IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The paint is bubbling on my stock rims...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 02:44 PM
TrymyIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issues with my car. I bought it used and the previous owner did a real number on curbing the heck out of them. When I brought the car in for the recall, I mentioned it, but nothing was done about it. I figured I would just get them powder coated on my own, but they are winter wheels, so the motivation isn't very high.
Old 03-24-09, 02:50 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

dang bro, better off just powder coating it. But I would try a complaining to the dealership 1st. It worked for me on my gen1 IS.... GL
Old 03-24-09, 03:09 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

heres what they look like POWDERCOAT THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-09, 03:33 PM
Dbak
Rookie

OP...the same has happened to my front 2 rims.
I took it into the Lexus dealership where they decided whether they would repair this under warranty. They said that it would, and that they have someone in town who would take out the bumps and re-paint it.
While I thought the dealer would replace the rims, that is not the case. However, if the problem persists, I think I will push for that action to be taken.
Anyways thats my story with them. I was surprised this even happened on this vehicle since I have not seen anyone else on this forum so far with this problem, but alas I am also in the north where we get lots of snow and they like to use salt on the roads :s. However, it is weird that this problem only occurred on my front 2 rims and not the back.
Old 03-24-09, 04:22 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

All, thanks for the responses, I will call up the dealer and see what they say. I'm also not very motivated bc they are my winter rims, but then I am using them at least 4months out of the year and they look terrible!

Originally Posted by juice14
crap ma that sucks. see if that will be under warranty. its worth a try
did you spray wheel cleaner when they were hot?
maybe thats it
Never used wheel cleaner, only Meguiars Gold Class car soap.

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
If they dont replace them and you do get them powder coated, let me know and I will get mine done too if we could get a deal lol.
I have thought about doing this and doing a darker color, but it sounds expensive. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for 4 rims?

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
what kind of cleaning solution do you use on your wheels?
Meguiars Gold Class car soap.

Originally Posted by blklexo818
powdercoated them, i did, they look awesome
yes, your powdercoated rims look pretty sweet , good job. Can you PM me with a ballpark price pls? thanks!

Originally Posted by Oakley IS
same happened to my 17's I use for my winter tires.

took them back and the dealer told me immediately that they had a note on their computer saying that if anyone brings this up, to order and replace all 4 rims under warranty.

they also mentioned that the 06-08 rims were had a design flaw - some edges were too sharp and didnt have enough lacquer on them, therefore snow and salt corrodes the aluminum in the rim.

the 09 rims are of a different more rounded design.

L.
I wonder if the computers in the US are on the same network/main frame so that info would show up.

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Nope. My undercarriage is just fine. No rust, etc. It's just the wheels.

Oakley, that sounds like a hard sell for me. Perhaps if BounceNY gets it done like that, then I can gather the courage to ask haha.

Keep me updated Bounce, if you do get them replaced somehow.
No problem, will let you know.

Originally Posted by twofiddy
I thought I was the only person with this problem until I had read Oakley IS's original thread/post about his rims. I then called up my dealership and told them about the issue. My service rep wasn't familiar with this issue and I told him the info that Oakley IS had provided and for him to look it up. Sure enough he said that there have been a few complaints regarding this issue and they are going to sandblast and powdercoat all 4 rims for me. I have dropped off my rims and they should actually be ready by now (its been about a week). I am going to call them and find out what the status is.

My personal opinion is that this shouldn't be an issue "just because I live in a city that has snow and I drive in salt". There are thousands and thousands of cars (all different makes and models) on the road with aluminum rims shouldn't they all be experiencing this? The answer is no. In fact my winter wheels are aluminum and they only see snow and salt, and they aren't experiencing this. Does this mean that my aftermarket rims are better quality than my Lexus rims?
Totally agree with you, and that is where I am coming from. I hope they will at least powder coat them over, or just order a new set, they are not that expensive. I have the 17's that come stock with AWD.

heres what they look like POWDERCOAT THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nYce
Old 03-24-09, 04:45 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

I got a total of 6 rims done for $300, granted two were 17" RSX-S rims (my friend took another set to get done as backup/spare for his) So if you think about it, i got my 4 rims done for $200 these aren't flat black, the lady told us flatblack would fade/discolor within a year or so under the cali sun, my friend had already done his RSX-S rims at the same place, the same color as mine and his are still to this day perfect and they were done back in 06. I am going to take my center caps to get redone, looks like they didnt sandpaper it and the PC is starting to chip, but over all, they rock, i get a headups knod from IS and GS drivers everywhere, i love it lol
Old 03-24-09, 05:22 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I got a total of 6 rims done for $300, granted two were 17" RSX-S rims (my friend took another set to get done as backup/spare for his) So if you think about it, i got my 4 rims done for $200 these aren't flat black, the lady told us flatblack would fade/discolor within a year or so under the cali sun, my friend had already done his RSX-S rims at the same place, the same color as mine and his are still to this day perfect and they were done back in 06. I am going to take my center caps to get redone, looks like they didnt sandpaper it and the PC is starting to chip, but over all, they rock, i get a headups knod from IS and GS drivers everywhere, i love it lol
You got a great deal. For two hundred I'd do it without hesitating. Anyways, they look great.
Old 03-24-09, 08:12 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Thank you If you'd like more pictures let me know i'll send a link to my old thread
Old 05-27-09, 02:52 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue as the OP on all 4 of my wheels. Just got back from the dealer and while not replacing them they are going to take my car, give me a loaner for a couple of days, and send the wheels off to be refinshed or something. He said when they get back they'll look better than new. We shall see.
Old 05-27-09, 04:19 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I went to two dealers and both didn't want to do anything about it.
Old 05-27-09, 04:26 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

^
Bummer. Looks like I won't be asking them.
Old 05-27-09, 07:18 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were about 4 IS's in the lot and I checked all of them. None had the bubbling. One car for sure was older than mine. Obviously there is some quality control issue. Kind of like how some have rattles and others don't. I was prepared to get Corporate involved if the dealer had not offered to do something. Luckily it never got to that. The advisor agreed immediately that something was not right.

Good luck
Old 05-27-09, 08:11 PM
AWD_IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by BounceNY
I went to two dealers and both didn't want to do anything about it.
Very typical NYC dealership. Which dealership did you go? I had bad experience with Rockville Centre.
Old 05-27-09, 09:10 PM
jc86
Driver

if you're using a power washer to clean your rims that can happen if you get too close... i made that mistake too =T
Old 09-25-09, 02:39 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Default update

Originally Posted by AWD_IS
Very typical NYC dealership. Which dealership did you go? I had bad experience with Rockville Centre.
I went to two dealerships in Connecticut.

Originally Posted by jc86
if you're using a power washer to clean your rims that can happen if you get too close... i made that mistake too =T
No power washing, just sheepskin mitten & microfiber towels.

NEW UPDATE: I had emailed/called Lexus corporate to report my issue. They had me go back to the dealership so they can inspect the rims and make a report in their system. Two weeks after I got a call from Corporate saying they will cover the work to repair the rims ($600 is what the dealership quoted to repair them). They still gave me BS that its bc of the road salts, snow, etc...But as a one time goodwill they were going to do that for me. I guess its good to be persistent. PS - asked the dealership to inspect one of my tire sidewalls (bc it had a bubble) they charged me $53, I was pissed and let corprate know that as well. Maybe that is why they were nice about the rims...

So I will be dropping off the rims tomorrow, will take a week probably to have them fixed. I asked if they can powder coat them a diff color (black) but the service manager made it sound like its going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'll have to ask him about it again when I drop them off tomorrow.

Quick Reply: The paint is bubbling on my stock rims...