IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**DIY TOM'S/BLITZ THROTTLE CONTROL (56k Warning) **

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 07:04 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And after a few weeks your brain will tune the changes back out and you'll be driving just like you were before.

That's the problem with paying hundreds of bucks for a device that isn't doing anything other than telling the ECU you pressed the gas harder, eventually you'll just press the gas even less hard and go back to your normal driving.

If your natural habit was to drive more aggressively you'd be hitting the gas harder in the first place and getting the exact same "performance" the throttle controller is giving you now, just without costing you anything.

The only way a thing like this will have any "lasting" effect is if you only use it once in a while to avoid your brain re-tuning your gas pedal touch.
The idea of this device is not to use it on a regular basis. I will not get used to it and get bored as I drive a Mazda 3 as a daily. As for getting bored with it for others, that is a possibility but the fact of the matter is we add intakes and exhausts and we can't tell a difference and we certainly get bored with those whether you will admit it or not. The throttle controller is significantly less money than an exhaust.
Old 01-02-12, 08:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
The idea of this device is not to use it on a regular basis. I will not get used to it and get bored as I drive a Mazda 3 as a daily. As for getting bored with it for others, that is a possibility but the fact of the matter is we add intakes and exhausts and we can't tell a difference and we certainly get bored with those whether you will admit it or not. The throttle controller is significantly less money than an exhaust.
I paid $400 for my used, perfect condition, Tanabe... that's the same amount I see the blitz controller selling for.

I paid about $200 for my F-sport intake, and even now $300 is a common price, which is in fact less than the blitz/toms unit.

And unlike the throttle controllers, the intake and exhaust actually provide real, measurable, performance improvements (albeit small ones), not imaginary placebo ones.

Believe me, I spent weeks testing and analyzing what the throttle controller actually does, and does not do. I didn't find it would be worth $400 to fool myself for a couple days at a time by letting the little box lie about how much gas I gave the car.... both because after a few days you tune the effect back out if you keep using it, and because I could get the same effect just pushing the gas harder if I really wanted it.

Now, if other folks decide they want to spend the $400 (or less for one of the cheaper controllers that do the exact same thing), knowing that all it's doing is fooling them with an effect they could get themselves for free, and that only works at all if you use it occasionally at most, that's fine. You appear to fall exactly into that category, especially since it's in use on an occasional-driver.

I just want to be sure folks know what they're getting... (which is why I invested weeks of my time in the original test and write-up I did... where I agreed it was a "fun" device as long as you let it fool you, and don't use it more than a couple days at a time... but that it provided no actual, measurable, performance benefit).

and the good news for those who still want to try it is (at least in the case of the model I tested) the install or removal is quite easy once you've done it once, so if you do want to try it and decide it's not worth it, it's simple to remove and then resell.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-02-12 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-17-12, 02:57 PM
jgarrido
Driver

hey guys can someone tell me if the blitz eliminates the gap in pedar acceleration, (especially in manual transmission) I just wanna know, I do not want opinion. thanks ...
Old 08-17-12, 05:34 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

with team Kurtz on this.
I just push my peddle down half way for free and don't feel any lag.
Old 08-17-12, 07:44 PM
vboi4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have Apexi Throttle control.it does make the diff.its not like you push hard on pedal like Kurt said.he did tell me before.i did buy one and try out.i put on pwd mod and turn on to high throttle.it does make the car pick up quick.if you dont believed me.i always welcome to do quick race to test out.it does work.if it does not work like you think.keep it like a toy.i like it

Last edited by vboi4life; 08-17-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 08:00 PM
jgarrido
Driver

ok guys but to me what interests me is the linear response,
Manual transmission requires a rapid throttle especially in first gear.
working the throttle so as not gap? .
I heard that the blitz (japan) works very well ...
Old 08-18-12, 06:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vboi4life
i have Apexi Throttle control.it does make the diff.its not like you push hard on pedal like Kurt said.he did tell me before.i did buy one and try out.i put on pwd mod and turn on to high throttle.it does make the car pick up quick.if you dont believed me.i always welcome to do quick race to test out.it does work.if it does not work like you think.keep it like a toy.i like it

I don't believe you because you're wrong

I did extensive 0-60 testing with an accelerometer and a throttle controller and it made NO difference whatsoever in any mode including off.

A moment of thought will prove this... floored is floored.

A plug-in device that just lies about how far you pressed the gas (which is exactly what your device does- and all it does) can't lie any bigger than "100%"

Your car is exactly as fast in a race as it was before you installed the thing, guaranteed.
Old 08-18-12, 07:36 PM
jgarrido
Driver

this device is an electronic circuit with a microprocessor with pre-state values ​​recorded, there's no doubt.
the process of converting the signal into digital values ​​(1 and 0) by delivering to the ECU saves processing time (msec) and thus the throttle acts faster (as if it were linear).
do not believe us this is great?
otherwise, is connected between the pedal and the ECU (not series) 4 wires + and - and two more for the multiplexed signal ok.
so I think that for fast throttle response that we want above all to manual transmission is a good choice ... thanks
Old 08-18-12, 09:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgarrido
this device is an electronic circuit with a microprocessor with pre-state values ​​recorded, there's no doubt.
the process of converting the signal into digital values ​​(1 and 0) by delivering to the ECU saves processing time (msec) and thus the throttle acts faster (as if it were linear).
Uh... what?

This device plugs in between the gas pedal and the plug that normally goes into the gas pedal.

All it's doing is taking an existing throttle signal and adding an additional amount to it, then sending it along to the ECU. It sends it in exactly the same format it received it in, it's not "converting" anything.

So if you press the gas 10%, it reads that 10% signal, then passes on a "15%" or whatever instead.

It lies to the ECU about how far you pressed the gas.

That's all it does. That's all it can do given where it is. It doesn't "save" any microprocessor time. It takes a signal that says X and changes it to one that says X+Y.

That's it.

otherwise, is connected between the pedal and the ECU (not series) 4 wires + and - and two more for the multiplexed signal ok.

Right. It does nothing but modify the OEM throttle signal from the gas pedal. Lying to the ECU about how far you pressed it.

You get the same result, free, by having just pressed the gas pedal harder.

Seriously, I tested this stuff over a course of weeks in various ways. If it actually improved performance it'd still be on my car.

Sample 0-60 data from my testing:

Off:

Setting 1:

Setting 2:

Off again:

It's probably safe to say there was a touch of the engine heating after the first 1-2 runs, but times remained very consistent after that point... never varying more than 0.05 seconds between runs, regardless of the device being on at any setting or off entirely.

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-18-12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 08:57 AM
jgarrido
Driver

Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor
The accelerator pedal contains 2 individual accelerator pedal position (APP) sensors within the assembly. The APP sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with 3 circuits:
• A 5-volt reference circuit
• A low reference circuit
• A signal circuit
The APP sensors are used to determine the pedal angle.
This is analog technology so you need to convert it to digital form (binary code) between one of the things to process.
I am thinking of buying (blitz) on anyone who has a single button.
thanks kurtz(sorry im spanish guy)
Old 08-19-12, 11:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor
The accelerator pedal contains 2 individual accelerator pedal position (APP) sensors within the assembly. The APP sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with 3 circuits:
• A 5-volt reference circuit
• A low reference circuit
• A signal circuit
The APP sensors are used to determine the pedal angle.
This is analog technology so you need to convert it to digital form (binary code) between one of the things to process.
Uh... again... what?

I understand the words, they just don't make any sense in the way you're using them.

The ECU receives the signal from the pedal sensors.

It's getting the same type of signal from the throttle controller... just the signal reads a higher value because the throttle controller lies about how far the pedal was pressed.

There's no "conversion" being saved or done by the controller since on the outgoing end of the controller is the same receiver as before, expecting the same type of signal as before.

It wouldn't even make any sense to convert the signal AT the throttle controller, because then the downstream ECU wouldn't be receiving the type of signal it's expecting.

Seriously, all the aftermarket things are doing is taking signal of type X and value Y and then passing along instead a signal of type X, and value Z, where Z is larger than Y.

Press the pedal harder without the controller and you get the exact same result.

To map it out for you:

Case 1) Without controller you press pedal 10%. Signal goes to ECU you pressed 10%. You get the resulting amount of acceleration the ECU is programmed to give you at 10% throttle.

Case 2) WITH the controller you press pedal 10%. Signal goes to controller you pressed 10%. Controller instead passes along a signal you pressed it 16%. You get the resulting amount of acceleration the ECU is programmed to give you at 16% throttle.

You get the same result as case 2 without the controller if you just press the pedal 16% to begin with.
Old 08-19-12, 12:06 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Thanks Kurtz for ruining my DIY thread
Old 08-19-12, 12:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Thanks Kurtz for adding accurate data to my DIY thread
Fixed that for ya!
Old 08-19-12, 01:13 PM
jgarrido
Driver

im sorry Kurtz......
Old 08-19-12, 05:39 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Go take the argument through PM. leave this thread for DIY questions only.