IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I had an intersting drive home...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 02:06 AM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had an intersting drive home...

So I was driving home after a few of my friends and I went bowling. I was heading down the 101S then to the 60E. Inbetween Montery Park and the 605(near Rosemead), I was just driving when a white BMW 328i with exhaust, CF front lip, I think that's it, passed me and started race. I'm not much of a street racer, unless if its between me and my friends. but to my surprise, I can keep up!! then around Hacienda Blvd, we passed a black GTI stock. And he started to race with us. I realized, rolling from around 75-80, I fall behind, but I still can keep up!! A few exits before the my exit, the BMW dissapears, and right before my exit, the passenger in the GTI waves his phone at me. (What does that mean?)

To my suprise, the is250 can keep up fairly with a modded 328i and stock GTI. Keep in mind, I have Injen SRI, Tanabe exhaust, CF ings+1 trunk spoiler, Lexon roof spoiler, (the last two mods dont really do much for areodynamics ).
But I realized racing isn't all about who has a fast car or not. it also matters on how much more guts you have. After keeping up, I pushed a little more and got the lead as the others started to slow down for traffic.

anyways, just wanted to share my drive home tonight and to tell other 250 owners, not to worry about the low HP. you can still be able to keep up with other cars.
Old 04-25-09, 02:15 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol....interesting night eh?? Btw, help take out my emblems if you have time! hahaha...
Old 04-25-09, 02:33 AM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radicalrev
lol....interesting night eh?? Btw, help take out my emblems if you have time! hahaha...
HAHAHA
just thout it cool that i can actually keep up

fasho. you gonna paint them??
Old 04-25-09, 02:43 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha..kinna...i'll call you sometime this week
Old 04-25-09, 04:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

obStreetracingisstupidanddangerous

Anyway, that out of the way, prior to the 335i (and M models) BMW 3 series cars were pretty slow, so I'm not surprised the 250 can keep up with one.

VW I've -yet- to see make a fast car :P
Old 04-25-09, 05:56 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KrapWerdna
But I realized racing isn't all about who has a fast car or not. it also matters on how much more guts you have. After keeping up, I pushed a little more and got the lead as the others started to slow down for traffic.
Street racing is dumb to begin with, but if you go in with the attitude that it's all about 'guts' you are headed for trouble. Take it to the track if you want to play around with other cars.
Old 04-25-09, 08:55 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

fyi, that section of the 60 - from seventh to the 57 - is considered a construction zone, which means your fines are automatically doubled...
Old 04-25-09, 09:00 AM
four o two
Intermediate

WTF is this "guts" talk? Real racing is done at the track, 1/4 mile. Whoever trees, gets the hook, and drives their car is the winner. Not the person who takes the biggest risks on the street.
Old 04-25-09, 09:12 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've raced my uncles 07' 328i out in OC, from 80-100 we were neck to neck and after 100 I started to pull and by 120 I was a good distance ahead of him.

On another note I've seen a white 328i debadged and slightly modded out where I stay at, I was getting on the fwy to go to LA and saw it on the onramp, he floored it so I can hear his loud modded exhaust, the color of the exhaust was gold and had a wide flat tip. Well we get on the fwy and I get the jump on him still in 3rd gear then 4th and leave it there and he didn't catch up, but he wasn't all that far behind either. Must have really confused him when he heard my F-Sport intake at WOT
Old 04-25-09, 10:10 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra
I've raced my uncles 07' 328i out in OC, from 80-100 we were neck to neck and after 100 I started to pull and by 120 I was a good distance ahead of him.

On another note I've seen a white 328i debadged and slightly modded out where I stay at, I was getting on the fwy to go to LA and saw it on the onramp, he floored it so I can hear his loud modded exhaust, the color of the exhaust was gold and had a wide flat tip. Well we get on the fwy and I get the jump on him still in 3rd gear then 4th and leave it there and he didn't catch up, but he wasn't all that far behind either. Must have really confused him when he heard my F-Sport intake at WOT
How do you know it is not a 325i?
Old 04-25-09, 10:14 AM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Thanks for sharing your story.......but street racing is not exactly something to be proud of!!
Old 04-25-09, 10:21 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KrapWerdna
So I was driving home after a few of my friends and I went bowling. I was heading down the 101S then to the 60E. Inbetween Montery Park and the 605(near Rosemead), I was just driving when a white BMW 328i with exhaust, CF front lip, I think that's it, passed me and started race. I'm not much of a street racer, unless if its between me and my friends. but to my surprise, I can keep up!! then around Hacienda Blvd, we passed a black GTI stock. And he started to race with us. I realized, rolling from around 75-80, I fall behind, but I still can keep up!! A few exits before the my exit, the BMW dissapears, and right before my exit, the passenger in the GTI waves his phone at me. (What does that mean?)

To my suprise, the is250 can keep up fairly with a modded 328i and stock GTI. Keep in mind, I have Injen SRI, Tanabe exhaust, CF ings+1 trunk spoiler, Lexon roof spoiler, (the last two mods dont really do much for areodynamics ).

anyways, just wanted to share my drive home tonight and to tell other 250 owners, not to worry about the low HP. you can still be able to keep up with other cars.

is250 couldn't keep up with a 2 legged horse...gti must of had a boost leak or one hell of a sad driver, trust me on this..if my modded 06 rsx-s was walking STIs and Evos off a roll, smoking gtis, theres no way an is250 has a chance vs gti cuz the type-s is alot quicker then an is250. now you do the math
Old 04-25-09, 10:28 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
How do you know it is not a 325i?
Because if I was able to walk my uncles 328i, if I got a jump on that white 328i there's no chance he'd get ahead of me. Simple as that, an exhaust is only an exhaust. I've raced a Scion tC with the TRD supercharger and I can tell you that he didn't pull away from me but I couldn't get ahead of him at all the whole time, I was three cars distance from him the whole time. I believe the tC's supercharger at it's base is a bit faster than a 328i. Just a thought

Now on a side note, coming home last night from the Friday Night meet, I saw one of my friends that lives a few houses down in his Z28, man that car is fast! I was going 110 and he was at par with me cruzing then he downshifted and just walked me x10 lol
Old 04-25-09, 10:57 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Keep on truckin. That way when the guy in the 328 pulls up next to me, I can smoke him.
Old 04-25-09, 11:10 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Because if I was able to walk my uncles 328i, if I got a jump on that white 328i there's no chance he'd get ahead of me. Simple as that, an exhaust is only an exhaust. I've raced a Scion tC with the TRD supercharger and I can tell you that he didn't pull away from me but I couldn't get ahead of him at all the whole time, I was three cars distance from him the whole time. I believe the tC's supercharger at it's base is a bit faster than a 328i. Just a thought

Now on a side note, coming home last night from the Friday Night meet, I saw one of my friends that lives a few houses down in his Z28, man that car is fast! I was going 110 and he was at par with me cruzing then he downshifted and just walked me x10 lol
You stories don't add up.

First, there is no way you can dust 328i simply with just a intake and exhaust. 328i run 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. 1/4 at 14.6. Most likely you have been racing 325i. Since they are practically just as fast as the is250. The 325i does 0-60 in 7.5 exactly the same as the is250.

A boosted TC only runs 14.3. Similiar to the 328i.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Scion-tC-Timeslip-8440.html

Quick Reply: I had an intersting drive home...