IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS new steering and handling after RECALL NOTICE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 08:39 PM
Ace00
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry IS new steering and handling after RECALL NOTICE!

After i got all three of my recalls done i started noticing that the steering wheel is extra sensitive. Has anyone notice it also?

I thought it would correct itself or go away after a few days but it's still there. I personally don't like it because now i feel like i have to drive it rather then guiding it. When I'm on the freeway, I have to be extra careful now and have two hands on the wheel because i feel like I could potentially lose control. Now I feel every groove on the freeway and bumps. If i move the steering wheel an inch to the right or left, it turns more so then it would in the past.

I feel it a lot more when i'm on the freeway and going above 65 mph.

I recently took it back to Newport Lexus and had Chris (Service Technician) go on a test drive with me and confirmed that it was due to the new RECALL installation they did which makes the handling really loose and extra sensitive. The old one was recalled because they had some complaints about the old one sticking or something.

......Bottom line, I hate how my car handles/steers now!
Old 04-30-09, 10:31 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This recall didn't mess with handling components, only steering so you should take your car back to the dealer as it could just be something in the settings. I had the recall done on mine a couple weeks ago and the steering came back non-responsive, as in driving down the highway and when trying to get in the left lane to pass, the steering wheel turned, then locked up. The dealer neglected to calibrate a sensor (forgot which one they said), and now that they've done that, it oversteers like crazy, so it's going back tomorrow. They think they know what it'll take to finally fix it.

Based on a couple other threads talking about the recalls, folks have had this recall done and are quite happy, so you're probably like me and just dealing with some human error by the dealer.

No matter what, this car is still a phenomenal car, just has a few more bugs (recalls) that Lexus is trying to work out. So go spend a little time and polish her up, then you'll love her all over again.
Old 04-30-09, 08:01 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace00
After i got all three of my recalls done i started noticing that the steering wheel is extra sensitive. Has anyone notice it also?

I thought it would correct itself or go away after a few days but it's still there. I personally don't like it because now i feel like i have to drive it rather then guiding it. When I'm on the freeway, I have to be extra careful now and have two hands on the wheel because i feel like I could potentially lose control. Now I feel every groove on the freeway and bumps. If i move the steering wheel an inch to the right or left, it turns more so then it would in the past.

I feel it a lot more when i'm on the freeway and going above 65 mph.

I recently took it back to Newport Lexus and had Chris (Service Technician) go on a test drive with me and confirmed that it was due to the new RECALL installation they did which makes the handling really loose and extra sensitive. The old one was recalled because they had some complaints about the old one sticking or something.

......Bottom line, I hate how my car handles/steers now!

That's the exact opposite result I had with the steering recall. I always thought that one of the major weaknesses of my 350 was the mushy, loose steering. After the recall, the car's handling is much improved. The steering is stiffer and more controlled. It's not an Audi or a Beemer, but a huge improvement nonetheless. Feels like a different car. The dealer must have done something wrong on your steering recall. Get it looked at again.

Good luck on getting your issue resolved.

Last edited by S to the K; 05-01-09 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 09:57 AM
chavezguy
Driver

I agree .... I recently got mine done 2 days ago and my steering is improved and alot more responsive!
Old 05-01-09, 10:02 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

This is a dumb question and i dont mean to thread jack... but can you get the recalls done if your vehicle is out of factory warranty? or do they replace it even if it is out of warranty given that it's a major component that was recalled?
Old 05-01-09, 11:46 AM
airwrench
Rookie

What recall is this? I have an 06 350, am I subject to it?
Old 05-01-09, 03:19 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

The fuel line, rear caliper sliding pin, and steering. Mail was sent out for these recalls. Mine will be going in on the 16th - back log on the fuel line and I don't want to bring the car in multiple times. Hopefully, I can get a new 2010 RX as a loaner.
Old 05-01-09, 09:06 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

I just had my 3 recalls done as well... I didn't get any mail about it though. I just went to the Lexus website and logged in, and checked my VIN # on there, then set up an appointment with the local dealer. Had to wait about 3 weeks for them to order and get the parts needed for it.

After the steering fix I noticed my steering was a bit stiffer as well... not sure I like it yet... will take some getting used to. I rather liked the way it felt before.
Old 05-02-09, 12:09 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my recalls done back in march and my steering is fine no problems here.
Old 05-03-09, 01:43 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering

After reading this and the other post, I don't think I will allow them to mess with the steering. Its good and heavy now, and I don't want that numb feeling. If I wanted a Ford, I would have bought a ford.

Fuel line they can replace, don't really want them to, but leaking gas isn't good.
Car has never been in the snow and salt, so I don't think the caliper bolts are an issue. But I guess I will let them change them. They shouldn't be able to mess them up.
Steering is fine. Tires wearing good. If its not broke don't fix it.
Old 05-03-09, 01:51 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 09 lexus is250 .. i didn't have the recall but i think i know what u are talking about

my steering goes left or right wen it goes over bumps or braking on a uneven surface its really annoying .. car sometimes goes side to side due to the curvature of the road .. i dun like it .. but thats how the car is ><