IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Most milage without tranny service. Any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 12:56 AM
A/C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most milage without tranny service. Any problems?

A question to people with a lot of miles on their 2IS.
Changing oil in tranny was discussed before, I don't want to break into this sealed unit since the manual says no tranny service provided.

How many miles did your transmission eat without any service and how does it feel? Any problems?
Old 04-23-09, 03:57 AM
Weezy$Baby
Driver

50k still a lexus
Old 04-23-09, 06:17 AM
airwrench
Rookie

From what I see with other cars, most don't get their transmission serviced at all, and alot last well over 100k.

I have a Mercedes and it requires 1 service at 40k, basically an inspection (filter and 3 qts fluid replaced) while the unit is still under factory warranty.
Old 04-23-09, 01:12 PM
A/C
Driver

Originally Posted by airwrench
From what I see with other cars, most don't get their transmission serviced at all, and alot last well over 100k.

I have a Mercedes and it requires 1 service at 40k, basically an inspection (filter and 3 qts fluid replaced) while the unit is still under factory warranty.
My question derives from an old and moldy discussion about "to change or not to change" tranny oil. In my old Volvo tranny oil change was provided by the service schedule and so I did it. Some 2IS owners do it despite of the fact that manual provides no tranny oil change. Heck, even some dealers here in Russia do it and say its actually required (I didn't hold the candle while they did so, maybe its a fraud to steal some extra money off customers and they just changed 20% of total value).

I really don't want to do it since manual doesn't provide it but since I like to drive intensely I wonder whats our tranny's maximum term of life without oil change
Old 04-23-09, 01:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A/C
My question derives from an old and moldy discussion about "to change or not to change" tranny oil. In my old Volvo tranny oil change was provided by the service schedule and so I did it. Some 2IS owners do it despite of the fact that manual provides no tranny oil change. Heck, even some dealers here in Russia do it and say its actually required (I didn't hold the candle while they did so, maybe its a fraud to steal some extra money off customers and they just changed 20% of total value).

I really don't want to do it since manual doesn't provide it but since I like to drive intensely I wonder whats our tranny's maximum term of life without oil change

It's physically impossible to change the fluid on the automatic transmission on the 2IS.

Don't be fooled by the plug at the bottom, even removing the pan entirely only gets _less_ than 20% of the fluid out.
Old 04-23-09, 01:33 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've seen older Toyota vehicles with sealed trans (using the WS fluid) that were used as tow vehicles with well over 100K miles and no issues at all.

Koz
Old 04-23-09, 06:31 PM
airwrench
Rookie

Originally Posted by A/C

The reason for a 'lifetime' fill isnt all in the improved fluids, its that newer generation transmissions are built with larger passages for the oil, to allow for some build up of clutch material and various metal particles without affecting flow.

They have been debating this in the Mercedes forums for well over 2 years now lol.
Old 04-24-09, 12:21 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

i have 60,125 miles and its running great. no issues my dealer told me that i dont need to change it, so i wont till they say different.
Old 04-24-09, 04:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
i have 60,125 miles and its running great. no issues my dealer told me that i dont need to change it, so i wont till they say different.
Again- you can't change it even if it you want to.