IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

audio is only for the front driver and passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 09:04 PM
noliesss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio is only for the front driver and passenger?

I have a 2007 250 AWD with no NAV nor ML, just the regular audio system. I sat in the rear seats today to test out the sound and it seems that the sound are coming from the front and nothing out of the rear except for the sub in the trunk. it sounds awfully weird and unlike BMW 325i, Mercedes c300, and hondas. I got 4 mentioned car and the sound from the back seats are from the rear trunk area but the lexus seems to have the sound coming from the front even with the system set to all positions. When i switch to rear position only the sound will sound like the back seat of all the cars but in all/front/driver position the sound is only coming from the front? does the MID setting have anything to do with this problem? Can you guys test out your car and let me know if i need to take this to the dealer. thanks.
Old 04-07-09, 02:56 AM
dembou
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Almost the same

Originally Posted by noliesss
I have a 2007 250 AWD with no NAV nor ML, just the regular audio system. I sat in the rear seats today to test out the sound and it seems that the sound are coming from the front and nothing out of the rear except for the sub in the trunk. it sounds awfully weird and unlike BMW 325i, Mercedes c300, and hondas. I got 4 mentioned car and the sound from the back seats are from the rear trunk area but the lexus seems to have the sound coming from the front even with the system set to all positions. When i switch to rear position only the sound will sound like the back seat of all the cars but in all/front/driver position the sound is only coming from the front? does the MID setting have anything to do with this problem? Can you guys test out your car and let me know if i need to take this to the dealer. thanks.
I too have a similar concern. I have the nav system without mark levinson. In my car the front speakers are louder than the ones on the rear doors, if I channel all the sound to the rear, the sound is there but extremely low compared to the front ones when I adjust at the same volume to the center or front.

Can someone else try their system and post the result? thanks.
Old 04-07-09, 07:21 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

this is the way our car's audio system is, rear speakers barely make any noise.
Old 04-07-09, 08:53 AM
curtdragon
Driver School Candidate

I dunno, I never sat in the back =D
Honestly though it sounds pretty good for a stock system. I will test it out when I go on lunch
Old 04-07-09, 09:35 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

try fading it to the rear speakers, there's a huge difference
Old 04-07-09, 09:56 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexboi250
try fading it to the rear speakers, there's a huge difference
i was just going to say the same thing, i had to do this.
Old 04-07-09, 10:54 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
i was just going to say the same thing, i had to do this.
I did this as well (but I also did it in my Accord and Grand Prix's as well), so I'm not sure I'm a good test candidate.
Old 04-07-09, 11:03 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Realistically, you don't really want to hear the rear speakers too much in the first place. They're just there for rear fill. Pretty much all my previous systems were set up the rears toned down too. I don't think it matters, but I have a ML system in my 250.
Old 04-07-09, 11:05 AM
curtdragon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Silver'04
Realistically, you don't really want to hear the rear speakers too much in the first place. They're just there for rear fill. Pretty much all my previous systems were set up the rears toned down too. I don't think it matters, but I have a ML system in my 250.
true its like my brother and his surround sound at home.. he has large speakers so the sub doesnt pound all the time. Its normal and the sub only fills in when the base is really deep and cause the speakers do the job well enough
Old 04-07-09, 11:37 AM
vtrusty
Rookie

you do know there are audio position presets, correct?

there is one called driver, front, rear, all, etc. changes which speakers are used for the setup. make sure you are set to all. i forget which button it is on the dash, but its there.

note, these presets have nothing to do with the fade/balance setup. it is its own button to control where you want the music to be outputted
Old 04-07-09, 11:39 AM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by curtdragon
true its like my brother and his surround sound at home.. he has large speakers so the sub doesnt pound all the time. Its normal and the sub only fills in when the base is really deep and cause the speakers do the job well enough
Yeah, the idea is to replicate a live performance. All the musical info comes from the center stage in front of you. This is also why some people even run a mono signal in the rear, so that you don't get a distinct left/right coming from the rear, to detract from the strength of the front left, front center, front right etc...
Old 04-07-09, 11:54 AM
dembou
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree that for a factory setup, this is one of the best.

I was concerned because the day that I noticed the sound difference was the same day it smelled like if something electrical was burning and I wasn't sure if it was in the car or outside... Apparently it was outside cause nothing strange is going on with the car.
Old 04-07-09, 06:09 PM
noliesss
Driver

I had to say the rear speakers are low and the sub is even lower. you can barely here the sub. The front speakers are doing all the work. If I fade more to the rear speakers the sound is not as good as if leaving them in neutral.