IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fog Light Replacement: PIAA, MTEC, Nokya, Polargs, Luminics, or Silverstars???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 03:17 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

i <3 my Nokya's....they're the s***!!!
Old 03-19-09, 03:52 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to use Silverstar Ultras. They were definitely whiter than stock, but were still slightly yellower than the lowbeams. Changed to Polargs shining wizard or whatever its called. They claim 5000K color temperature, and they matched the stock low beams pretty well.

And then I switched to 6K lows, so now I'm considering HID fogs... the cycle never ends
Old 03-19-09, 10:01 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
Here's my .02:

Silverstar bulbs suck; unless you want your lights to look similar to the halogens that you already have.

PIAA lights are costly. Yeah, in life, you generally get what you pay for; but not always. I htink they are overpriced. You are subsidzing PIAAs advertising with the prcie that you pay for their lights. You will see in my sig that I have PIAA bulbs; but I jsut got them for the DRLs. They were relatively inexpensive - small bulbs.

As already noted above, caveat emptor with the Nokya Arctic Whites (I believe they are called). I believe that the application of a higher watttage bulb than that suggested by the manufacturer may result in melting, or worse yet fire, wihtout an alternate wiring harness.

That being said, I suggest to you the Luminics. They are bright white. I am happy with them.

Furthermore, keep in mind a wealth of information regarding your enquiry may be obtained by accessing the "Lighting" section found in the "Forum Index" here on CL.

Good luck with the install of the application that you decide on. Lighting modifications to your Lexus can dramatically enhance the aesthetic appearance of your ride.
I appreciate the info. You have the Luminics Pure Blue fogs, correct?
How's the output compared to stock? How much blue is visible?

Originally Posted by sinister2c
make sure you get the harness extensions on the higher wattage bulbs to keep your stock harness from melting.
I assume you are referring to the 55W stock rating? I assume as long as it is rated at 55W, then I should be okay.
Old 03-19-09, 10:20 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triple_c
I used to use Silverstar Ultras. They were definitely whiter than stock, but were still slightly yellower than the lowbeams. Changed to Polargs shining wizard or whatever its called. They claim 5000K color temperature, and they matched the stock low beams pretty well.

And then I switched to 6K lows, so now I'm considering HID fogs... the cycle never ends

How was the output & color of the Polarg Shining Wizards? Any particular reason why you chose this brand?
Old 03-19-09, 10:30 PM
Nok99
Rookie

anyone know how long, on average, fog lights last? at least a couple of years?
Old 03-20-09, 12:18 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

Originally Posted by S to the K
How was the output & color of the Polarg Shining Wizards? Any particular reason why you chose this brand?
The output is pretty bright. I'd say they are about 30% brighter than silverstar ultras, with a noticeably whiter color. Didn't really have much of a reason for buying Polargs. I just searched for JDM bulbs, Polargs popped up, and I bought them. I've been using them for a little over a year now, and haven't had a problem yet.