IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My 2IS is in the shop ... got an '03 ES as a loaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 11:54 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2IS is in the shop ... got an '03 ES as a loaner

I dropped off my IS350 at the local Lexus dealership on Friday morning for some warranty repairs and the 3 service campaigns. They said it would take several days so they sent me on my way with a loaner car ... they gave me a 2003 ES330, wait it gets better, it came in white with chrome wheels and gold badging. Talk about NOT my style... I feel like an old man driving in it, this car seems to be perfect for someone 60 or 70 years old. Which is to say my dad would probably love it. Not me. It's like driving a boat, instead of reacting to my inputs like a well-tuned road-carving instrument, it kind of takes them as suggestions and grudgingly moves in the general direction you want. The power steering is super boosted and has no feedback at all. The brake pedal mushes like you're stepping on tofu. The power coming out of corners is... almost nonexistent. It can barely move out of its own way. Is this what most consumers find comforting or normal?

There are a few interesting perks in this car though. It's kind of fun switching the shock absorbers back and forth between Sport and Comfort while driving over a bridge... I doubt it helps the handling much but you can definitely feel a difference in the ride. The other thing is, I now kind of understand why others drive so badly in this car. With such sensory deprivation from the realities of the road, how can you avoid it? It forces me to do the same things they do ... drive slowly (to avoid upcoming hazards, as the time-to-react to everything becomes painfully higher with the weak responsiveness), constantly tap the brakes (because the pedal gives you no resistance or reassurance whatsoever), and I even have to back up and readjust the steering angle when turning into a parking spot (because it has the turning radius of a 747). I didn't even feel bad when I had to cut off someone to change lanes, the person behind me probably said, whatever, this guy can't help it, he's probably 70 years old and has the mental acuity of a chimpanzee. I've heard people say, it's not the car, it's the driver. Well I'm telling you right now, the car makes a helluva difference.

I can't wait to get my IS350 back.
Old 04-25-09, 11:58 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

oh, and here's a pic of it since we're all so visually oriented these days.
sorry for the woeful cell phone snap.

Old 04-25-09, 12:04 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

seriously? 03 ES?...here in TX most dealerships give out 08+ ES,IS, and RX.
Old 04-25-09, 12:27 PM
j_spec
Driver

dood, they gave me a brand spanking new 09 white IS250. and i didn't even buy my car from the dealer.. hehe
Old 04-25-09, 12:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

for gold emblems..
Old 04-25-09, 12:48 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Either way it beats walking so don't complain
Old 04-25-09, 12:53 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks, i got a 08 RX350 as a loaner =]
Old 04-25-09, 12:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

LOL @ the whole thing. I didn't even think they made gold packages anymore. Also can't believe it's not butter.
But strange a dealer would hold onto a loaner for so long. El Cheapo! P.S. There is NO excuse for bad driving (or cutting people off).
Old 04-25-09, 01:09 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn radius of a 747...hahaha hooray for FWD limitations on that one..which dealership was this?
Old 04-25-09, 01:50 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

I think they took a car off their certified pre-owned roster and made it into a loaner... it's got a CPO sticker on the door jamb. I don't want to bad-mouth the dealer too much while they still have my car... but you can see which dealer if you look at the plate.

And really it's nice enough that they gave me a Lexus loaner to drive regardless of what year, so I can't complain about that, my beef is just with the way the ES drives. I guess I'm too used to sharp-handling cars. But last time they gave me an '07 Camry and it was not nearly as mind-numbing.
Old 04-25-09, 03:38 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Last time I had a loaner, I was given an '08 White with chrome ES350. That car has a lot of room....hahaha I packed 4 people in there from work to go out to lunch.

Last edited by Little E; 04-26-09 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 04:17 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Hilarious original post, one of the best I've read here. True observations from someone who was baptized by a cauldron of warmed fat.
Old 04-25-09, 04:19 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOL @ the whole thing. I didn't even think they made gold packages anymore.
That landau roof, white IS had the gold package too. Imagine, two cars like that in one day!
Old 04-25-09, 07:54 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

to be honest, i drove an es 300 for a lil bit, the same exact car. it's not as bad as you are saying... it's actually very comfortable to drive...
Old 04-25-09, 08:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOL @ the whole thing. I didn't even think they made gold packages anymore. Also can't believe it's not butter.
But strange a dealer would hold onto a loaner for so long. El Cheapo! P.S. There is NO excuse for bad driving (or cutting people off).
Yep, Gold packages still available. There is a Matador Red IS350 in my neigborhood (elderly couple) that has gold emblems and chrome wheels. I think they think it looks cool. Not my taste, but if they like it who cares.

Quick Reply: My 2IS is in the shop ... got an '03 ES as a loaner