DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noz do you work at attic?
Old 03-02-09, 09:29 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish there was a mod to run with fogs only...
Old 03-02-09, 09:39 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Tried this and doesn't work for me so I guess it's just you.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I wish there was a mod to run with fogs only...
I'm pretty sure there is. I think the user "A/C" had his done in Russia and they used some Lexus computer system or something and if I remember corerctly he transferred the car from the US.
Old 03-02-09, 10:14 PM
Noz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew
noz do you work at attic?
I don't work there, but a couple of my friends run the place so they slapped on the plate frames. Do you shop there?

I guess something's wrong with my car then. I hope it's nothing major.
Old 03-02-09, 10:44 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

yea ive been there a good amount. a good friend of mind owns 3sixteen and stops by often. attic also helped me out when my gsr broke down in their parking lot. hahaha.
Old 03-03-09, 12:05 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Yeah since july 2008 its became the law to turn on your headlights when you use your wipers.
so what if you just squirt your windshield? *something ive never done yet myself*
Old 03-03-09, 12:29 AM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

yeh that happened too me too
Old 03-03-09, 12:52 AM
A/C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjl2007
Does anyone know how to do the ACTUAL mod?
You need to get a smart electronics tech to modify regional settings software in your dashboard computer. "Fogs w/o headlights" is a part of Euro regional settings software, so you'll need to replace this part in your US software with Euro. Same way you can get rid of TPMS (I noticed that people with aftermarket wheels would love to do it) since there's no TPMS for Euro versions.

I got my software modified, so my IS250 AWD from USA has fogs w/o headlights, TPMS on (cus I like it, otherwise I could just use unmodified Euro software), kilometers, litres and Celcius measurements
Old 03-03-09, 08:52 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Yeah since july 2008 its became the law to turn on your headlights when you use your wipers.
Even if your just trying to get the bugs off?
Old 03-03-09, 11:05 AM
Sodeti
Rookie

Originally Posted by A/C
You need to get a smart electronics tech to modify regional settings software in your dashboard computer. "Fogs w/o headlights" is a part of Euro regional settings software, so you'll need to replace this part in your US software with Euro. Same way you can get rid of TPMS (I noticed that people with aftermarket wheels would love to do it) since there's no TPMS for Euro versions.

I got my software modified, so my IS250 AWD from USA has fogs w/o headlights, TPMS on (cus I like it, otherwise I could just use unmodified Euro software), kilometers, litres and Celcius measurements
Can you explain a bit further about the software modification to allow for TPMS off mode...?

Right now I just have my tires close to my parking spot and I get it to sync before driving off somewhere...it gives me about 40 miles before the light comes on...

Also, is there any evidence of components failing due to the auto functionality? I would assume that the engineers have designed the function with intermittent shadows/low level lighting conditions in mind ie a delay function. I have some family members who have cars with the auto function and their lights seem to be working fine for several years...Nissan Murano is an example..
Thanks,

Last edited by Sodeti; 03-03-09 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 12:14 PM
A/C
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodeti
Can you explain a bit further about the software modification to allow for TPMS off mode...?

Right now I just have my tires close to my parking spot and I get it to sync before driving off somewhere...it gives me about 40 miles before the light comes on...

Also, is there any evidence of components failing due to the auto functionality? I would assume that the engineers have designed the function with intermittent shadows/low level lighting conditions in mind ie a delay function. I have some family members who have cars with the auto function and their lights seem to be working fine for several years...Nissan Murano is an example..
Thanks,
Ok there are atleast three kinds of regional settings software (they call it 'dump') that I tested. 1) USA (miles, galons, F, TPMS active, fogs only with headlights) 2) Canada (km's (i think), galons, C, no TPMS (I think), fogs with headlights) 3) Euro (kms, litres, C, no TPMS, fogs w/o headlights). Probably there is UK version too but I had no reason to test it.

All those kinds of software are included into Intelligent tester 2 (a computer tool dealers and certain shops use to configure car settings, read errors, enter TPMS sensor codes etc etc), and can be easily uploaded into the car if you need to change them.

Hard case is when you need partially modified settings software (like in my case). I'm not a tech but I can tell what I saw. A technician removed my dashboard, somehow connected it to his laptop, manually extracted the settings software (USA) from it, took the euro settings software, then messed with them to take the part of code that activates TPMS, and combined it with euro software, then uploaded it to the dashboard, so in the end I recieved all euro settings I needed (including fogs thing) + TPMS. As you can guess, the tech definitely needs to know a thing in coding to grab parts of it.

I'm pretty much sure that in the same way one can rip off the TPMS code from USA settings software and deactivate it, and rip off fogs w/o headlights code from Euro and add it to USA software too

Last edited by A/C; 03-03-09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 12:40 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

One question, if using the "auto" function is so bad for the lights then why does almost every auto manufacture have that feature?
Old 03-03-09, 12:52 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by A/C
Ok there are atleast three kinds of regional settings software (they call it 'dump') that I tested. 1) USA (miles, galons, F, TPMS active, fogs only with headlights) 2) Canada (km's (i think), galons, C, no TPMS (I think), fogs with headlights) 3) Euro (kms, litres, C, no TPMS, fogs w/o headlights). Probably there is UK version too but I had no reason to test it.

All those kinds of software are included into Intelligent tester 2 (a computer tool dealers and certain shops use to configure car settings, read errors, enter TPMS sensor codes etc etc), and can be easily uploaded into the car if you need to change them.

Hard case is when you need partially modified settings software (like in my case). I'm not a tech but I can tell what I saw. A technician removed my dashboard, somehow connected it to his laptop, manually extracted the settings software (USA) from it, took the euro settings software, then messed with them to take the part of code that activates TPMS, and combined it with euro software, then uploaded it to the dashboard, so in the end I recieved all euro settings I needed (including fogs thing) + TPMS. As you can guess, the tech definitely needs to know a thing in coding to grab parts of it.

I'm pretty much sure that in the same way one can rip off the TPMS code from USA settings software and deactivate it, and rip off fogs w/o headlights code from Euro and add it to USA software too
im gonna ask the dealer to see if they can do that next time i bring it in.
Old 03-03-09, 01:17 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suicidesam
One question, if using the "auto" function is so bad for the lights then why does almost every auto manufacture have that feature?
exactly. I've never had any problems with any of my aftermarket kits, and also never had any problems with OEM HIDs on my cars, my parents' cars and many of my friends' cars. If it really did that much damage, the car makers would not make the HID's go off and on during an alarm toggle.

Even when driving through underpasses, if you stay under there long enough for it to turn on, it wont shut off immediately upon exposure to external light.. it shuts off after 5 or 10 seconds.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights w/o Low Beams "Mod"