IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Sudden Acceleration effects IS250

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
After driving pretty much every Lexus built and other multiple cars the only time I thought there was "unintended acceleration" was when it was DRIVER error.
1. Floor mat
2. Something fell on the floor
3. I had on sandals or a loose shoe
4. The hooker didn't know when to stop
Don't forget
5. Senile citizen confused gas pedal with brake pedal.
Old 04-22-09, 05:03 PM
SPS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a fight between an engine and the brakes, the brakes always win ( easily ).
When they say they were pressing on the brake as hard as they can, but the car was still accelerating, that means they actually had their foot on the gas pedal.
Old 04-22-09, 05:27 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexasaurus
I agree with you, but the chances are sooo unlikely that no one needs to worry about it at all. This is a joke, in this thread, several people already killed his credibility. There is one post for the ISX50, and the rest of them are for ES300's and ES350's. I don't believe this one bit.
HAHA very true, I dont believe him, I just want to tell my story. It was a scary moment when my aunt called me and told me what had happen.. I kind of laugh but still felt awful tho
Old 04-22-09, 07:03 PM
Doco21
Rookie

Originally Posted by SPS
When they say they were pressing on the brake as hard as they can, but the car was still accelerating, that means they actually had their foot on the gas pedal.
So you're saying then, that when they pressed on the emergency brakes, it was the real brakes. OMG, those two are Dee-Dee and Dee-Dum...
Old 04-23-09, 05:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SPS
Exactly.
Old 04-23-09, 07:26 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

^^ Yep! rather than own up to it, they blame the car. Notice how every story ends the same. "No problem found"
Old 04-23-09, 09:01 AM
curtdragon
Driver School Candidate

Its weird that all these incidents and no one got hurt
Old 04-23-09, 09:17 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YellowCopy
I guess whats funny is that nobody in all those stories had the bright idea to put the car in neutral.
Exactly what i had thought when i was reading their reviews.
Old 04-23-09, 09:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AK-47
Can't you push the start button and stop the cars?
From what I've read you -can- do this, but not (at speed) with a momentary push... you have to hold it down for 5 or 10 seconds, and then the engine will shut off.

Like putting it in neutral the fact nobody tried it makes the story even harder to buy (in addition the the whole drive-by-wire-can't-yank-your-pedal thing)
Old 05-04-09, 06:19 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

They had a lot of claims of this back in the 90's against the 4-runner I believe, I can't believe a cable operated throttle would have this problem. I easily belive that a floormat got stuck on the throttle, or a wide wide shoe got stuck under the gas pedal and brake at same time. I imagine that the drive by wire, if the pot sensor gives an error signal the ECU gives 0% throttle, which is the only way I could see the accelerator being jammed.

There is just no way that jamming on the brake wouldn't stop the car. I've seen people who are not very good drivers panic and do crazy things behind the wheel of a car, these sound like coverups to get out of accidents they created themselves.

I.e. nobody is around, I ran into a van because I was on my cell phone, BAM I read somewhere about malfunction in the car on the internet, so I blame that to try and get out of liability for insurance.
Old 05-04-09, 07:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

So let's throw in the last piece of the puzzle. There's a device in the SRS ECU recording EVERYTHING related to the engine and brakes for at least two minutes prior to shutting off the car (or impacting something causing the SRS to deploy). This datalogger would contain all the necessary information to determine exactly what happened in the case of sudden acceleration, especially if it resulted in an accident. Guess what? NO EVENTS showed a mechanical or electronic failure. Doesn't it seem odd to everyone else that every single one of these unintended acceleration events was a near miss, but none seem to have resulted in accidents?

Sounds like idiots behind the wheel. Besides, brakes are more powerful, neutral is a tiny push away, and you can indeed press and hold the start button while at freeway speeds and eventually the engine will shut off. Panic + idiot + pressing the wrong pedal = unintended acceleration.
Old 05-05-09, 10:29 AM
LexHes
Driver

thats prettty scary...
Old 05-05-09, 11:16 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

this is scary. got me worried. i always pray for a safe ride anywhere i go! hollafront
Old 05-07-09, 06:53 PM
dong888
Pole Position

My previous 2000 TL had sudden acceleration a few times but not like that dramatic. The car was initially in park, when I shift to drive and let go off the brake pedal (without stepping on gas pedal), the car accelerated quickly foward. It was in a parking lot but I stepped on the brake quickly and was able to avoid hitting other cars. Sold the TL in 06 and bought the is350 SMG. Too bad I totalled the 06 is350SMG in 2008 but I bought an 07 is350 GFM a couple of month ago. I actually made $8K+tax from the insurance on the difference in price due to economic recession. (Insurance paid me $39K + tax - deductible and I paid $30K + tax). The 2 cars are almost identical.
Old 08-11-19, 02:13 PM
saelder186
Driver School Candidate

Default Accelerator overriding brakes

I have seen a lot of post on this issue, but I haven't seen anyone identifying the problem we had.

My wife just ran into our garage in her 2012 Lexus IS 250. She swore she was stepping on the brake and when it started to accelerate. She panicked and pushed down harder which exasperated the problem and she ran into the garage wall.
When I checked it out, it was clear what happened. If your foot is not fully on the brake and you push down, the outside of your foot can catch the accelerator and pushes down at the same time as the brake. The harder you push down on the brake, the more you are also pushing on the accelerator. It is pretty easy to happen because the cars are so small and your foot can easily be angled a little to the side (which makes it wider).
I have heard that the brake will override the accelerator, but it doesn't work like that if your foot pressure goes to the outside of your foot (i.e., more pressure on the accelerator). It continues to accelerate and leap forward.

PS. This had happened to me with her car about a month earlier but I thought I wasn't paying enough attention. I was wearing TEVA sandals and the extra 1/2 inch sticking out must have been enough to catch the accelerator. After she ran into the garage, I recreated the problem and it was pretty obvious what happened.