IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why would someone choose the IS over ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 06:19 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why would someone choose the IS over ES?

I'm a bit confused here. The 2.5L IS actually has a slower 0-60 time (8.3 s) of any sedan. So why would someone choose that over the slightly more priced ES, which is roomier as well.
The only reason I can think of is the ES looks kind of fugly compared to the IS.
Old 03-23-09, 06:21 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You answered your question + the ES is FWD.
Old 03-23-09, 06:24 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
You answered your question + the ES is FWD.
I see... so the people who drive IS's are drag racers. What's wrong with FWD? Other than the fact the steering goes blah when you go above highway speeds.

Personally, perhaps I'm cheap but still like better stuff, I would buy the ES just because it looks more expensive. (and is, slightly).
Old 03-23-09, 06:27 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ IS is alot sportier than the ES..
Old 03-23-09, 06:37 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people like to mod their cars. Most people that mod their cars are on some kind of forums (like this one). show me a modded ES.

ES is for old people. ES is not sporty what so ever. ES does not have any aftermarket modifications other than wheels. Plus, why would we (IS owners) care how roomy the car is? We sit in the driver's seat, not the rear; that's not our problem.

Even if the ES would be cheaper than the IS, i wouldn't want one...ever. It's no different than an Avalon.

IS > ES
Old 03-23-09, 06:39 PM
chavezguy
Driver

Originally Posted by chrIS250
Some people like to mod their cars. Most people that mod their cars are on some kind of forums (like this one). show me a modded ES.

ES is for old people. ES is not sporty what so ever. ES does not have any aftermarket modifications other than wheels. Plus, why would we (IS owners) care how roomy the car is? We sit in the driver's seat, not the rear; that's not our problem.

Even if the ES would be cheaper than the IS, i wouldn't want one...ever. It's no different than an Avalon.

IS > ES
Well said i agree with you!!!!
Old 03-23-09, 06:41 PM
bronz
Driver

cause the lexus is, is better looking in style than the es, but the es is still a nice car. es more like a family looking car / is sporty looking.

Last edited by bronz; 03-23-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 06:51 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

IS looks a lot nicer.
and it doesn't give the family man appeal of the ES

and my IS is AWD, for what it's worth.

But mainly cause it looks a lot nicer. I had the option, and I choose the IS. And i'm not looking back
Old 03-23-09, 06:58 PM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meowmix52
I'm a bit confused here. The 2.5L IS actually has a slower 0-60 time (8.3 s) of any sedan. So why would someone choose that over the slightly more priced ES, which is roomier as well.
The only reason I can think of is the ES looks kind of fugly compared to the IS.
Are you serious??? You look at a car's 0-60 time and because of that conclude it's not worth a purchase?

There's a very simple reason to have both the IS and ES. The IS is the sportier option and the ES is the more "comfy" option. The ES has a lot more interior room than the IS which is more compact and provides a tighter driving experience.

So basically if you want a sporty experience... and don't really care about rear seat room you get the IS. If you care more about comfort... and car about rear seat room you get the ES.
Old 03-23-09, 07:02 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

don't you think that by asking that kind of question here in the 2is section that you'll get a loaded, biased answer?
Old 03-23-09, 07:02 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a very good question, it comes down to wants/needs/personality type. I myself find nothing wrong with the ES, its a great car. Would i buy one over a is250 thou?... yes i would, but then i would be looking for a ES type car. Would i buy a ES over a Camry SE/XLE v-6? no i wouldn't. Different car/different purpose thus you really can't compare the IS to a ES.
Old 03-23-09, 07:23 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I actually see a lot of modded older ES's, but yeah I would not consider one myself or recommend it to anyone under 45 lol.
Old 03-23-09, 08:20 PM
hades281
Driver

Like others have said, the ES has no sporting intentions whatsoever. The steering is extremely light and the suspension is very soft. It's biggest problem is being FWD... They are great cars, and in some ways better than the IS, but by design they are absolutely not rewarding to drive.
Old 03-23-09, 08:20 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I drove an ES as a loaner. i couldnt wait until i got my IS back. the ES is a boat full of luxury. still, you cant go wrong with lexus.
if you are looking for more space look at the GS
Old 03-23-09, 08:30 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

one thing is already good enough for me to choose IS
over ES, IS is rwd. thats it.

Quick Reply: Why would someone choose the IS over ES?