Print Wikipost

DIY OEM Carbon Fiber Part Wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 04:38 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
I dont know. If someone has some left over pieces, just wrap something stupid like a box or something small and add some resin. I mean mine looks fine and was smooth to the touch so im sure your allowed to add it. I actually sprayed some clear on a non resined piece of cloth and it still felt like cloth just a lot more shiny.
I did a piece and had my body guy clear coat it with 2 coats. here is how it looks, it is shiny but not showing the depth of carbon fiber if you know what I mean but you guys be the judge..

DIY OEM Carbon Fiber Part Wrapping-carbon1.jpg
Old 04-20-09, 04:38 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

here's another...

DIY OEM Carbon Fiber Part Wrapping-carbon2.jpg
Old 04-20-09, 04:40 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

here's last one, I mean it's not bad but it does not look as depth as it would if it were real carbon weave. but it still looks good. it will be protected thogh for sure.

DIY OEM Carbon Fiber Part Wrapping-carbon3.jpg
Old 04-20-09, 07:09 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
I did the same thing with clear coat... like you said, still like cloth just shiny. I don't think there will be any harm to leave it without a resin.... this is what the guys are doing on the E90 post forum and they haven't reported any issues.
Word I am gonna see tomorrow and if no change still, I am gonna go to my bodyshop and seek advice and get a quote. Worst case scenario is I rewrap everything and then either clear them myself or see if the shop can layer on the clear.
Old 04-20-09, 07:11 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RobJo350
I did a piece and had my body guy clear coat it with 2 coats. here is how it looks, it is shiny but not showing the depth of carbon fiber if you know what I mean but you guys be the judge..

Attachment 142799
Yea I see what you mean, I mean what I got now shows the depth to an extent but Id rather have just clear if I cant get the resin to work properly.
Old 04-20-09, 07:38 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Yea I see what you mean, I mean what I got now shows the depth to an extent but Id rather have just clear if I cant get the resin to work properly.
I don't know do you like how the material looks with the clear coat? me personaly I am gonna try it on a small piece maybe one of the rear pieces and see how that turns out. it may look different from the cap. I will keep you guys up to date when I get it done. I have also heard that if you do the real carbin weave and do the resign on it it looks really good but then you start having the problem with fittment due to the added thickness of the resign. I searched this on line and I think it was the Saab owners that did it and they had to reverse it because they could not make the part fit back into place. I like the look without the clear coat on the fabric but it would look nice with the depth and protection though. I will try and take some picks of one of the rear pieces.

Last edited by RobzKar; 04-20-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-21-09, 01:02 AM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went to bimmer forums where euro-dyne advertises and it says its not recommended to clear the fabric. if anything just put some scotch guard and call it a day
Old 04-21-09, 09:20 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

I think you would have a fitment problem with the resin. In many cases on my parts, just the cloth + the thickness of the glue makes things difficult to fit back together. I'm just going to leave mine as is.... it looks fine to me and I doubt it will really get damaged... if so it's easy enough to replace the fabric.
Old 05-01-09, 07:23 AM
tmaung
Driver

I wanted to post my setup in the CF thread! I got black CF with F Sport shift ****. The hardest part is the cupholder lid. After stretching the fabric, it was hard for me to cut the edges evenly. Enjoy.

Old 05-02-09, 05:20 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I just got my stuff in yesterday.

New sport pack trim all 7 of them. And 3X3 twill weave real CF 3 yards worth along with System 3 SB-112 clear epoxy resin. I'll be finishing a real overlay on my stuff within a month and then clear coat it.
Old 05-02-09, 06:49 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
I just got my stuff in yesterday.

New sport pack trim all 7 of them. And 3X3 twill weave real CF 3 yards worth along with System 3 SB-112 clear epoxy resin. I'll be finishing a real overlay on my stuff within a month and then clear coat it.
just to let you know... before you clear -->

Originally Posted by intrinsic
went to bimmer forums where euro-dyne advertises and it says its not recommended to clear the fabric. if anything just put some scotch guard and call it a day
Just a fyi
Old 05-02-09, 08:37 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
just to let you know... before you clear -->

Just a fyi
He has real cf twill as opposed to the cloth used in this DIY. So he will be fine. I actually re did all of my pieces since the resin and clean didnt work out. They looked great but it never dried completely and touching it would make un removable imprints even after 24+ hours to dry.
Old 05-27-09, 07:21 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Any Tips on how to wrap this indentation on my hatch trim?

Old 05-27-09, 07:24 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

He has real cf twill as opposed to the cloth used in this DIY. So he will be fine. I actually re did all of my pieces since the resin and clean didnt work out. They looked great but it never dried completely and touching it would make un removable imprints even after 24+ hours to dry.
Did you , or anyone for that matter clear this fabric to make it shiny? Is that even possible?
Old 05-27-09, 08:33 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think it's possible due to the material. Once you clear it or try to make it shiny in general it just looks really bad.

Quick Reply: DIY OEM Carbon Fiber Part Wrapping