IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new member and another carbon fiber wrap completed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 11:04 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
Truciet,

How did you break the glue in the chrome gear part??

Andre
just flip the trim over and stick a flat head in between the chrome trim and the trim itself and just turn the flat head...the red "caps" will start popping everywhere
Old 05-16-09, 11:23 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'll like to see this on a roof... n e body
Old 05-16-09, 11:28 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Shoganai
i'll like to see this on a roof... n e body
i doubt anyone will do it. the fabric is strong, but over time with rain, heat, etc...i don't see it lasting forever unless someone clears it professionally
Old 05-28-09, 09:52 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truciet
i doubt anyone will do it. the fabric is strong, but over time with rain, heat, etc...i don't see it lasting forever unless someone clears it professionally
Here's our first attempt on the center console piece. Truciet said it best, it's not going to hold up unless there's a clear coat of sorts to protect the fabric. The pictures shown are now in my 2009 IS250 and I'll be testing the durability. Our second attempt will have the clear coat and we'll be installing it in a loan car. If it's going to get abused, it will in a loan car.

Truciet, how's yours holding up so far?

Thanks,
Darrel

Old 05-28-09, 10:10 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Mine is holding up just fine after two months or so. Some guys on the BMW forum have had this stuff on for a long time and have had no issue. I spilled a few drops of coffee on it and cleaned off no problem.

I have to redo a few parts because I globbed the glue on and it shows under the fabric as a bump (somehow I didn't notice this when laying down the fabric). It's easy enough to redo, I just need to get time to do it.
Old 05-28-09, 11:38 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
Here's our first attempt on the center console piece. Truciet said it best, it's not going to hold up unless there's a clear coat of sorts to protect the fabric. The pictures shown are now in my 2009 IS250 and I'll be testing the durability. Our second attempt will have the clear coat and we'll be installing it in a loan car. If it's going to get abused, it will in a loan car.

Truciet, how's yours holding up so far?

Thanks,
Darrel

Fabric has been great. During the rainy days, no damage whatsoever. Every drop of rain just wiped away. I keep a microfiber towel in my car just to wipe down the dash to get rid of all the dust.
Old 05-28-09, 11:42 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

FYI, you're not supposed to clear this fabric. If you don't believe me look it up. BTW did you guys sand the panel down before you put the fabric on??
Old 05-28-09, 12:53 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

I did some light scuffing on a few pieces (center dash, door switch panels), but didn't do anything on the dash vents. I figure it can only help, but it didn't seem to matter in the cases where I didn't sand (at least yet).
Old 05-28-09, 02:51 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

no sanding here...but i have wood trim which is cleared...i believe isthrizzy has the sport trim
Old 05-29-09, 08:15 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

true true, I have the sport trim. I don't think you need to sand though, but it can't hurt.
Old 05-29-09, 01:18 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job!! It looks amazing!!
Old 06-01-09, 12:42 PM
Scoowhoop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

knocked mine out yesterday, umm took me about 3 episodes of Nitro Circus and 2 episodes of Fantasy Factory...guess thats about 2.5 hours but felt longer

I started taking pictures so I could post on here but got too excited and forgot to take any during the center consule (which was definitely the hardest part). I'll try and post the pics I have tonight. All-in-all a pretty easy install, best $40 i've ever spent hands down! Oh and I was pretty damn hungover so no excuses for the rest of you...just do it!!!
Old 06-08-09, 08:41 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

I did this yesterday. Window pieces, ashtray and cup holder came out great, but I am having the hardest time with the shifter trim on the center console. Any advice out there? I've tried the center piece twice now.
Old 06-08-09, 08:53 AM
tmaung
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a razor knife for the center console. I had to tuck it in tightly and it still doesn't come out 100% perfect but I got it down to 95% perfect in my opinion. Mine is holding out well except for the cupholder lid. The corners stretched up so I can see wood trim but only if I open the lid. If anyone has pics of it done and settled, please post or PM me. Thanks.
Old 06-08-09, 09:05 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmaung
Use a razor knife for the center console. I had to tuck it in tightly and it still doesn't come out 100% perfect but I got it down to 95% perfect in my opinion. Mine is holding out well except for the cupholder lid. The corners stretched up so I can see wood trim but only if I open the lid. If anyone has pics of it done and settled, please post or PM me. Thanks.
Do you cut along the top, or the bottom, or ... ?

On the cupholder lid, did you take the lid off the base or no?

Quick Reply: new member and another carbon fiber wrap completed!