IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why did you buy an IS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 04:13 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts
Talking

why i wanted to buy an IS ? lolz, i had IS 300 for 5 yrs was around 97K, looking for the IF and acutally test drove it, but thinking with this economic like this, just save $$$ to buy a house so i bargain for IS350 lolz, and i got its great deal lolz, nice up grade i might say lolz ,
Old 03-16-09, 04:35 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I narrowed my choices to the 335i and IS350. The BMW drove real nice, and as you can tell from your research, no doubt its the best choice if you are looking for "drivers" car. The Lexus did not handle as well, I'd say it was about 80-90% there (in terms of handling); also, not having a manual transmission was a big downer. Reason I got the Lexus was because A) during my test drive my salesman pretty much gave me the keys to a brand new car and told me to come back in an hour (BMW salesman was with me and pretty much told me what I could/couldn't do), and B) the IS350 was the better overall choice (price, handling, power, reliability...etc) when I got it.

After a year of ownership, I am glad I got the Lexus. Every time my car goes in for service, I get a Lexus as a loaner, I get a call from my service rep in about an hour and telling me when the car will be done, and a tank of gas. Every time my parents take their Audi or Mercedes for service; they get stuck with Enterprise rent a car, and there were times when their car was in service for two weeks.
Old 03-16-09, 04:42 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

The 2IS was the best compromise for me. Sporty enough, stylish, techie/geeky, luxurious. Went with 250 for cost/mileage concerns (I was already stretching my budget and I average 25K miles a year.).

Happy with my decision, absolutely.

Would I buy a different car if I could do it again? Given the circumstances of that time, no. Given the budget I have today, yes (a C6)
Old 03-16-09, 04:45 PM
bronz
Driver

i got the lexus is because of reliablity compare to others luxury cars, the styling of the exterior and interior, and good customer service when my car is being service. i got no complaints i love my car since the day i got it.
Old 03-16-09, 05:19 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus service is outstanding! I wanted a luxury/sport car and I couldn't be happier with my 250. Great styling, fuel economy, reliability, resale with lots of aftermarket goodies to complete the car.
Old 03-16-09, 06:25 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

I had everything I wanted in a car, espcially the sporty body. And I knew it was going to be a fun toy car for myself!! Still loving it.
Old 03-16-09, 07:10 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

what made me get my IS is definitely everything about it. performance, luxury, quality, and aesthetics! also the unlimited choices of aftermarket parts. you really get what you pay for. i love my car!
Old 03-16-09, 10:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The Lexus IS is hands down one of the nicest RWD luxury/sport sedans on the road (Its a shame we don't here much about it in Car and Driver or Motortrend when they compare the BMW and Infiniti all the time). Its gorgeous, has power to back up its looks, and not to mention has a much nicer interior than say the Infiniti G or BMW 3 series for that matter. The controls are intuitive *cough* "looking at you BMW", and its fuss free motoring. There's plenty of options and accessories too. Its not that I don't like those other cars, I just feel that the IS has more to offer than the others. Its biggest fault might be that the steering lacks the feedback of say the other two. But I digress. I love my IS, and can't wait to see what the future holds for the 3IS.
Old 03-16-09, 11:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The answer was easy... I wanted a new car, my requirements were that it had to be rwd/4dr/automatic (i've always owned standard cars so i wanted a auto for midlife ). So... when buying a new car whats the best most reliable cars around, easy Japanese. Whats the best Japanese brand, easy Toyota. What Toyota fits my requierments, only Lexus brand cars. Of the Lexus cars how do they stack up, LS too expensive and fuddy duddy, SC i hate the looks of the car and the performance is weak for such a pricey 'i dont know what its supposed to be'. GS was a choice but i really prefered the styling of the IS. When i looked the IS... there was only the 350, the 250 never once entered the picture since its so slow. (dont get offended 250 guys i've heard all your reasons already )
Old 03-17-09, 11:16 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
I test drove the RX-8, 350Z, Mazdaspeed 6, g35, Audi A3, A4...just to name a few and of course, the Lexus. Every car has it's pros and cons, obviously, but it was ultimately between the RX-8 and the IS250 6speed.

After countless nights of contemplations, I landed on the Lexus because i truly asked myself, "What's worth more...a 30k Mazda or a 30k Lexus." the answer was simple based on that question. I wound up ordering my Lexus for $30,500 not OTT.

I'm happy.
I drove an RX-8 for four years, and parted with it (somewhat regretably) when the lease was up in December. The bottom line for me was this: do I want to pay $17,000 for the lease buy out or put that money down on something else? I miss the 9000-rpm redline, the feeling of riding on rails, and unique look.

I wanted to move to AWD since there had been more than a few times I was stuck in snow with the 8. My first choice was the G35/37, and I really liked the EX35 as well (although it's not recognized as a driver's car, it handles well). I have limited garage space (183") and neither of these fit well. I was quite disappointed, and decided to stop by the Lexus dealership for kicks. I had known Lexus for the RX, ES, and GS models, which seem to be everywhere. I'd probably seen the IS, but there aren't a lot of them out there (which is good). I was pleasantly surprised, and I bought one a few weeks later.

The A4 was too long, and the BMW 3 series wasn't on my list because of reliability concerns.
Old 03-17-09, 11:22 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

back in oct of 05, it was either 330 or this car. I hated the back of the bmw. The IS had more power, better interior, more techonological features = sold
Old 03-17-09, 12:18 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My parents wanted to get a safe reliable and reasonably priced car for me. I was also deciding between at the time a little over 3 years ago now, it was the ISX50, G35 coupe, or 328i. ISX50 was most reliable out of the group and I liked the body styling the best. Every morning I can go downstairs to the garage and just stop and stare at it for a few seconds.

Car...$33,000
Insurance...$1,000
Gawking every morning over it...Priceless
Old 03-18-09, 06:55 PM
GenkiRS16
Driver School Candidate

I picked IS350 over Evo X because the two cars have very close straight-line performance, IS have plenty of aftermarket support (even though not as much as Evo, but it's growing), it's more mature, and one very important factor - as a business professional, there will be times that I need to drive my managers/partners around, and I can't afford to kill their backs w/ the Evo's stiff ride LOL!!!

Obviously the brands you're considering are not cheap, if you plan on keeping your next vehicle for a long time, make sure you pick the one that suits you now, and will continue to do so on the long run. Good luck man!
Old 03-18-09, 09:39 PM
doki
Rookie

i debated over a mercedez CLK or an IS. CLK has a lot of power and handles good.The interior is very nice especially the lights. Bad thing is the navigation isn't friendly at all (push a dial for each letter) and way too much money. Only has heated seats and the radio sounds like crap. Versus the IS had everything. You have touch navigation, heated and cooling seats at a lower cost. I got myself a brand new IS 3 weeks ago. Very happy with my purchase

Im driving an infini and i've already spend $2000 on repair with in 2 months. Thought of G35 but when i thought of taking it in for service i crossed it out of my list.
Old 03-19-09, 07:25 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

In my country, there are 3 choice of 3.5 million Baht!!!

1. Lexus IS250 RWD Premium Package with Moon Roof / MarkLevinson
2. Mercedes Benz C230 2.5
3. BMW 325i

Mercedes and BMW are manufacturer in Domestic. But only Lexus is Import!!!