IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Passenger Side Head Light Goes Out While Driving-Bulb or Ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 08:35 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Passenger Side Head Light Goes Out While Driving-Bulb or Ballast?

Hey Fellas,

I got a 5000k h.i.d kit. Basically over the past 10 or so months I've had the kit ever now and than the passenger side headlight would shut off while I was driving. It would probably do this on average once a month. Over the past two weeks the problem has gotten worse, to the point where the passenger side headlight shuts off about every 10 minutes of driving time (past weekend was just too much). On Monday I checked all my connections and made sure everything was tightly on, and made sure nothing was moving around.

Long story short the light is still shutting off. I did a little test today when I started my car at school cause i was parked in a structure facing a wall, I turned my lights on and off about 5-6 times. On the last try the passenger side headlight turned on and shut off after about .5 seconds.

I bought my kit from a very good company, no need to bash them because the problem is getting dealt with now. I need to swap the bulbs to determine what the problem is. I didn't get the chance to do this tonight, but my question is:

Do you guys think that this is a ballast issue or a bulb issue? I'm going to find out tomorrow for sure, but just wanted some feedback.

Thank you guys
Old 03-10-09, 08:44 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the connections are tight, and the ground for the relay is good and functioning (if you used a relay), it is most likely an issue with the bulb.

Ballasts are very hardy pieces of equipment. OEM ballasts should easily outlast many pairs of OEM bulbs. Similarly, aftermarket ballasts will likely outlast aftermarket bulbs. Aftermarket bulbs use different salt mixtures, return wire insulation, etc. that results in premature failure when quality control is not optimal (A simple test to see if it turns on doesn't tell you much about long term longevity)

Also, please don't flip the lights on and off for HIDs too quickly. Hot-striking HID bulbs decreases their lifespan

I suspect that when you get the replacements bulbs from this "very good company" you will solve your problem. Be sure to use both new bulbs so that they are colormatched.

Last edited by ELL Y; 03-10-09 at 08:49 PM.