Tint Problems Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 06:37 PM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tint Problems Anyone?

Hello all,

I recently called 2 reputable tint shops in OC and got some info and quotes, one tint shop which uses solar guard tint (3 year warranty for $150 and life-time for $200) and one that uses "global" tint company (never herd of it) for $170 with a life-time warranty. However the second shop told me about a problem all new generation lexus's have been having with window tint, they peel within a couple years. She also told me that due to this problem for the IS 250, they cut a small portion of tint off behind the area where the tweeter is in the front 2 windows (the cause of the peeling/bubbling tint) and this will prevent the tint from peeling.

My question is has anyone heard about or experienced this problem before? Have you guys had your tinter cut the portion behind the tweeter also? I know that some tinters open the whole door panel to tint the 2 front windows, but those of you that didnt do this, have you guys experienced the peeling tint?

Also, anyone know of any good/reputable tint shops in OC that did a great job on tinting their IS X50, with top quality tint material and life-time warranty that is under $170??
-THANKS
Old 03-17-09, 06:41 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can search from the FAQ thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pics-here.html
Old 03-17-09, 07:34 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard of both but prefer solar gard. I tinted the car myself. No bubbling or peeling whatsoever after a year. The tweeter is in the way in the corner but took off the door panel and everything was easy from there. Cutting around the tweeter is gonna look like crap from in and outside of the car.
Old 03-17-09, 07:45 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for solar guard. Whoever does your tint, tell them to take off the door panels and do it correctly. Cutting around the tweeter is the lazy way to do it and you won't be happy with the results.
Old 03-17-09, 08:10 PM
AWD_IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 don't cut the tint not even the rear window for the brake light.
Old 03-17-09, 08:16 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of tinters to not take the tint all the way to the front corner of the front windows.
They will leave a small gap, usually just a few millimeters. For those of you with tint, take a business card and slide it behind the tweeter area all the way to the corner and look from the outside. You may see this gap. Otherwise you will not be able to see it...

Just one of the many short cuts some tinters take. A great tinter is hard to find.
Old 03-17-09, 08:30 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by youngim87
Hello all,

I recently called 2 reputable tint shops in OC and got some info and quotes, one tint shop which uses solar guard tint (3 year warranty for $150 and life-time for $200) and one that uses "global" tint company (never herd of it) for $170 with a life-time warranty. However the second shop told me about a problem all new generation lexus's have been having with window tint, they peel within a couple years. She also told me that due to this problem for the IS 250, they cut a small portion of tint off behind the area where the tweeter is in the front 2 windows (the cause of the peeling/bubbling tint) and this will prevent the tint from peeling.

My question is has anyone heard about or experienced this problem before? Have you guys had your tinter cut the portion behind the tweeter also? I know that some tinters open the whole door panel to tint the 2 front windows, but those of you that didnt do this, have you guys experienced the peeling tint?

Also, anyone know of any good/reputable tint shops in OC that did a great job on tinting their IS X50, with top quality tint material and life-time warranty that is under $170??
-THANKS
if you really want a quality tint job done w/ lifetime film, go to song's tint master (STM). they not only did the tint job for my 2is, but they also worked on a bunch of other socal CL members' cars. comes very highly recommended, which imo is worth the drive - and i live in north OC.

iirc, the lifetime tint will cost you $220 @ STM (more than your budget), but their work is top notch.

imo don't cheap out on the tint job, especially if you plan to keep your 2is for a long time.
Old 03-17-09, 08:32 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

wow, thats the first I've heard anything like this. I think they are feeding you bull about the tint peeling behind the tweeter. I read on a tinting forums how it's a pain to tint 2is due to the tweeter, but there's no reason why it can't be done. I think they just don't want to pull the door panels and are trying to find the easy way out. I tinted my own windows and had them on for about two years and no problems yet. If you do get your windows tinted be sure to advise the tinter about the black pillar trim cracking and pitting, due to high heat. There's a thread on here somewhere!
Old 03-18-09, 12:58 AM
omgswifty
Pole Position

agreed, the guys that tinted my window sed taking out the door panel with the tweeter were dealt with everyday. there shouldnt be a reason why they can't take it out unless they lack experience lol.

also, like said above, DO NOT cheap out, I did on my rear window and you'll see the difference is noticeable between a good job and cheap job (little dusts that causes noticeable squiggly lines after time, light peeling, and discoloration.)
Old 03-18-09, 01:54 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in California are you? I recommend automall tint in fremont if you are in norcal. 310 bucks and well worth it. Lifetime warranty against bubbles and defects.
Old 03-18-09, 08:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWD_IS
+1 don't cut the tint not even the rear window for the brake light.
Same here, that's how mine was done with 35% tint. They did remove door panels during installation.
Old 03-18-09, 09:09 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
Where in California are you? I recommend automall tint in fremont if you are in norcal. 310 bucks and well worth it. Lifetime warranty against bubbles and defects.
Is this recent? These guys usually charge a lot. They tinted my maxima for $400. Is there a secret password for a discount?
Old 03-18-09, 09:34 AM
Gordy35
Rookie

I had my car tinted 20% on all windows, and they did not have to take my door panels off and they tinted behind the tweeter without cutting
Old 03-18-09, 09:52 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gordy35
I had my car tinted 20% on all windows, and they did not have to take my door panels off and they tinted behind the tweeter without cutting
It can be done but taking off the panel reduces the risk of creasing, easier to tint and cleaner.
Old 03-18-09, 10:28 AM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

if your around orange county hit up scott kim. he does great work and he also works with aerotect. he did my clear bra and my tint. great guy with good prices.

Quick Reply: Tint Problems Anyone?