your motorcycle. It feels different, and you might even like it a lot, but it doesn't change the performance in any way. FWIW, I've put a lot of quick turn throttles on bikes and they're great for what they do, but I'm really not feeling $400 to temporarily fool my foot.
Old 03-01-09, 01:17 PM
Kintoun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair for clarification there is electronic lag which is "The pedal is at 100% throttle, does this system know this yet?" And there is physical lag which is "With my foot I need to push the pedal 2 more inches in order to get the pedal to 100% throttle".

This device reduces the physical lag. i.e. You need to only move your foot 2 inches to achieve 100% throttle instead of 4 inches. And that, is meaningless in the overall picture. Even from a stop.

As everyone has been saying this is just a device that increases the sensitivity of your gas. Definitely would make your car feel faster for everyday driving.
Old 03-01-09, 10:15 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokyis350
This is what happen when people don't read the thread and start making assumptions..

Yeah, it doesn't make your car faster.. but how often do you race? This is for people who drive their car normally and want a quicker throttle response. Btw, PWR mode is on par with the lowest mode on the unit. I will put your imagination on the highest mode..
im gonna have to agree with you on this one. Even if you don't see a drastic increase, i'm sure it still makes your car noticibly quicker.

Anyways, how much does this Throttle control cost?
Old 03-01-09, 11:29 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Videos are up on post #1.

Edit: Btw, does anyone know how to embed the video?
Old 03-11-09, 07:34 PM
rli2bcz
Pole Position

just got it. this thing is amazing...i think everyone should have this!
Old 03-11-09, 09:00 PM
Emarati_K
Lead Lap

Is this giving any gain?
Old 03-11-09, 09:30 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Acceleration lag? What lag? You guys are funny. There is zero lag in the system, there's a perception of lag in your head. Drive an IS-F in normal mode, then sport mode. The car is no faster in either mode, but in sport mode the throttle response is completely different (more like a 350) so the car feels quicker when in fact, you just need to press harder on the gas to make it go just as quickly in normal mode.

At the end of the day, you'll install this thing, get used to it, and complain again about how you'd like more power. Tom's box is like putting a 1/4 turn throttle on your motorcycle. It feels different, and you might even like it a lot, but it doesn't change the performance in any way. FWIW, I've put a lot of quick turn throttles on bikes and they're great for what they do, but I'm really not feeling $400 to temporarily fool my foot.
couldnt have said it any better
Old 03-11-09, 09:42 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

very nice write up!
Old 03-12-09, 03:23 AM
jonjon83
Lexus Test Driver

sun auto has the same device but cheaper...i have it on my car and its cool just not digital, but a **** to switch modes
Old 03-12-09, 04:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Emarati_K
Is this giving any gain?
Only in peoples imaginations
Old 03-12-09, 04:25 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
acceleration lag? What lag? You guys are funny. There is zero lag in the system, there's a perception of lag in your head. Drive an is-f in normal mode, then sport mode. The car is no faster in either mode, but in sport mode the throttle response is completely different (more like a 350) so the car feels quicker when in fact, you just need to press harder on the gas to make it go just as quickly in normal mode.

At the end of the day, you'll install this thing, get used to it, and complain again about how you'd like more power. Tom's box is like putting a 1/4 turn throttle on your motorcycle. It feels different, and you might even like it a lot, but it doesn't change the performance in any way. Fwiw, i've put a lot of quick turn throttles on bikes and they're great for what they do, but i'm really not feeling $400 to temporarily fool my foot.
++1 ^^^^^^^^
Old 03-28-09, 03:09 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

anyone that has this experiance any problems? like unstable idle?
Old 05-03-09, 07:02 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Great write up! I'm glad you have pictures and everything. I just ordered this for my IS-F.
Old 01-01-12, 09:32 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that I would add a bit to this thread. I just installed the Blitz throttle controller and I can definitely tell the difference. I cannot say that it is as exciting as driving a manual in terms of downshifting and pushing the car to its limit under your own control but it is definitely worth the money. I have a 2008 IS350 and with the added power over my 2005 IS300 I can honestly say that this is the most like a manual I have driven that is an auto.

The installation was very easy to accomplish (thanks for the DIY). The only issue I really had was working in the tight space to access the harness on the accelerator.

Overall to this point (not really a large sampling of driving) but I am more satisfied with this mod rather than intakes and exhausts I have purchased in the past.
Old 01-01-12, 12:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
I thought that I would add a bit to this thread. I just installed the Blitz throttle controller and I can definitely tell the difference. I cannot say that it is as exciting as driving a manual in terms of downshifting and pushing the car to its limit under your own control but it is definitely worth the money. I have a 2008 IS350 and with the added power over my 2005 IS300 I can honestly say that this is the most like a manual I have driven that is an auto.

The installation was very easy to accomplish (thanks for the DIY). The only issue I really had was working in the tight space to access the harness on the accelerator.

Overall to this point (not really a large sampling of driving) but I am more satisfied with this mod rather than intakes and exhausts I have purchased in the past.

And after a few weeks your brain will tune the changes back out and you'll be driving just like you were before.

That's the problem with paying hundreds of bucks for a device that isn't doing anything other than telling the ECU you pressed the gas harder, eventually you'll just press the gas even less hard and go back to your normal driving.

If your natural habit was to drive more aggressively you'd be hitting the gas harder in the first place and getting the exact same "performance" the throttle controller is giving you now, just without costing you anything.

The only way a thing like this will have any "lasting" effect is if you only use it once in a while to avoid your brain re-tuning your gas pedal touch.

Quick Reply: **DIY TOM'S/BLITZ THROTTLE CONTROL (56k Warning) **