IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adaptive Headlights, Passenger side moves less than driver side

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 05:54 PM
jniedens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlights, Passenger side moves less than driver side

Does anyone else have this issue? I notice the drivers side headlight moves drastically in comparison to the the passenger side headlight. Taking turns in both directions, I notice both of them are moving... but the passenger side light turns around 5 degrees, where the drivers side moves 10 to 15 degrees when in a hard turn.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 04-19-09, 06:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jniedens
Does anyone else have this issue? I notice the drivers side headlight moves drastically in comparison to the the passenger side headlight. Taking turns in both directions, I notice both of them are moving... but the passenger side light turns around 5 degrees, where the drivers side moves 10 to 15 degrees when in a hard turn.

Regards,
Jeff
That's how it's supposed to work
Old 04-19-09, 07:18 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

yeah because if you turn right the passenger one turns right?? and is less noticable
Old 04-19-09, 07:45 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Operating as designed. It lights up the left more because the A-Pillar obstructs a bit of view whereas the right side you naturally have more visibility through the windshield when cornering to the right.
Old 04-20-09, 06:38 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

From the 09 IS website (a little more detail):
In a left-hand turn, the left headlamp will pivot up to 15 degrees (the right-hand headlamp remains pointed straight ahead) and in a right-hand turn, the right headlamp will pivot up to 5 degrees (the left-hand headlamp remains pointed straight ahead).
Old 04-20-09, 07:13 AM
Dj Mic
Driver School Candidate

So i have an 06' but i dont ever notice my headlights moving when i turn, but when i first turn on my car they do move but nothing after that. I posted something about figuring out if my car had HIDs, and someone said if my headlights move when i start the car then i have them, so how come i dont ever notice them moving when i turn or maybe im just not paying enought attention. ???
Old 04-20-09, 07:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj Mic
So i have an 06' but i dont ever notice my headlights moving when i turn, but when i first turn on my car they do move but nothing after that. I posted something about figuring out if my car had HIDs, and someone said if my headlights move when i start the car then i have them, so how come i dont ever notice them moving when i turn or maybe im just not paying enought attention. ???
Checking if the car has AFS (use the little ****/button thingy next to the steering wheel to check) is a whole lot easier way to see if you have factory HIDs than trying to figure out when your headlights move.
Old 04-20-09, 08:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll bet you don't have them. '06s were more likely not to have them. If you do have them and the lights don't turn, you'd have the 'AFS OFF' warning indicated.

Like Kurtz said, if you cycle through the menu button which looks crudely like this: [<O>] to the left of the steering column, one of the options will be AFS On/Off if you have HID and AFS.
Old 04-21-09, 05:49 AM
Dj Mic
Driver School Candidate

So i checked out the button and it def has an option for AFS on/off, i pressed it to off and the warning light came on just to make sure. So am i missing something when i dont see my headlights turning or do the 06's not turn for some reason??
Old 04-21-09, 06:21 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

So i checked out the button and it def has an option for AFS on/off, i pressed it to off and the warning light came on just to make sure. So am i missing something when i dont see my headlights turning or do the 06's not turn for some reason??
You just said it has the AFS on/off option, so your car has it. Generally the car has to be going at least 6-8 mph for it to work. You can't see it while parked and turning the steering wheel left/right. Go out at night on a dark curvy road.....you'll definitely notice it turning more in the left hand curves versus the right hand curves. If you still don't see it, then stop off at the dealer. I would think the AFS malfunction light would be on though if there were a problem with the AFS system.
Old 04-21-09, 07:34 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easiest to watch the center light cutouts when you drive to see them move. look directly down the center line of the car at night... its pretty cool actually.
Old 04-21-09, 04:19 PM
SPS
Rookie

Yes, I had pretty much convinced myself that my headlights don't move. But after reading this thread, I have to figure that they do move.
Old 04-22-09, 04:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They pivot more when you turn left. Maybe something's wrong, because I see it all the time, even when the streets are well lit with street lights.
Old 04-22-09, 04:41 AM
jniedens
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
From the 09 IS website (a little more detail):
In a left-hand turn, the left headlamp will pivot up to 15 degrees (the right-hand headlamp remains pointed straight ahead) and in a right-hand turn, the right headlamp will pivot up to 5 degrees (the left-hand headlamp remains pointed straight ahead).
Those are the exact amounts that I originally thought the headlights were moving... guess my eyes have been calibrated and are Lexus certified.