IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't decide between G37 or IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 12:55 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogers2
In my opinion both cars are great. Unlike others here on the board I just don’t see Lexus on the same level as BMW and MB. Lexus make nice cars but nothing to make me say wow. Well maybe the LS460 on occassions. I say go test drive both vehicles and let us know your opinion again. Both cars look good in cocaine white.
Well Put.
Old 04-07-09, 01:11 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to agree with pretty much what's been said. Also the IS is the best looking in it's class in terms of exterior looks IMO. The G37 sedan is butt. I would rank them like this: IS>C>A4>3>G, and I'm referring to the sedans of course.
Old 04-07-09, 01:58 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

my gf drives a g37. she got it when it was just released. you cant go wrong with either car. if you want a 4dr go with the is350, if you want a coupe, g37. The IS's are very popular now. I see it everywhere vs g37 sightings! because of that I would go with the g37
Old 04-07-09, 05:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
In my opinion both cars are great. Unlike others here on the board I just don’t see Lexus on the same level as BMW and MB.
That's true... Lexus cars are vastly more reliable than those other two brands, and have significantly fewer reported problems.

Good point!
Old 04-07-09, 05:12 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That's true... Lexus cars are vastly more reliable than those other two brands, and have significantly fewer reported problems.

Good point!

Lexus is at the second place of fewest reported problems behind Porsche.
Old 04-07-09, 05:17 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

if you can't decide between the 2, why not take the thrid?( only if you dont care about brand imege)
i test drove one, feels 95% G37, but way cheaper.

Old 04-07-09, 05:24 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think those tail lights look so ugly .,....^

for soem reason that car reminds me of a suoped up KIA or somthing hahah
Old 04-07-09, 05:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Those offsets are absolutely HORRIBLE for a "show car" too...

Javier
Old 04-07-09, 05:38 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Those offsets are absolutely HORRIBLE for a "show car" too...

Javier
i agree wif you!
Old 04-07-09, 06:01 PM
Paranormal
Driver

I actually have the luxury of having both cars, GF = G37 , Me = IS350

Each car has there pro's & con's so it all depends on personal preference. I have owned both previous models as well ( 03 Is300 & 07 g35 ). The IS350 is much more of luxury vehicle and the quality of the interior is much better. But i honestly prefer the navigation system in the G, it offers Landscape view which is a 3D view of the surrounding area " Lexus should do this " . The sound system is also much better in the G, I have the ML in my IS and have blown my sub twice already ( time for JL upgrade ). Performance wise - the G will walk away from the IS till 2nd gear then it will taper off till 70 where the torque will kickin for the G. I dont like the fact the car uses the remote to start because it drains the battery in the key fob. The G is also a lot easier to mod, i know they have been working on a lower plentum for similar to the setup on the g35 which added about 45 rwhp. All in all both are great cars but the G is a true sports car and you can turn it into a beast. The IS pure luxury with some serious power behind it. I would write more guys but i gotta get out of the office! lol

Drive both and push them both hard so you know what you getting into

Good Luck
Old 04-07-09, 07:07 PM
VTLexus
Driver

I bought my IS350 for two main reasons. At the time it had more bells and whistles than the G (and the TL, 330), and every other person I knew had a G coupe. Granted it was the G35, but still a G.

I agree with some of the points made in this thread already. The G's nav unit is nicer than the IS. The throttle is also more responsive. Forget which car is faster, in day to day driving, it makes no difference.

In my opinion you should drive each car 3-4 different times, and figure out which one u like sitting in more, which one u like looking at more, and which one u enjoy driving more. Within no time you are going to lean one way and that should be your decision.

People also commented on reliability. It makes no difference. If you plan on having the car for 15 years, we might have a conversation, but everything will be under warranty for the first 3-5 years depending on your dealer. After that, you're still buying a Lexus/Infiniti,, it's not going to give you problems the way a Ford or some other piece of **** might.

Lastly, I know some Infiniti dealerships in the DC area offer the "500 Club". It's basically free oil changes and car washes for life, plus all services for the first few years are free. Take cost of ownership into regard, it does matter.
Old 04-07-09, 09:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rule1223
Lexus is at the second place of fewest reported problems behind Porsche.
This past year was the first in the last 15 that lexus wasn't #1 in fewest reported problems long term... (it was still awfully close to the top though)... in all that time it's always been way ahead of both MB and BMW (and Infiniti in fairness)
Old 04-08-09, 06:38 AM
Feirax
Driver

I would vote for the G if you can't decide. (Although, I can only comment relative to the last gen G35.) I bought the Lexus IS350 because the engine/drive-train felt more refined and less vibey at high rpm. I was concerned with this primarily because I thought it would factor in to reliability, so it swung my vote to the Lexus. For me, while I love my car, the thing has so many creaks and rattles it's almost embarrassing to have anyone in the car.

Also, while some don't like the NAV, personally I love it. Pricey option relatively speaking, but the bluetooth and backup camera are great features. The bluetooth is one of my favorites features in this car, and while you can get the feature on a portable gps most aren't as good as the built in lexus system. The lex NAV also has benefits vs. a portable: no messy wiring, don't have to worry about hiding it, it works in cold weather (garmin doesn't work well if you leave it in car below 32deg and try to use it right away, it has to warm up), and lastly the Lexus Nav lets you set your destination by phone number (makes my BMW friend so jealous).

Either way, you can't go wrong with either car. GL
Old 04-08-09, 06:58 AM
tmaung
Driver

Originally Posted by Feirax
For me, while I love my car, the thing has so many creaks and rattles it's almost embarrassing to have anyone in the car.
You do know there is a TSIB out for the rattles right?
Old 04-08-09, 07:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Feirax

Also, while some don't like the NAV, personally I love it. Pricey option relatively speaking, but the bluetooth and backup camera are great features. The bluetooth is one of my favorites features in this car, and while you can get the feature on a portable gps most aren't as good as the built in lexus system. The lex NAV also has benefits vs. a portable: no messy wiring, don't have to worry about hiding it, it works in cold weather (garmin doesn't work well if you leave it in car below 32deg and try to use it right away, it has to warm up), and lastly the Lexus Nav lets you set your destination by phone number (makes my BMW friend so jealous).

Either way, you can't go wrong with either car. GL

The Lexus nav won't display caller ID info while the car is in motion.

My Garmin will.

That's a pretty big advantage to BT on the Garmin IMHO.

There's not really messy wiring either... a Nuvi'll run for hours without even being plugged in at all... and if you DO need to, it's one wire.

Quick Reply: Can't decide between G37 or IS350