IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got wheels but won't clear brakes! Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 07:49 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got wheels but won't clear brakes! Help.

I have a set of 18" Roja Formula 5's that I took off my S2000 when I sold it. I took my IS350 to the local tire shop to swap the TPMS sensors out of my stock wheels. They realized (after 4 hours of labor) that the offsets are correct, but the brakes are too big for the wheels!! I don't know know much about spacers, but will getting them solve my problem? The tire shop says they don't work with spacers because they are too dangerous. What should I do?
Old 03-31-09, 07:53 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

get i think 5mmspacers would do.... try to get extended lugs to go on with that.. or get the Ichiba V2 which is bolt on =)
Old 03-31-09, 08:03 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsy622
...They realized (after 4 hours of labor) that the offsets are correct, but the brakes are too big for the wheels!!
If they don't clear the brakes, then the offset is NOT correct. Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

I don't know know much about spacers, but will getting them solve my problem? The tire shop says they don't work with spacers because they are too dangerous. What should I do?
It depends how much space you need to clear the brakes. How many mm of extra space do you need to run the wheel? This will determine how big of a spacer you need. Of course, it's best not to run any spacer, but if you must run them, don't buy the cheapo/universal spacers - those are plain dangerous. Get a set that fits the 60.1mm hub for your car, and don't run anything too big.

Javier
Old 03-31-09, 08:07 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Oh sorry. I meant the bolt pattern was correct, but the offset was wrong.
Old 03-31-09, 08:28 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Jav is it the disk size that is wrong instead of the offset????
Old 03-31-09, 08:37 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^Depends on the wheel. Some wheels don't have different disks. I know for a fact that the offset is wrong.

Javier
Old 03-31-09, 11:04 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

How did it take the shop 4 hours to figure out the wheels wouldn't clear? It should have been apparent as soon as they tried to put one on. Usually, Hondas have higher offsets that many other cars so there's your problem. What offset are the Roja's?

I have a set of 18" Roja Formula 5's that I took off my S2000 when I sold it. I took my IS350 to the local tire shop to swap the TPMS sensors out of my stock wheels. They realized (after 4 hours of labor) that the offsets are correct, but the brakes are too big for the wheels!! I don't know know much about spacers, but will getting them solve my problem? The tire shop says they don't work with spacers because they are too dangerous. What should I do?
Old 03-31-09, 11:34 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

nice wheels
Old 03-31-09, 01:37 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know the offset is wrong if he hasn't even said it? Chances are it is a high offset wheel since S2K's usually require high offsets, but brake clearance is a combination of the design of the spokes and the disk clearance, NOT offset.

So check your "facts."
Old 03-31-09, 01:57 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

I have seen many wheels with the correct offset, but becuase of the style of wheel they wont clear the brakes without a spacer. Usually, its the face (spokes) of the wheel that hit the calipers on the IS.
Old 03-31-09, 02:05 PM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nicholasg
I have seen many wheels with the correct offset, but becuase of the style of wheel they wont clear the brakes without a spacer. Usually, its the face (spokes) of the wheel that hit the calipers on the IS.
That's right. The offset and bolt pattern were correct, but the wheel spokes were hitting the brakes. I'm guessing spacers would solve this problem. I just don't know anything about spacers and I hear that they're really dangerous. I use it as a daily driver, so would it be a bad idea to get spacers?
Old 03-31-09, 02:07 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

spacers are fine, just make sure the ones you get are hub centric and not generic spacers. 5mm would be more than enough.
Old 03-31-09, 02:38 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by car_lost
How do you know the offset is wrong if he hasn't even said it? Chances are it is a high offset wheel since S2K's usually require high offsets, but brake clearance is a combination of the design of the spokes and the disk clearance, NOT offset.

So check your "facts."
Who is this directed at? If the spokes are hitting the brakes, the offset is too low. Period. You're right in that disk does play a factor, but not all wheels offer different disks - some wheels have 'high' and 'low' disks. Most wheels do not - they only offer one 'disk.' ALL wheels have offsets, and just because a certain offset works on one wheel doesn't mean it will work for all wheels (obviously). In this specific case, the offsets on those wheels are too high - whatever the number is. If they weren't, OP wouldn't have clearance issues with the caliper.

Javier
Old 03-31-09, 03:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Actually Javy, I think car_lost is more correct in this case based on my understanding (learned from wheel experts on our forum over the years).

Brake clearance is primarily driven by disk fittment of the wheel and spoke design. Offset is a factor, but you usally are most concerned with those other two items first and foremost.

Jsy622, if you aren't going to track your car you should be just fine with spacers (assuming you don't have any rubbing problems due to the odd offset). One of our CL vendors has them on sale in the marketplace forum and I've seen at least one set in the classifieds used. Trick is going to be making sure you get one that's the right size to clear.
Old 03-31-09, 03:25 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used 25mm spacers on my wheels for the past 1/2 year even throughout the horrific north eastern roads in winter. Nothing dangerous unless you are super paranoid
The following users liked this post:
hcharlesc3 (04-03-17)

Quick Reply: Got wheels but won't clear brakes! Help.