IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wheel Spacers... . Long Term Effects, Concerns, Warranty Issues???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 11:24 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers... . Long Term Effects, Concerns, Warranty Issues???

What's the deal with wheel spacers? Can they cause any damage to the vehicle whatsoever, especially long-term? Can the dealer run some game and void the warranty on some component and if so, what?

I'm looking at the Linea Corse Dyna wheels, but they require spacers to clear the front brakes of 350. If I go for these wheels, I will need spacers for the front to clear the brakes & probably the back to match the front.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...a-got-lip.html

Anybody have any issues with vibrations, wear or damage? Or better yet, has anybody have the dealer give them grief for having spacers?

Last edited by S to the K; 04-02-09 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 12:26 AM
nugatory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really have to use SPACER. I will go with 10MM or more from H&R or other reputable maker.
10MM spacer is bold to the hub than wheel will be install on the spacer with another set of bolts.
So you will be safe.
ALL 10MM spacer are hub-centeric so you will not have any problem with vibration.
Old 04-03-09, 06:05 AM
chavezguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great ?... I was thinking the same.... anymore insight on this?
Old 04-03-09, 07:15 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a pair of hubcentric spacer that was custom made for our cars with built in studs. The width was 25mm or 1". No vibration issues, had them for half a year on my car all year round even through winter. No issues at all.

Dealer never said a thing about it either, they just compliment me for the stance on the car.
Old 04-03-09, 09:47 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great questions. I'm thinking of doing 20mm - 15mm and had the same concerns. One question to add. What about additional rock chips???
Old 04-03-09, 11:05 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Lobuxracer didn't teach me anything that I don't already know, I had consulted with many professors in both mechanical and material engineering departments regarding suspension geometry and the shear stress on the studs, before making my decision with spacers, and its overall a low risk one.

Unfortunately if your knowledge of mechanical systems and natural sciences are low, you wont completely understand the risks involved. I do, and it's as big a risk as people riding on coils or lowering their car in general... of course you dont do any of that so you run no risks at all.
Old 04-03-09, 12:33 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

lol got my butt hurt wtf? You're so pompous. I have debated with him on his issue many times and each time we have come to agree that there are issues, but nothing that is pinpointing to say there will definitely be failures as we are both citing our sources using theories and general knowledge in mechanical systems, unless we replicate the model and compute the data, repeat the trials over a period of many miles, there is no certainty.

As for you having no problems with mechanical knowledge, it is because you have none. Now if you would like, I can PM lubo for you, he would be proud to know someone on this forum is jocking all over his nuts.

If you cant see that him and I were respectfully debating this issue sharing both sides of our view on the same issues, and you think we are trying to prove each other wrong, you have got major issues.

You act like a 13 year old, and unfortunately for you, I act immature as well so if really want to go at it with me trying to be all pompous about your all knowing knowledge, when every post you made in those Acura TL threads, IS350 threads, and technical threads like this shows you know absolutely nothing cept a big ego cuz you have a 350, I have all the time in the world to keep making you look dumb in front of the whole forum.

Edit: And since you inquired, then sure, the mechanical professor I spoke to specializes in the field of mechanical components, he is the leading researcher in developing stress models for the aviation industry in regards to stress on engine component, the other professor I spoke to used to lead the awd project research for Subaru, and we discussed the effect of shear strain on the studs, based on the thickness of the spacer I was running and we ran through several scenarios to see the % of increase strains on each studs.

Last edited by mikez; 04-03-09 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 12:41 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh snap... n e wayz i would like to do a 15MM on my ride now
Old 04-03-09, 01:14 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

lol lower what standards? I have to lower my level of education to pre school to argue with you

You are telling me that I am being general and not specific, yet in every single thread you have brought up nothing but b.s, where is your specific knowledge? Who told you have those misconceptions that resides in that head of yours? Those false information definitely didnt come from me cuz if they did, at least you have a few theories to back them up lol

Here is a tip for you, google shear stress, and and look at how sheer stress is derived. The reason why built in studs are preferred for thick spacers directly relates to the derivation. If you be nice and tell me you dont understand, I'll lower my standard some more and tutor this stuff to you... for free

Personally I have followed all those threads where you have nothing but disrespected memebers like JoeZ, Passnue with you so called "specific" knowledge... and secretly I was hoping you would pick a fight with me, and all I gotta say, if you think what I said to you are personal attacks... you better have a lot of patience cuz I will make you flip out

Edit:

After seeing your other post, you are seriously lacking in any sort of common knowledge. Did you even went to school? Don't you know that the world of science is built upon the fundamentals of a few laws? The exact stress and strain wheel bearing experiences is base on the fundamental derivation of stress equations, and the difference between them and any other items such as aircraft engines are merely the planes of stress, the geometry of the object, and the type of force they experience in vector form, or planar etc. If those are idiotic statements to you, then I know why you never went to college...

Last edited by mikez; 04-03-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 01:51 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Flame talk? I'm not flaming, I am just stating the obvious, I think everyone here feels the same about you and your "if you're not in agreement with me you're wrong" attitude, please refer to your PSI and 0-60 thread. I would say your level of maturity comes across as being my age, but thats giving you too much credit, at least I am young and I admit being hot headed and immature at times.

If I see something I disagree, I either respectfully say so, or I ignore it if I know what I say will be of major disagreement with the other person. I dont go, "you're wrong, you got owned, stop lying" like you, I just don't have as much class as JoeZ and Passnue and Felixcat backing down and not argue with you, they see it as hopeless, but I love a good beef

But back to the topic, if I cant apply mechanical engineering analysis what can I apply? Everyday usage? Yep been doing it for half a year now in some of the worst roads in the country through winter fall and summer. I average 360 miles a week on my car, I can safely say I put the most amount of miles on spacers on this forum, and on a set of very aggressive spacers. Will it induce premature wear? Yes. Is it ultra dangerous? Not if you do it right. Like I said before, even something as simple as lowering your car on springs you expose yourself to the many dangers that I wont even dwell into.

But wait... what did lobu say in his posts too? Oh yeah that's right, mechanical engineering stuff... except I focused directly on the force stress analysis on the studs themselves, where as he focused on the overall change in the suspension geometry and change in force vectors being applied to the bearings and whatever.

Oh wait again! Did you know by lowering your car you change the geometry of the suspension as well, and the forces on each, bolt, bearing has been changed, a few degree in the change of the force vector could potentially cause a fatal accident as the part could outright fail if somehow the sum of those force vector during a suspension compression adds up to higher than the UTS of the material. I dont see you going nuts on other suspension threads?

Last edited by mikez; 04-03-09 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 01:53 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

where is that popcorn when i need one..
Old 04-03-09, 01:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stvincent
where is that popcorn when i need one..
Pop corns does not relate to the topic of this thread

Plus, this might go on for a while, so you might want to find something healthier lol.
Old 04-03-09, 02:02 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I went butt quiet? lol

I did not respond because unlike you, I dont argue on points I have no experiences about. I am not going to be making an *** of myself like you. I was focusing on the studs themselves, where as lobu was focusing on something else. Since he refuse to counter on the points I made directly, I will assume he agrees with me. And since I have no knowledge on the points he made, I am not going to prove him wrong other wise though I have my doubts. I went ahead and ride on spacers confident in my own knowledge, and what I post in this thread originally was based off my personal experience, point me a post where I counter what lobu said where my false information are?

Now for you, I didnt get butt hurt, cuz like you I like to argue and prove a point, but unlike you I am not a girl and I dont get my ego stepped on over an argument, people can prove what I said wrong, and its call learning something new or adding more information to what I already know, its not a competition, I suggest you start adding some to that closed mind of yours as well.

Now since youre so good with the search bar, keep searching, lobu and I have argued on a lot of points before, and we can do it like gentlemen and respectfully decline each others opinion. Something which you can't seems to do properly, just refer to the 1st page of this thread.

Edit:

And to clear things up, maybe youre a cool guy in real life, who knows? But I am just personally sick of the way you attack other people when your own opinions does not agree and you go to extreme lengths to bash the other users (just look at your argument with Felixcat), I am just giving you a taste of yourself, cuz I don't think you will ever watch what you say to people unless someone comes out and openly bash you so you can see what you say are making other people feel.

Last edited by mikez; 04-03-09 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 02:30 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

To answer your misconception, I am not an aerospace major, if I am I wouldnt need so many dumb posts back and forth with you, fortunately this back and forth does prove my point that you are just as immature as me. I am an industrial Systems and Financial major, I deal with probabilities and simulation modeling.

If you read, you would noticed I've had spacers for half a year... its in that block of text you quoted from me And you think you're so experienced, you are so clueless.... how can you argue with someone telling them they are wrong.. when you dont even understand the information you are quoting?

If you don't mind me asking... what was your point again? And how am I making excuses? lol and what is your contribution to this thread? I have pulled more real information out into this thread arguing with you than all the mechanical knowledge you will ever know, and all you say is:

You're making excuses
You're a kid
You're changing topic

Let me outline this for you, surely you cover critical reading in English class at some point in your life.

I said I run spacer and its fine

You said I am lying by point out the other thread

In the other thread:

I made a point

Lobu counter with another

The point I made are fundamentally correct that is why he counter with his on a bigger picture than mine, unfortunately thats not something I understand nor did I come across anything like it in my research before my purchase so I can add nothing more to his point

Back to this thread:

You keep insisting I am spreading false information

I make some more factual point with you backing up the fact that the stud does handle it if you are analyzing the studs themselves.

I provide other examples that the change in suspension modding will give the same effect as the point lobu made in the other thread.

You said I am out of excuse

Is it just me or are we going around in circles? Or you would prefer it if I dumb it down some more and just go: no, you're wrong, I'm right, no you're wrong, I'm right with you?

I can also do your momma jokes if that is what you usually do as well

Last edited by mikez; 04-03-09 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 02:44 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Lobu would be proud he has a personal side kick, you must be tight with him.

The reason why I had my doubts is that the bigger the picture, the less accurate the system becomes... unless he has replicate the results theories are theories, and one can make them as scary or as tame as they would like as long as they know their stuff, I took his information with a grain of salt and its something I have thought about, like I point out, once you change your suspension design you basically exposed yourself to the same dangers.

And this brings to the point that you have no clue in what youre quoting. You used what he said to try to prove me wrong, when what I said was not wrong at all, merely one system vs another, and yet you tell me that lobu's bigger picture > my point, but since you do not know that his bigger system = the entire suspension, therefore its > every thread covering any suspension changes.

Unfortunately something of that complex you can either speculate or do the maths, ask lobu he is half speculating and half from personal experiences himself.

I invite you to read his quote again, and here are some information for you: alloys have a stress at which they begin to deform or fail, and for types of common AL billet they are some where to the point of 30,000 lbs / square inch... now tell me how many kg / cm squared that is and you will see that despite the car acting on the suspension is in the magnitudes of tonnes, there is still a lot up in the air in our discussion.

How much is force acting on the individual components during cornering? or sitting still? How much stress can the components take? What are the factor of safety built into those components (if its 2, then that means you can increase your suspension load 2x before risking failure)? What type of stress does those part take?

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers... . Long Term Effects, Concerns, Warranty Issues???