IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I joined the 'blacked out headlights' club...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 10:37 AM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please do this for me!!!
Old 03-28-09, 06:32 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
Is there a DIY for the actual headlight baking? Can anyone make this?
Dude, I explained it ad nauseum in the first post.

#1: Locate oven. Usually in kitchen.
#2: Look for a button, usually says "Oven temp" or "Temp" or perhaps... "Bake". Consult thesaurus if further synonyms for "Turn on the damn oven" are required.
#3: Locate the up/down arrows, which logically control temperature. Sometimes ovens default to a temperature higher than 200F. In this case, you'll need to decrement the temperature to reach 200. Sometimes the opposite is true. Act accordingly.
#4: Wait for pre-heat alarm/tone to flash/sound, alerting you that the oven is ready at the temperature of 200F.
#5: Insert headlight. Yep. Right on the rack. It's not gonna hurt 'em, you pantywaist.
#6: Wait 10 minutes, using either the oven's timer, your watch or your seriously advanced pituitary gland.
#7: Once 10 minutes expire, extract headlights. I did this barehanded, but some of those vaginally inclined might want to grab an oven-glove. (wimp)
#8: With the headlight out and on the workspace, take a flat-head screwdriver (preferably one you don't care much about) and insert it (heh, he said insert) between the clear cover/lense and the housing of the headlight. I did this on the inside edge. Work about 3-4 inches of area separated, but don't be aggressive. The plastic, when hot, is very pliable and will bend and distort. In short, it will be 'looser' when going back together, so you want to minimize the area around the headlight that you're digging with a screwdriver. If you don't understand this, then just stop reading and do not attempt any steps beyond this point. Please reinstall your headlights, the bumper, and accept your defeat due to your incompetence.
#9: With that small bit separated (or at least loosened up a good bit), start working the lense and housing apart. I literally did this with both lights, just pulling the two apart. It takes some effort, so dig deep, let 'em hang, and maybe even use your big boy voice if you need to. If you're finding it impossible, take whatever dignity you have left and put the headlights back in the oven for another 10 and let the glue get goopy again.
#10: Once the headlight is apart, set aside the housing and take a look at the lense. It has 3 small screws that hold on the chrome housing that you want to paint black. Remove those screws. Guess what's next?
#11: Remove the chrome housing.
#12: Paint the damn housing.

Guys, read. We're not 5 years old, we don't need pictures. It's a simple process.

Yes, I am a wise-a$$, but only when I think people are wanting everything spoonfed. If you're too scared to touch the stuff, then don't attempt.