Used IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 11:11 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used IS 350

Hey guys,

I am a new member here at CL. This is a nice community and hope I enjoy it here. I am also a member of hidplanet :]. I live in soCAL and have been looking around for an used IS 350. I don't really know anything about lexus and this will be my first lexus. So, what are some things I should look for in particular when getting a used IS. Thanks guys
Old 04-27-09, 11:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

try to look for a relatively low mileage, certified previously owned car if possible. Welcome to lexus man. You will love the reliability, service quality, and the performance of the IS350. The IS350 is faster to 60 mph than the EVO10. The car handles well also and has the Lexus name. You are going to love it
Old 04-27-09, 11:30 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

thanks man, how do I know its a certified owner?
Old 04-27-09, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to clublexus. we have a specific forum for the 2nd generation IS (2is). i am moving this post there where members can better assist you
Old 04-28-09, 12:07 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by alan003
Hey guys,

I am a new member here at CL. This is a nice community and hope I enjoy it here. I am also a member of hidplanet :]. I live in soCAL and have been looking around for an used IS 350. I don't really know anything about lexus and this will be my first lexus. So, what are some things I should look for in particular when getting a used IS. Thanks guys
welcome to clublexus.

when getting a used is350, i'd definitely run a carfax report first. obviously that goes for any used car, but you'd be surprised how many people miss sight of the obvious...

after that, and if possible, get the vin # and take it to your local authorized service center. they should be able to pull up its service record (assuming the is350 was regularly serviced at an authorized service center).

if the used is350 is sold at a lexus dealership, you should have no problem getting that information; i would expect that they would have it ready and waiting for potential buyers.
Old 04-28-09, 12:40 AM
alan003
Lead Lap

thanks for the helpful tips!! hopefully i can meet up with people down in soCAL during some events!! :]
Old 04-28-09, 12:56 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

if you want stock HIDs (the hardcore lighting enthusiasts think the stock HIDs leave much to be desired), look for IS350 with Luxury, Sport, or X-package. The Lux has rear window shade and wood trim, the Sport has non-wood (dark grey) trim and sport pedals and slightly lower front, X-pack has special wheels, and the GFX front air dam but no rear or side sills. If you would rather retrofit a non HID model on your own, or don't care, then look for cars without these packages. If you want Bluetooth function with your phone look for a car with the Navi package.

2006 models (and maybe 2007) are subject to several recalls or special service campaigns they call them, ask the previous owner if those have been done or ask to see the service records. If you care about being able to disable VDIM easily (traction control and other electro nannies) then get 2007 or later.
Old 04-28-09, 06:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PMok
if you want stock HIDs (the hardcore lighting enthusiasts think the stock HIDs leave much to be desired), look for IS350 with Luxury, Sport, or X-package. The Lux has rear window shade and wood trim, the Sport has non-wood (dark grey) trim and sport pedals and slightly lower front, X-pack has special wheels, and the GFX front air dam but no rear or side sills. If you would rather retrofit a non HID model on your own, or don't care, then look for cars without these packages. If you want Bluetooth function with your phone look for a car with the Navi package.

2006 models (and maybe 2007) are subject to several recalls or special service campaigns they call them, ask the previous owner if those have been done or ask to see the service records. If you care about being able to disable VDIM easily (traction control and other electro nannies) then get 2007 or later.

The X package doesn't include HIDs.

HIDs are available as a standalone option anyway on 07+ models.

For a good understanding of how the car is actually optioned I suggest you go here:

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

Personally I'm a big fan of the sport package...
Old 04-28-09, 06:35 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

I've got a hard time finding a 350 nowadays... and maybe you can find a new one at a close price with a used ones.... and maybe you can save
Old 04-28-09, 09:36 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

check the socal section to find out upcoming meets.

as a matter of fact, there'll be one this sunday @ lexus of westminster service dept.

toyotafest (TORC) is weekend after. registration is closed, but you can go and spectate.

or if you want to just chill and hang out w/ other socal lexus owners, there are the friday night meets...
Old 04-28-09, 09:55 AM
PMok
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The X package doesn't include HIDs.

HIDs are available as a standalone option anyway on 07+ models.

For a good understanding of how the car is actually optioned I suggest you go here:

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html

Personally I'm a big fan of the sport package...

my bad, for some reason I thought X-pack did... for some reason I thought it was kind of a "best of" deal from the Sport package. But I got the Sport Package at the time before X-pack was available.
Old 04-28-09, 10:04 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alan003
thanks man, how do I know its a certified owner?
Go to Lexus website or any Lexus dealer website for details of CPO (certified preowned) program.
Old 04-28-09, 11:00 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

If you can also get an independent mechanic to check out the vehicle, that will also help. Carfax omits egregious errors far too often (accidents) because they rely solely on other people to report it to them (which they don't have to).

Oh, and I'm also an HIDplanet member. The 2is does not have the best HID output, but i'm sure you can pull up JVX's thread on projector comparisons!

Best of luck
Old 04-28-09, 12:28 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
toyotafest (TORC) is weekend after. registration is closed, but you can go and spectate.
....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would definitely try to make it out to this event. Here is a flier to help you with info. You can meet a BOAT load of 2is owners at this event.
I wouldn't be surprised after that day you run out and get one
Old 04-28-09, 07:12 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

thanks for all the input guys!!! i was always thinking that carfax is not complete and always wonder how would they able to get all those infos etc...

Quick Reply: Used IS 350