IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I call BS on this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 03:55 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I call BS on this?

I'm just about at 30k today, and brought in my is350 to the dealership for the three service campaigns.

they told me my differential fluid needed to be flushed ASAP because it was full of gunk.... going to charge me $120 for it...

plus another $150 for throttle body clean up that was to include fuel additive injection that would supposedly give me better gas mileage...

I can probably do the differential drain and fill myself...but what's this throttle body clean up? Fuel additives? My first reaction was

Seems 30k is a bit early for either one of these, what do you guys think?
Old 03-16-09, 04:39 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jay.Diem
I'm just about at 30k today, and brought in my is350 to the dealership for the three service campaigns.

they told me my differential fluid needed to be flushed ASAP because it was full of gunk.... going to charge me $120 for it...

plus another $150 for throttle body clean up that was to include fuel additive injection that would supposedly give me better gas mileage...

I can probably do the differential drain and fill myself...but what's this throttle body clean up? Fuel additives? My first reaction was

Sounds like BS to me. The 30K service does not include a differential fluid change, according to the manual's maintenance schedule. What dealer in TX did you go to?
Old 03-16-09, 05:16 PM
bronz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that probably was bs, some car dealers lie and say bs stuff to make money when it comes to servicing.
Old 03-16-09, 07:03 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

BS, with an additional large side order of BS.

As noted, the car manual -never- calls for a diff fluid change... and there's no reason your TB would have a problem at 30k.

If you want to check it takes like 5-10 minutes to get to the TB (same steps as swapping an intake on really) and a can of TB cleaner is like 5 bucks at autozone.
Old 03-16-09, 08:02 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

^^ thanks for the tip on TB inspection...will check it out at my buddy's shop this weekend

For the is350 with semi-LSD, looks like the service manual doesn't call for a differential fluid change until 60k
Old 03-16-09, 08:52 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

honestly... i think you SHOULDN'T EVER take your car in for 'service'... just do all the maintainence yourself OR if your unsure of your skillz call up a local CL member in your area to give you a hand and buy him lunch
Old 03-17-09, 04:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

^^ thanks for the tip on TB inspection...will check it out at my buddy's shop this weekend

For the is350 with semi-LSD, looks like the service manual doesn't call for a differential fluid change until 60k
Read the manual again- it -never- calls for changing the diff fluid on the US model IS350.

It calls for checking for leaks, but never changing the fluid.
Old 03-17-09, 04:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Lexus dealers aren't supposed to do this stuff. I'd report them to Lexus Corporate.

Lou
Old 03-17-09, 07:38 AM
Foodplz
Driver

I looked in the manual for my 06 IS250AWD. It says IS get a diff oil change at 60k. not sure about your newer manuals.

Even so... the differential oil service at my dealership was 54 dollars. Just got it done last week... the receipt probably is still warm from the printer.
Old 03-17-09, 07:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Foodplz
I looked in the manual for my 06 IS250AWD. It says IS get a diff oil change at 60k. not sure about your newer manuals.

Even so... the differential oil service at my dealership was 54 dollars. Just got it done last week... the receipt probably is still warm from the printer.
That'd be the AWD model.

Which has differentials the IS350 does not have at all.

The 350 (any year) doesn't call for a diff fluid change, ever.
Old 03-17-09, 08:06 AM
maxnix
Driver

Smile Owner Or Merely A User?

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Read the manual again- it -never- calls for changing the diff fluid on the US model IS350.

It calls for checking for leaks, but never changing the fluid.
This is because Lexus has not interest in how your car performs past warranty expiration, nor does any other OEM.

A wise owner who wants to maximize his investment and minimize his depreciation will always maintain his car over and beyond OEM minimum standards for better performance in the later years of ownership. Can't undo premature wear except by installing expensive parts and paying for labor. Fluids and filters are much less expensive on the long run.

I would go for a synthetic differential fill every 30K.

Only BG44K and Redline SI-1 are any good as FI cleaners. Even straight Techron is much weaker. All the rest are snake oil.

With a can of Berryman Chem Tool and some rags, you too can clean your TB with a little care.

Removing it and using a Dremel will make it new. Shouldn't be bad enough at 30K with annual air filter changes.
Old 03-17-09, 08:35 AM
ohno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just want to make money off of you. Stuff thats totally unecessary. BS..
Old 03-17-09, 08:36 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxnix
This is because Lexus has not interest in how your car performs past warranty expiration, nor does any other OEM.

A wise owner who wants to maximize his investment and minimize his depreciation will always maintain his car over and beyond OEM minimum standards for better performance in the later years of ownership. Can't undo premature wear except by installing expensive parts and paying for labor. Fluids and filters are much less expensive on the long run.

I would go for a synthetic differential fill every 30K.

I think you grossly overestimate the amount of wear going on in there- especially with it not being a real LSD.

Hell, the -transmission- fluid doesn't even get changed on the 2IS (automatic), and it certainly sees much harsher temps and conditions than the diff does.

As noted in the thread on doing the diff fluid change, do it if it helps you sleep at night, but you're as likely to end up with wear by introducing wear-causing contaminants changing it all the time as you are if you just leave it alone like the manufacturer suggests.
Old 03-17-09, 08:46 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

one of my buddies is a service advisor, he informed me on how he works on comission. one of the best advises he gave me was when i needed something to go straight to the service manager and ask them what you need.

Other then that read the manual and see what services you really need. if the manual dosn't say you need it then dont do it.

I always have service advisors trying to call me to BS me when i take my viper to service. The prices they give me is almost double what the list price is.
Old 03-17-09, 08:50 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maxnix

I would go for a synthetic differential fill every 30K
+1...Hell I sleep better at night. Knowing that I give my car a little more love than normal. Never hurts to provide your car with an optimal service interval even though it may seem overrated

Quick Reply: Should I call BS on this?