IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why doesn't Lexus offer manual transmission in the IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 06:49 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you live in a big city, and commute to work daily, you'll hate your manual car. I say this because my friend bought a manual car, and he now hates it. it's a pain in the *** to get stuck in traffic and have to shift up and down consistantly. I felt the same way prior to owning this car, had a manual at first, but just got tired of it.
Old 04-07-09, 01:04 AM
*wishlist*
Driver

i personally havent felt that way when driving the supra in traffic. i enjoy going thru the gears much better than gas-brake-let go brake-brake-gas-brake-repeat, especially in a car that is supposed to feel sporty.

ive had an 09 is250 a/t loaner since saturday and it just feels weird that in such a sporty feeling compact car, i have no clutch pedal. im sure it's been discused to no end since the beginning of the 2is so i wont go on. so now, i am forced to weigh the pros/cons of this car versus its competitors. for the most part, i think i would reeeeeaallly like an is350.
Old 04-07-09, 01:48 AM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

i think lexus/toyota really haveto think about it and make that option for 350s just like for 250s... lots of people say who own 335 , G37 etc...... that they deff think about IS350 if only it was in manual ..couze it is tru manual is fun ....well maybe one day lexus gona comeup wit somethin
Old 04-07-09, 01:48 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

is250 should only be available in auto..the 350 should be both auto and offer a manual PERIOD..also think they should have held special orders on a manual IS-F i mean if you want a BMW M3 you get MANUAL! The IS model is known through lexus as it's sport sedan ( is250/350/F) so luxury is second in this model look at all the turbo 1gen IS's it is a sports car..manual should be available..if they want to be known as a true sport sedan builder they better be studying the 370z/g37/335i transmissions! lol
Old 04-07-09, 04:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

and yet, the IS sells extremely well. Far better than the IS300 did, which offered a manual. The SC300 offered a manual for a while and sold so poorly they discontinued the option.

The clutch pedal is a relic of the past, and fewer and fewer people are buying them as they realize there's no objective reason for a car to have one anymore.

The Nissan GT-R seems to sell fine with only 2 pedals, and it spanks all the "performance" cars you guys have mentioned so far.

As I mentioned, want the fastest porsche? It'll have the PDK transmission, no clutch pedal.

Even for the brands that do still offer manuals, they sell few of them compared to autos.
Old 04-07-09, 08:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,407 Posts

I've been driving manuals since I was 6 years old in the barnyard on a Ford Model 8N. That was 43 years ago. Since then I've owned manuals almost exclusively. The IS350 works fine with an automatic, but does not offer the kind of control a good manual does. The IS-F does offer everything you'd want in a manual without a clutch to burn up or synchros to break. It also never misses a shift. Ever. Try that with your manual.

I still have my Getrag 233 in my Supra for those days when I absolutely need to stir the stick, but it's really clear I'm not nearly as proficient as the TCU in the F. Offering a manual is just catering to the few remaining dinosaurs who haven't joined the 21st century. It's not at all cost effective.

Case in point - Mercedes Benz offers a completely computer controlled transmission and clutch for their medium duty trucks. Clutch service life with these units is six times the normal life for a human controlled clutch. It also never misses a shift, nor does it slip unnecessarily. Sorry, but no human can beat a good TCU these days.
Old 04-07-09, 09:04 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Fo some reason, I don't think of four-door sedans as being manual-transmission material.
Old 04-07-09, 01:43 PM
N0IS
Rookie

i think lexus should offer manual for the 350.

there different between you know how to drive a manual, or you can drive a manual.
if you think auto is better, race my 250 manual with your auto 250 at the track, see who can take the turns faster.
im not talking about the fastest porsche here, im talking about lexus IS.
Old 04-07-09, 02:35 PM
jayz250
Rookie

Originally Posted by N0IS
i think lexus should offer manual for the 350.

there different between you know how to drive a manual, or you can drive a manual.
if you think auto is better, race my 250 manual with your auto 250 at the track, see who can take the turns faster.
im not talking about the fastest porsche here, im talking about lexus IS.
Why are you in such a hurry to take the turns faster?
Old 04-07-09, 02:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredw1
Fo some reason, I don't think of four-door sedans as being manual-transmission material.
Which is why the resale value of the manual sedan is much lower.
Old 04-07-09, 08:00 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brtnrdr1x
is250 should only be available in auto..the 350 should be both auto and offer a manual PERIOD..also think they should have held special orders on a manual IS-F i mean if you want a BMW M3 you get MANUAL! The IS model is known through lexus as it's sport sedan ( is250/350/F) so luxury is second in this model look at all the turbo 1gen IS's it is a sports car..manual should be available..if they want to be known as a true sport sedan builder they better be studying the 370z/g37/335i transmissions! lol
since when did making a sports sedan ever overpower lexus' priority of luxury?
Old 04-07-09, 09:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brtnrdr1x
The IS model is known through lexus as it's sport sedan ( is250/350/F) so luxury is second in this model look at all the turbo 1gen IS's it is a sports car..

Notice how many of those 1st gen ISes came from the factory with a turbo?

If you think Luxury isn't first in the minds of Lexus designers you obviously missed most of the changes they made going to the second generation of the car too.
Old 04-07-09, 09:47 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

The fact remains that, even if luxury were secondary in the design of the IS, the best sports cars in the world no longer feature a clutch pedal.

It's outdated and inefficient. That's why the IS-F doesn't even come with one.
Old 04-07-09, 10:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

There is no reason other than what Lexus has stated itself. COST. As a company, they are in the business to make as much money as possible. The manual would not sell enough to warrant the cost. If money wasn't an issue, they'd offer 50 different colors and both transmissions.
Old 04-12-09, 11:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

a majority of modern cars are only offered in automatic or predominantly sell with automatics. I love manual as well, but we are in the minority.

when you consider the age of the avg lexus driver I think it will be clear why

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Lexus offer manual transmission in the IS350?