IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Metric conversion possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 07:39 AM
daandman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metric conversion possible?

I'm in Canada & have decided on an IS 250 that I want, but the one problem is it's imported from the U.S. & thus has temperature & mileage in fahrenheit & miles. Is there any way to switch this so it reads in celsius & km?
Old 03-12-09, 07:50 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most cars have km's on the car, but not celsius. Maybe you have change the ecu or have the canadian shop reprogram it for you. Call up the shops and see what you can do and see how much it would cost. GL
Old 03-12-09, 08:15 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

yes.... you can.... go check their manual... i have all the readings in Metric.... but nto the speedo.... that['s all
Old 03-12-09, 08:46 AM
daandman
Rookie

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
yes.... you can.... go check their manual... i have all the readings in Metric.... but nto the speedo.... that['s all
Awesome, I'll check it out. Btw, this is a 2007 model, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 03-12-09, 09:22 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daandman
I'm in Canada & have decided on an IS 250 that I want, but the one problem is it's imported from the U.S. & thus has temperature & mileage in fahrenheit & miles. Is there any way to switch this so it reads in celsius & km?
You cannot convert the readings on the digital readout on a USDM 2IS to metric. Non-USDM ISx50's have a different part number for the gauge cluster, so there's no "conversion" possible, and it's not an option anywhere on the user or dealer-selectable menus.

Javier
Old 03-12-09, 09:31 AM
Appleman
Rookie

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
I have the NAV and I can't change temperature anywhere. I can change miles to km in the NAV but that's it.

Where in the manual does it say you can change temp? I contacted Lexus and they said they could only swap out the NAV and the parts for the dash display. It would cost $1500.
Old 03-12-09, 10:31 AM
daandman
Rookie

Originally Posted by javyLSU
You cannot convert the readings on the digital readout on a USDM 2IS to metric. Non-USDM ISx50's have a different part number for the gauge cluster, so there's no "conversion" possible, and it's not an option anywhere on the user or dealer-selectable menus.

Javier
What about replacing the gauge cluster?
Old 03-12-09, 10:37 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Wouldn't it had been easier if you had just bought a used canadian lexus instead
Old 03-12-09, 10:43 AM
daandman
Rookie

Originally Posted by mvlbr
Wouldn't it had been easier if you had just bought a used canadian lexus instead
I haven't bought it yet, but this one is exactly what I'm looking for & is the best deal I've found. I'm buying it used.
Old 03-12-09, 11:02 AM
daandman
Rookie

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
So, what is the deal and where is it at? Just curious.
$35,500 (Canadian), 2007 IS250 AWD, luxury package w/ navigation -- basically fully loaded... low mileage, perfect condition & easily the best price I've found for an IS with nav.

I'm also considering leasing an '09 if my guy can get in into my price range, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen & he's really starting to get on my nerves with not calling me when he says he's going to.
Old 03-12-09, 04:23 PM
A/C
Driver

Yes you can
Find a dealer or any workshop with Toyota Intelligent tester 2 (their service computer) and ask to implement Canada regional settings. Its a matter of 5 minutes. However this only concerns only your dashboard menu (where the speedometer is). Make sure it doesn't deactivate TPMS cus I don't remember if Lexus cars originally sold in Canada come with TPMS.

If you have the nav, then replacing F with C there in the Climate window is a big problem. I had it done to my car, don't know how exactly they did it but they disassembled half of dashboard and messed with ECU inside it. Not something you would want to do with a car under warranty.
Old 03-12-09, 06:06 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

What about replacing the gauge cluster?
That'll run you around $1600 for a new one, and you'd have to get the mileage programmed by the dealer, too.

Javier
Old 03-12-09, 06:16 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i wish i could change my usdm car to metric too... im one of the few americans that actually know/prefer metric *course i lived in japan for yrs which is why~*
Old 03-12-09, 07:05 PM
daandman
Rookie

Originally Posted by PorSiempre

Low Mileage? How low?
About 14,500 miles.
Old 03-12-09, 07:13 PM
daandman
Rookie

Originally Posted by A/C
Yes you can
Find a dealer or any workshop with Toyota Intelligent tester 2 (their service computer) and ask to implement Canada regional settings. Its a matter of 5 minutes. However this only concerns only your dashboard menu (where the speedometer is). Make sure it doesn't deactivate TPMS cus I don't remember if Lexus cars originally sold in Canada come with TPMS.

If you have the nav, then replacing F with C there in the Climate window is a big problem. I had it done to my car, don't know how exactly they did it but they disassembled half of dashboard and messed with ECU inside it. Not something you would want to do with a car under warranty.
Where can I find a dealer with Toyota Intelligent Tester 2? And what's TPMS? You're sure this works?

Quick Reply: Metric conversion possible?