IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sway bar today, tires next week.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 08:12 PM
termigator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar today, tires next week.

Hello all:

I don't post much here since I haven't done much upgrading to my 350, but I thought I would share my experience with the new F-Sport rear sway bar. I got the bar off EBay last week and installed it today. I had my cousin over to help me, but it was easy enough that I didn't really need him, but extra hands are always helpful.

Taking out the old sway bar and putting in the new one probably took less than 30 minutes, since I've done sway bars before (00' Accord, 02' TL-S & 07' Accord). I guess it's an industry standard for the bolts holding the ends of the sway bar to have the hex wrench insert at the end to keep the bolt from spinning while taking the nut off.

We test drove the car after the install I could actually feel the difference immediately on sharp turns. Before, the tail would always wiggle on sharp turns, but this time it did no such thing until I pushed into a corner really sharply. The bar has made a huge improvement on the ride for me, more so than on the other aforementioned modified vehicles.

Next week, I'll be ordering new tires, HTRZ III's, from TireRack. I am extremely hopeful that I will experience monumentally better performance, as my stock Turanza's are by far the worst stock performance tires I have ever come across. How it actually carries a "Y" rating is far beyond my comprehension or belief.
Old 04-20-09, 10:09 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice..but MOD will move your thread to Suspension shortly
Old 04-20-09, 11:41 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope my IS-F sway bar does the trick! I agree the stock Turanzas are beyond terrible. Going to replace them with Nitto INVO's.
Old 04-20-09, 11:44 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my rear sway bar. its another car. to me the body roll was the main enemy of the IS350 with its heavy 3.5L engine. now it feels like aa lighter car and much less understeer.
good review thanks
Old 04-21-09, 12:12 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm... my car came stock with POTENZA RE050. How many different tires does lexus use for this car?!?! (I know they use 3 at least).
Old 04-21-09, 12:29 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car came with the turanzas also. sway bars should be the first thing anyone does to the suspension for this car, even before coilovers/springs/ shocks, etc.
Old 04-21-09, 12:48 AM
Weezy$Baby
Driver

Originally Posted by juice14
I love my rear sway bar. its another car. to me the body roll was the main enemy of the IS350 with its heavy 3.5L engine. now it feels like aa lighter car and much less understeer.
good review thanks
i like your car selection. I think you gotta let the pos is250 go and get the isf. Looks like you have the money anyways

Old 04-21-09, 08:09 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Sway bars for our IS's are the best investments I know I have made. Just becareful with the sharp turns.. lolz
Old 04-21-09, 11:39 AM
termigator
Rookie

I was pretty skeptical about the sway bar making an improvement because of my past experience with replacing them. The sway bars made very little difference in the handling for my Honda's. I'm glad I stuck with it with the 350 though, because I can actually feel a big difference. Before, the suspension always felt overpowered by the engine. It's not as bad anymore, although I would still like to see more improvement. I think the Sumitomos will do the trick. Of course, after learning about the Turanzas on this forum and from my own experiences, I am confident that ANYtires will be an improvement over the them.
Old 04-21-09, 11:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, it was a honda, what'd you expect? :P

On every RWD car I've owned though (which has been nearly every car I've ever owned) the absolute best improvement to handling has always been aftermarket swaybars... and my IS350 is no exception.

Tires'd certainly be the other thing I'd look to, especially since you get the triple bonus of improving performance, handling, AND braking.
Old 04-21-09, 12:53 PM
termigator
Rookie

[QUOTE=Kurtz;4456045]Well, it was a honda, what'd you expect? :P

I love the way Hondas handle. Taut suspension and great steering feedback. I'm going to make it my goal to make my 350's handling feel as tight and secure as my 96' Prelude VTEC, but with the extra power!
Old 04-21-09, 12:57 PM
termigator
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phil888
Sway bars for our IS's are the best investments I know I have made. Just becareful with the sharp turns.. lolz
Yeah, I was a little overzealous on one turn and it fishtailed wildly before the computer took over and dialed back the power.
Old 04-21-09, 02:15 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

lolz this guy!!! its cool as long as you learned and know your own car.. lolz
Old 04-21-09, 02:51 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

I miss my 93 Honda Prelude VTEC! Yeah.. that car handled much better than my IS350.. maybe I'm gonna go get sway bars too. Did you replace the front + rear, or just the rears? I know the F-Sport front sway bars aren't much bigger than the stock front, but I'm OCD and must have the complete set.
Old 04-21-09, 03:26 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah brothers 01 prelude lowered on tein SS. the handling is superp. the ISx50 handling is crap.. soo much damn body roll. and hell yeah those turanzas suck ***. i always fishtail with these tires.. mich ps2's were the best when i had them on my car!

Quick Reply: Sway bar today, tires next week.