IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Playing a DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 08:32 AM
NJMCTSV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playing a DVD

I'm still confused as to whether you can play/watch a DVD movie in an '09 IS250AWD with nav. I know there is no DVD nav disk in the unit. How does one go about playing a DVD movie? And how do you control the settings?

Many thanks.
Old 03-31-09, 09:01 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

do you have the mark levinson system?
Old 03-31-09, 09:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NJMCTSV
I'm still confused as to whether you can play/watch a DVD movie in an '09 IS250AWD with nav. I know there is no DVD nav disk in the unit. How does one go about playing a DVD movie? And how do you control the settings?

Many thanks.
There -is- a DVD nav disk, how else do you think it holds the maps? It's just a DVD-ROM drive though for the nav unit to read maps.

What there is not, unless you have Mark Levinson -and- nav, is a DVD movie player.

If you have nav -and- Mark Levinson it'll play movies while the car is in park (with the brake on). (though you can play with the wiring to make it work in motion)

If you just have nav, without ML, you can't play DVDs because your car doesn't have a DVD player.
Old 03-31-09, 09:51 AM
NJMCTSV
Driver School Candidate

I know there is a DVD disk, it's just that I do not (was not given) a physical disk when I purchased the car. I was told it was used to load the data, then removed. SHould I have been given a physical disk? My CTS-V has a DVD based Nav system, but the Nav DVD must be in in order to operate. If I remove the Nav DVD I can insert and view movie DVD's.

Also, I'm of the impression that there is no Mark Levinson option on the '09 IS's. AT least I didn't see it on the options sheet.
Old 03-31-09, 10:26 AM
Katyfan
Driver School Candidate

The nav DVD goes in a seperate drive located under the clock, and is cannot be used for regular DVDs. There will be a DVD logo on the front of you stereo if you are able to play DVDs.
Old 03-31-09, 11:26 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

no mark levinson = no DVD video/audio playback.

and my understanding is that the 2is is DVD based (addresses and POIs are stored on the DVD), and the disk needs to be in the nav DVD drive for the nav to function properly.

either the dealership is blowing smoke, or the 2009 2is's got a different nav system. imo more likely the former than the latter...
Old 03-31-09, 11:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I know there is a DVD disk, it's just that I do not (was not given) a physical disk when I purchased the car. I was told it was used to load the data, then removed. SHould I have been given a physical disk? My CTS-V has a DVD based Nav system, but the Nav DVD must be in in order to operate. If I remove the Nav DVD I can insert and view movie DVD's.

Also, I'm of the impression that there is no Mark Levinson option on the '09 IS's. AT least I didn't see it on the options sheet.

You were given a physical disk, it's inside the dash, running the nav unit. Your dealer, as is usually the case, has no idea what he's talking about.

There's absolutely ML for 09, as you can easily see at Lexus.com. It's also the only way to get DVD movie playback from the factory.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

"Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package $3,990"
Old 03-31-09, 06:09 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's absolutely ML for 09, as you can easily see at Lexus.com. It's also the only way to get DVD movie playback from the factory.
He may have plugged his zip code into "Build your IS" on the Lexus website and not seen ML in any of the listed configurations. If so, he'll most likely need to do a special order to get it.
Old 03-31-09, 07:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bichon
He may have plugged his zip code into "Build your IS" on the Lexus website and not seen ML in any of the listed configurations. If so, he'll most likely need to do a special order to get it.
As long as they build what he wants, even if it's in another zip, his dealer should be able to arrange a vehicle swap... now, if they don't make exactly what he wants at all anywhere in the country (mine was such a car) then yeah special order's his only route.
Old 04-01-09, 07:24 AM
NJMCTSV
Driver School Candidate

We're straying a little from my original subject - I already have the car, picked it up a month ago and love it! The car has everything except the ML package - I have the standard sound system with NAV. My question was can you play a DVD in this unit. The universal answer seemed to be "No."

However, having been around these kind of forums for a while (I'm a member on a CTS-V forum, having owned one since 2004) I've come to realize that, although there is a lot of great information to be gathered on these forums, there is also a lot of mis-information. The information I received on DVD playing on our '09 IS250 is one of them.

You can indeed play a DVD movie on a non-ML system with NAV.
However, the parking brake must be on and the vehicle power in the accessories mode. Once you release the parking brake and move, the video will blank, but the audio will continue to play. The CD changer also acts like a DVD changer - insert the DVD into any CD slot, push "CD-AUX" and all the DVD info appears on the display. So, yes, you can play a DVD while the car is at rest - at least you can on an '09 IS - I don't know about the other years.
Old 04-01-09, 08:06 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do it yourself

We're straying a little from my original subject - I already have the car, picked it up a month ago and love it! The car has everything except the ML package - I have the standard sound system with NAV. My question was can you play a DVD in this unit. The universal answer seemed to be "No."

However, having been around these kind of forums for a while (I'm a member on a CTS-V forum, having owned one since 2004) I've come to realize that, although there is a lot of great information to be gathered on these forums, there is also a lot of mis-information. The information I received on DVD playing on our '09 IS250 is one of them.

However, the parking brake must be on and the vehicle power in the accessories mode. Once you release the parking brake and move, the video will blank, but the audio will continue to play. The CD changer also acts like a DVD changer - insert the DVD into any CD slot, push "CD-AUX" and all the DVD info appears on the display. So, yes, you can play a DVD while the car is at rest - at least you can on an '09 IS - I don't know about the other years.
Why don't you just try it yourself since you have the car and I'm sure you have a DVD movie and let us know what happens.
Old 04-01-09, 08:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I've come to realize that, although there is a lot of great information to be gathered on these forums, there is also a lot of mis-information. The information I received on DVD playing on our '09 IS250 is one of them.
No it isn't. The information that Kurtz and projectdna gave you is 100% correct. The standard equipment entertainment system in the IS has a six disk CD changer that is physically incapable of playing DVD discs. This has not changed for the 2009 model year.
Old 04-01-09, 09:20 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

the lexus website (http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/detai...fications.html) states that the standard audio system in the 2is has this:

Lexus Premium Sound System with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer
this is what you need in your 2is to have DVD playback capability:

Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System with 7.1 architecture and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc DVD/CD auto-changer
and according to Mark Levinson Lexus' website (http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/index.asp):

Media Compatibility: CD, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs.
so, again, in order to have DVD audio playback, you will need the mark levinson sound system. and to have DVD video playback, you will need the ML sound system + nav.

unless somehow you ended up with an unmarked mark levinson system or you got a free upgrade, i highly doubt you have DVD video/audio playback.
Old 04-01-09, 10:07 AM
NJMCTSV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
the lexus website (http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/detai...fications.html) states that the standard audio system in the 2is has this:

this is what you need in your 2is to have DVD playback capability:

and according to Mark Levinson Lexus' website (http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/index.asp):

so, again, in order to have DVD audio playback, you will need the mark levinson sound system. and to have DVD video playback, you will need the ML sound system + nav.

unless somehow you ended up with an unmarked mark levinson system or you got a free upgrade, i highly doubt you have DVD video/audio playback.
Well, I guess there's only one way to find out - tonight I'll follow my dealer's advice and "simply insert a DVD into the CD changer." Let the chips fall where they may! I'll keep you all posted.

Note: My NAV manual makes no mention that a ML system is required, only that the player will accept CD's, MP3, Video CD's and DVD's. We'll see.
Old 04-01-09, 10:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectdna
Quick correction-

the ML sound system, by itself (without nav) does NOT play audio DVDs.

I know much of what is posted at Lexus.com and elsewhere suggests that it does, but it does not.

You only have a CD changer with ML and NO nav.

The only way to get the DVD changer (and any DVD capability whatsoever) is to have BOTH ML -and- Nav.

One or the other only gives you a CD changer, which can't even read DVDs, let alone play em.

Quick Reply: Playing a DVD