IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Foul smell in AC vents. Should I have the dealership replace the AC Condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 09:54 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Foul smell in AC vents. Should I have the dealership replace the AC Condenser?

So I've been having a foul musky smell coming from my AC for the longest time. It's strongest when you first turn on the AC. The smell lingers when you turn off the AC and have fresh air coming in.

I had the dealership look at it a few months ago and they found mold growth all around the AC condenser. For a quick fix they sprayed some mold inhibitor on it which made my car have a pungent cinnamon smell. The inhibitor wore off after a few weeks and now my AC system smells funky again.

What are my chances of having them replace the entire AC Condenser? My warranty will expire soon and I want a permanent solution.
Old 04-21-09, 10:06 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your A/C condenser is not the problem...in the blower box is your A/C evaporator which accumulates all the moisture. The condenser is in front of your radiator which cools the refrigerant changing it from liquid to gas. Sometimes the condensation will not drain out leaving some moisture in the blower area..which is under your dash. There is a way to sanitize the system and eliminate the mold. The dealer just sprayed some scent in your vents to pacify you. They will not replace your evaporator because there is nothing wrong with it. PM me and I can help you fix that moisture issue with a real cleaner that flushes the evaporator and clean it.
I have a shop in the bay area so I'm local...NorCal 2IS !!!!!
Old 04-21-09, 10:08 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can be helpful to many others and just post what to do
Old 04-21-09, 10:30 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

^^^ha ha..you Florida guys must have it bad...
Step 1 buy this at your local O'Reillys / Kreagan auto parts.

Step Two: Turn your steering wheel all the way to your left so your passenger side tire is to the left. Locate facing inside the fender well toward the bottom of the inside fender a drain hose about 1/4 inch in diameter 1 1/2 inch in length. This hose will be more close by the door side area of the fender and not toward the front section.
Step three:
insert tube and empty all contents of the bottle till it runs out. remove the tube and let it drain out. Don't have to wait too long about half an hour or so.
Step Four: Enjoy no order....

Last edited by jns350; 04-21-09 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 05:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jns350

Step Two: Turn your steering wheel all the way to your left so your passenger side tire is to the left. Locate facing inside the fender well toward the bottom of the inside fender a drain hose about 1/4 inch in diameter 1 1/2 inch in length. This hose will be more close by the door side area of the fender and not toward the front section.
Step three:
insert tube and empty all contents of the bottle till it runs out. remove the tube and let it drain out. Don't have to wait too long about half an hour or so.
This might work for other Lexus models, but the GS, and IS, both, don't use a drain hose. They use a "flapper" drain with no hose attached. It's located just above the transmission in the floor. I'm sure your system would still work but don't look for a drain hose because there isn't one.
Here's a PDF TSB of what it looks like.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-AC003-07.pdf (160.9 KB, 1258 views)
Old 04-22-09, 06:02 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

great info!
Old 04-22-09, 07:53 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

I reasonly had this smelly problem cause i've been using my AC a lot cause its so freaking hot in Cali rite now. I was advice by the dealership to keep the vent on/open at all time even tho the AC isnt on. And guess what, IT WORKS!! The wet smell went away
Old 04-22-09, 01:11 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jns350

Step three:
Have you done this yet? Cause my AC smells like nasty dirty socks!
Old 04-22-09, 01:29 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool...if it happens to my AC...
Old 04-22-09, 02:00 PM
Jenomic
Driver

anyone given this stuff a try on their 2IS?

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...PROD&ProdID=41
Old 04-22-09, 02:24 PM
SPS
Rookie

I have used a similar odor eliminator. It works. It appears to be basically alcohol, with a scent mixed in to make it smell pleasant. And I do have a drain hose coming from my passenger front wheel-well. That TSB posted by IS350jet is very interesting. Can you elaborate on the location of this drain, please ? I can't find it. Has anybody out there had the smell issue resolved by having this service done ? I would like to get to the root problem. Spraying stuff into your HVAC every year or so is a band-aid, not a solution.
Old 04-22-09, 05:08 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem in my other car, a volvo, and the tech basically said most new cars are like this but you have to just have to leave the auto climate control ON all the time. Just because the AC is switched on doesn't mean the AC is always on and that once you do this the system has a built in dehumidifying action. Once you manually switch the AC on and off is when these odors happen. I still manually do the AC thing and I still have the smell.. oh well whatever.
Old 04-22-09, 05:09 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I have a musky smell at start up too.. my a/c is always on, but it goes away after a while. Do you think it is the same issue?
Old 04-22-09, 05:11 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

I've also started getting that funky smell recently and I always leave it on the fresh air option
Old 04-22-09, 05:38 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

I had the same problem with my AC and when I went to the dealership about it last year they said that changing the air cabin filter would probably solve it... I wasn't so sure about that but I changed my own air filter and sprayed the filter and the area around it with some Febreeze... then also turned on the AC system and sprayed some Febreeze right into the ventilation intake that's right at the base of your windshield, they helped for a while but the smell always comes back. I too usually run with the AC off and only turn it on when needed and I think that's usually the reason this happens. In some really old threads if you do a search, people discussed this and yeah it's the mold/mildew that develops when you let condensation gather inside.

Some other solutions that were previously posted. 1) run the heater really hot for a few minutes, that tends to kill the bacteria and the smell. I found this worked but it's not fun to drive around on a hot day with super hot air on, even with the windows down. 2) One member said what he always did was turn off AC a few minutes before the end of his trip, to allow the moisture to dry up instead of keeping it running up to the point you shut off the car, that is when the moisture gets trapped and starts getting all funky... yeah neither solution is very good but they did work to a certain point... and they're free.

Quick Reply: Foul smell in AC vents. Should I have the dealership replace the AC Condenser?