IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why doesn't Lexus offer manual transmission in the IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 02:29 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pharrside
I think Toyota would be really dumb not to update their transmission. I mean they have comealong way in a traditionally dominated by the Germans market, but they still have a very long way to go. It is nice to pull 306 horses out of a 3.5 but if your tranny takes 1-2 sec to shift....well there is a problem. I almost compare it (very loosely) to the TL debaucle. I loved my RSX but when I test drove a 2k8 TL-S and got enough torque steer to pull me into the next lane at the start.....I almost puked. The fact is Toyota needs to fix the "achilles heel" of the IS350 and when they do they definately will have THE entry Lux Sports Sedan. Untill then I will gladly makes Mustang GT owners gasp in disbelief (instead of say 370z owners)

when did the is-f have mt??
Actually, the IS350 transmission does not take 1-2 seconds to shift. The actual shift takes around 1 millisecond (.001 seconds). Although not as fast as the ISF transmission, it is certainly in the middle of some other exotic transmissions.
Old 04-16-09, 02:53 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Gents,

There is a 3.5 with a 6 speed manual. Lotus will be using it in the new Evora!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-evora.html

Koz
Old 04-16-09, 03:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Gents,

There is a 3.5 with a 6 speed manual. Lotus will be using it in the new Evora!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-evora.html

Koz
Yeah but it'll be 2GR-FE (the engine in the RAV4, Camry, etc...) not the 2GR-FSE in the IS350
Old 04-16-09, 05:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Oh how I would love to have a really good friend at Lotus with access to Toyota's engine management software.... but I digress...
Old 04-17-09, 12:15 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
So you found -one- market in the world (and it's not the largest, or even the 2nd largest, or even the 3rd largest) where manuals still sell in any decent numbers, and even _there_ the % of cars with manuals is declining steadily and is projected to continue dropping into the future... and that somehow proves it's not a relic of the past that will be extinct in due course?

Doesn't that sorta prove the exact opposite?

And what are the numbers for manuals in the actual larger markets where most of the cars in the world are sold? (US, Japan, China, etc?)

My apologies on the porsche though, I should have written if you want the fastest 911 it won't have a 3rd pedal... the PDK model is faster and gets better mileage than the manual does. I expect it'll make its way into even the GTx models before long though as the few holdouts left come around to realizing the dinosaur of the clutch pedal does nothing but slow you down and hurt efficiency.

Oh, wait, my bad.... it already IS planned for the next GT3...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...he-911/233008/

"We do know that the GT3 will get Porsche’s new seven-speed, dual-clutch transmission, officially known as Porsche Doppel Kupplung (PDK)."

So the only reason the GT3 doesn't have it yet is the current one is the old model. Hence it's only offering old tech like a clutch pedal. The new model fixes that problem by offering something modern and faster

So I was right after all, just a touch early since "offical" track times won't be published for a bit on the new model.
Oh yeah, Western Europe is such a tiny market.

There are 218 million passenger cars registered in Europe. The ratio of passenger cars to population in Western Europe is 1:2.

http://www.acea.be/index.php/news/ne...hicles_in_use/

Even if we split that right down the middle and just assume that there is uniform distribution of vehicles across all of Europe, that's still 109 million cars in Western Europe, and using the 75% figure that's still 81.75 million cars.

Real big incentive to stop making manuals there, buddy. And regardless of the availability of dual-clutch gearboxes, there will always be that group of enthusiasts that want a manual.

EDIT: And PDK, F1, SMG, and so on aren't automatics. I doubt they'll find their way out of halo cars/specialty manufacturers in the next 25 years due to cost of design, manufacture, and maintenance. Ferrari has had F1 since the 90s......why haven't they phased out their manual transmissions yet? Or Porsche, when they designed Tiptronic in the late 80s. BMW has had SMG and Steptronic since the mid 90s as well, and yet not only do they offer a manual, it's still the cheapest transmission option by a thousand dollars.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, and that 75% number....I just realized that's a PRODUCTION number. Not just for local consumption. That means 75% of all BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Vauxhall, Opel, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Seat, Citroen, Renault, Volkwagen, Saab, Volvo, Peugeot, Ford Europe, and so on and so forth PRODUCED had manuals. That includes the automatic only brands, like Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Land Rover, etc.

That's a lot of manuals. The breed is definitely not dying as quickly as you'd like us to think.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-17-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 12:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by panyo64
Oh yeah, Western Europe is such a tiny market.

There are 218 million passenger cars registered in Europe. The ratio of passenger cars to population in Western Europe is 1:2.

Even if we split that right down the middle and just assume that there is uniform distribution of vehicles across all of Europe, that's still 109 million cars in Western Europe, and using the 75% figure that's still 81.75 million cars.
Compared to the US, or Japan, or China, yes, Western Europe is a smaller market.

So nearly all the buyers in your top 3 markets couldn't care less about having a clutch pedal. In fact they're prefer not to have one. In the one market in the world that DOES seem to care the % of people buying them is dropping steadily. That doesn't exactly spell bright future for outdated inferior technology.

Real big incentive to stop making manuals there, buddy. And regardless of the availability of dual-clutch gearboxes, there will always be that group of enthusiasts that want a manual.
There's groups of enthusiasts who still hunt with black powder and musket ***** too. There'll always be a tiny niche of people clinging to the past, and I'm sure some smart business will be happy to continue making a profit on this insignificant market for a long time. But they're get rarer and rarer in common use.

EDIT: And PDK, F1, SMG, and so on aren't automatics. I doubt they'll find their way out of halo cars/specialty manufacturers in the next 25 years due to cost of design, manufacture, and maintenance. Ferrari has had F1 since the 90s......why haven't they phased out their manual transmissions yet? Or Porsche, when they designed Tiptronic in the late 80s. BMW has had SMG and Steptronic since the mid 90s as well, and yet not only do they offer a manual, it's still the cheapest transmission option by a thousand dollars.
Absolutely they are automatics. They will shift without any human intervention. You know, automatically.

Automatic doesn't require a torque converter. Automatics existed before torque converters, and will be around long after too.

As you note the advanced automatic stuff is expensive. But it gets cheaper the more it's in use... 15 years ago it was in Ferraris costing as much as a decent house... now it's available in cars under 50k. Give it 5 more years and it'll be commonly available in cars priced like the 2IS or cheaper. That's how technology tends to work.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-17-09 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 12:53 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

European market is actually a small one in terms of $$$ potential...

USA market was the largest world market for automobiles, which is now being surpassed by Asia (specially China) and the middle east.
Old 10-17-11, 05:31 PM
BluTezza39
Driver School Candidate

sorry to bring up old thread, but i read on edmunds, and other sources, that the GT3 will remain a stick shift, no PDK.
Old 10-17-11, 07:46 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Not worth bringing up this thread for. Not at all.

But, since you did; and this is basically what it all boils down to, and is going to almost always be the answer, no matter what: Lexus doesn't offer a manual transmission on the IS350, because they don't think they'll make money doing so. The IS350 isn't even sold in most markets, and where it is sold, automatics sell better.

Money, money, money. It's usually the answer.

Jeff
Old 10-17-11, 08:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BluTezza39
sorry to bring up old thread, but i read on edmunds, and other sources, that the GT3 will remain a stick shift, no PDK.
Yeah, it's kinda weird given the PDK is so much better at, well, everything... the new standard 911 Carrera S with PDK matched the much more expensive track-designed outgoing GT3 manuals best time at Nurburgring Nordschleife for example...

Comparing apples to apples the PDK in sport mode in the 2012 911 shaves nearly half a second off the 0-60 time compared to the exact same car with a clutch pedal in it.
Old 10-18-11, 07:56 AM
BluTezza39
Driver School Candidate

it because the GT3 is ment for the purist. its not about the mil seconds saved on a lap bc of shift times, the car is ment for a true driver car connection. i have much respect for Porsche for choosing a standard only route for the GT3, fewer and fewer cars are like that now.
Old 10-18-11, 09:46 AM
hydralisk
Driver

This thread is full of old women but the GT3 is for men. Most would not qualify.
Old 10-18-11, 10:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hydralisk
This thread is full of old women but the GT3 is for men. Most would not qualify.
You have to use antique technology that produces measurably inferior results and requires greater effort to be a man?

Doesn't sound like a club I wanna be in...

I wonder if the folks in 1912 who really enjoyed starting their cars with big metal cranks on the front were the same way when electric starters became popular...

REAL men crank their own engines by HAND!

radial tires? bias ply was good enough for my grandfather so it's good enough for me!

headlights? Real men hold flashlights in their mouth while driving!

Naah... to me, real men work smarter, nor harder. Which is what things like the PDK/F1/IS-F transmissions offer... vastly faster shifting than any 3-pedal setup, with total control of what gear you're in, without needing to take a hand off the wheel, and better mileage too.

I guess Formula 1 drivers are old women too... they moved to paddle shifters years ago.
Old 10-18-11, 01:51 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read. Working smarter not hard is the way to go.
Old 10-18-11, 02:42 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

So how good is IS350 at the track? It seems to me that the lack of true 'manual' mode like that of IS-F can be a real drag at the track?

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Lexus offer manual transmission in the IS350?