IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't decide between G37 or IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 10:45 AM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would buy the g37.... just cause my friend has one and its fast a moutha *******
Old 04-06-09, 10:57 AM
See-Fu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
How much do you plan on modding the vehicle? Lexus is synonymous with Luxury, but the G37 will be easier to mod. Plus, you're comparing a coupe vs. a sedan. A more appropriate comparo would be the IS350 vs. the G35S.
I dont plan on modding the car at all. they have a g37 4 dr now.
Old 04-06-09, 10:59 AM
See-Fu
Driver School Candidate

How do you guys like the paddle tranny on the IS? I only got to use it for a short bit on teh test drive. It seemed fairly quick, but I don't think it's as quick as the manual on the g37. But it could all be a mental thing.
Old 04-06-09, 11:10 AM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go with IS350 for "is how smooth it is and that interior."
Old 04-06-09, 11:16 AM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by See-Fu
How do you guys like the paddle tranny on the IS? I only got to use it for a short bit on teh test drive. It seemed fairly quick, but I don't think it's as quick as the manual on the g37. But it could all be a mental thing.
The paddle tranny is for show. I had the car for a year and used the paddles for about 10 minutes.
Old 04-06-09, 11:22 AM
Thunker
Driver School Candidate

I shopped the two also but I probably won't buy until late summer because of some things going on at work. If you plan to keep the car for a long time get the Lexus. They're better built and have significantly less problems according to J.D. Powers. Get the Lexus if brand name is important - my wife doesn't like Infiniti because, to her, it doesn't have the brand name appeal of a Lexus so chicks dig Lexus If you have kids you may be better off with the Infiniti because the back seats are pretty cramped on an IS for anything other than short trips. I have two kids but we have an SUV for long trips so that works out for us. I personally like both cars a lot but the lexus seems more refined. Oh, and I found out that insurance is like $125 cheaper every six months for the Lexus
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They're not really shifters, they let you limit the top gear of the car. It remains fully auto otherwise.

If you set it for 4 then it's a 4 speed auto. If you move the paddle up to 5 it becomes a 5 speed auto, and so on. You never directly control shifts.

Just leave it in D, the ECU is better (and faster) at shifting than any human anyway.
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The paddles don't provide actual control over gear changes. They pretty much allow you to select the max gear the car can shift into, and the vehicle will move between gears as it usually does.

So if you 'shift' all the way up to 6th from a stop, the car will proceed through the gears (1-6) as normal. It will not attempt to accelerate from 6th. However, using this same method, you can force downshifts or hold gears, by limiting the max gear for the RPM you're in.

If you're in it for a true manual, the IS won't offer that.
Old 04-06-09, 11:27 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Just get whatever is a better deal
Old 04-06-09, 11:45 AM
See-Fu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blk250
i would go with IS350 for "is how smooth it is and that interior."
center console
IS > G37
guage cluster
G37 > IS

but damm that center console. wow, so sexy, so refined compared to the G37.
Old 04-06-09, 11:46 AM
See-Fu
Driver School Candidate

Question about options.

It looks like the only option I can get on the IS 350 is the nav system according to the lexus website? All IS 350's come w/ the sport package i guess?
Old 04-06-09, 12:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You're doing it wrong :P

Look here:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

That describes the options available.

The "build your own" method I guess you're using only shows you the configs that are likely to be sitting on local dealer lots, not the whole range of what Lexus offers.

The sport package most definitely is NOT standard on the IS350, it's an option (described in the URL I posted, and one which I highly recommend)
Old 04-06-09, 12:07 PM
See-Fu
Driver School Candidate

thanks, i was trying to figure out why i didn't see it.
Old 04-06-09, 12:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been searching on the G37 forums and here on what people think. On the G37 forums it's pretty much even if price was the same. G37 is more fun to drive, but everything else goes to the IS. I kind of think the samething. The IS is no slouch, but comparing it to the G37, I like how the G37 feels more. What I really like about the IS is how smooth it is and that interior. What other reasons made you guys buy the IS or evne the G37?

I did a quick search and I couldn't find any comparison, but I only went throuhg the first 6 pages of threads, maybe I had to dig deeper?
What's more important to YOU? It's gonna be your purchase to live with.
Old 04-06-09, 12:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is NOT a feature to buy the IS for. The paddle shifter in the IS is lame. All it really does is lock out any gear higher than you have selected--lower gears will still operate upshifts and downshifts automatically.

Quick Reply: Can't decide between G37 or IS350