IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why doesn't Lexus offer manual transmission in the IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 12:07 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

They should at least put in a dual-clutch gearbox, cuz right now those paddles are just for show.
Old 04-13-09, 11:55 AM
pharrside
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEa I can get an Evo10 that is faster in the quartermile with dual clutch....FAIL toyota
Old 04-13-09, 01:13 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

yeah and why doesn't Lexus offer awd for the is 350 also?
Old 04-13-09, 01:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Moredeeb77
yeah and why doesn't Lexus offer awd for the is 350 also?
Because they already sell a GS350 in AWD

Plus the IS350 was designed as the performance model. AWD makes the car slower, and heavier, which is the opposite of performance.

Almost nobody who thinks they need AWD actually does anyway.
Old 04-13-09, 01:34 PM
pharrside
Driver School Candidate

False AWD does not make the car slower. It makes it heavier but 1) easier/better at launches and 2 handle a lot better

It might have a bit slower 1/4 mile time (debatable) but in every otehr aspect of performance it is better

Also to tie up some loose ends yes they have Auto trannys that shift faster than manual and they have some that get better gas mileage and they have some that out last their manual counter part. However the automatic on the IS350 does none of these things (except for outlast because a manual transmission on a 300hp car does take a beating). In my opinion it is the least responsive than a 3 series Beemer or a G35/37 or even a TL. However it is a 6 speed, which makes up for its sluggish performance. If you all really wanted a performance sedan you should have considered an STI or EVO. If you all want a sexy beast of a sedan that makes the "jones" regular old caddie, lexus, bmw, infinity, ect look like a grandma car, then the IS is that. Plus it is definatley the most cush (well designed interior) car for under/at 40k.

Last edited by pharrside; 04-13-09 at 01:40 PM. Reason: didnt finish
Old 04-13-09, 01:40 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see the benefits in the handling and launching aspects but I always thought AWD get slower in top end than just regular 2WD.
Old 04-13-09, 04:07 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Is-f mt !!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
lexkid23 (11-08-23)
Old 04-13-09, 04:21 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you guys think the 3rd generation IS will come in manual?
Old 04-13-09, 04:58 PM
pharrside
Driver School Candidate

I think Toyota would be really dumb not to update their transmission. I mean they have comealong way in a traditionally dominated by the Germans market, but they still have a very long way to go. It is nice to pull 306 horses out of a 3.5 but if your tranny takes 1-2 sec to shift....well there is a problem. I almost compare it (very loosely) to the TL debaucle. I loved my RSX but when I test drove a 2k8 TL-S and got enough torque steer to pull me into the next lane at the start.....I almost puked. The fact is Toyota needs to fix the "achilles heel" of the IS350 and when they do they definately will have THE entry Lux Sports Sedan. Untill then I will gladly makes Mustang GT owners gasp in disbelief (instead of say 370z owners)

when did the is-f have mt??

Last edited by pharrside; 04-13-09 at 05:02 PM. Reason: new info
Old 04-13-09, 05:50 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pharrside
False AWD does not make the car slower. It makes it heavier but 1) easier/better at launches and 2 handle a lot better

It might have a bit slower 1/4 mile time (debatable) but in every otehr aspect of performance it is better

Give me an AWD Audi and a RWD BMW, and I guarantee you the BMW will rip the Audi apart on a track.

The absolute best handling configuration is mid-engine / RWD, with front engine / RWD being 2nd.

And unless you're launching a 1000HP car in the snow, AWD will not beat a skilled driver in a RWD.
Old 04-13-09, 06:49 PM
pharrside
Driver School Candidate

well first of all yes power does come into play as in how much power you are putting at the wheels. This is why mid engine RWD is popular in most cars over 350 horses. The only evidence is I can provide (to debate your OPINION) is the SCAA touring. all cars are restricted to sub 3.0 liters and have between 240-280 horses. Over the past few years guess who has come out ahead in wins?? Audi with its....you guessed it AWD. Now I must note that in this range and in these races FWD tend to come out ahead but for the most part RWD is last. Irreguardless another point of intrest is the infamous Evo and STI. These cars fit into this range (roughly) and out perform cars that are outside of this range. How many cars that are RWD can do that?
Old 04-13-09, 07:10 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Because they already sell a GS350 in AWD

Plus the IS350 was designed as the performance model. AWD makes the car slower, and heavier, which is the opposite of performance.

Almost nobody who thinks they need AWD actually does anyway.
Tell that to Audi and Subaru , 2 manufacturers combined have won more races in the past 10 years then any other manufacturer...
Old 04-13-09, 07:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,407 Posts

^^and this has nothing to do with manual transmissions. Please stay on topic.
Old 04-13-09, 08:42 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pharrside
well first of all yes power does come into play as in how much power you are putting at the wheels. This is why mid engine RWD is popular in most cars over 350 horses. The only evidence is I can provide (to debate your OPINION) is the SCAA touring. all cars are restricted to sub 3.0 liters and have between 240-280 horses. Over the past few years guess who has come out ahead in wins?? Audi with its....you guessed it AWD. Now I must note that in this range and in these races FWD tend to come out ahead but for the most part RWD is last. Irreguardless another point of intrest is the infamous Evo and STI. These cars fit into this range (roughly) and out perform cars that are outside of this range. How many cars that are RWD can do that?

I refuse to debate anything with someone who uses the non-word "irregardless", and can't even spell it.
Old 04-14-09, 04:28 AM
pharrside
Driver School Candidate

MY bad I am a horrible speller and even worse at spelling while I am typing.

But just FYI here is the definition from dictionary.com

Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis.

I was definately EMPHASIZING the fact that the EVO and STI blow some Porsches Audis (do you put an es on a proper noun?) Vettes ect out of the water. This is def not because they have a OP 2.0 liter engine!!!

Edit: Also go to UT and tell my Eng/Comp professor that Irregardless is not a word. It is a fun little debate.

Last edited by pharrside; 04-14-09 at 04:31 AM. Reason: add more

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Lexus offer manual transmission in the IS350?