IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav Hack help with vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09 | 12:58 PM
airwrench
Rookie

Default Nav Hack help with vent

Hey, I'm trying to take off the nav head unit, to splice the wires behind it to get it to work while driving... I cant get the vent off (above the nav screen). I pried down the 2 outer clips, but i cant get the inner ones to lock in the down position. any help please

Sounds confusing but if you ever did this mod, I think you'll understand what I'm having trouble with.
Old 04-30-09 | 01:41 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

use tim817's thread for reference. Get a small flathead, there should be 4 clips holding the vent in. Pry them so they are at a down position. then use a plastic pry too and get a hold of one side, and yank out
Old 04-30-09 | 03:16 PM
airwrench
Rookie

I could only get the 2 outer clips to lock down, the others just pop right back up when I let go.

I'll try prying them out with a pick later on in the week.

Another question, if I do this bypass and then install a v8.1 nav disk, will I lose the override?

Last edited by airwrench; 04-30-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-30-09 | 04:06 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

the override is because you tap the wires... so it'll sense as if the car is stopped all the time... so even changing a new version shouldn't change anything
Old 04-30-09 | 05:56 PM
VTLexus
Driver

there are a hundred tips on getting that vent off. once u pry down thsoe 4 little clips, which btw is optional if u wanan be forceful, do this: take a flathead screwdriver, put it exactly in the middle along the top side of the vent. stick it in about 3-4 inches, and pull out/down. the vents will come out.
Old 04-30-09 | 10:30 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

pm me your email address i have a vid of how to remove the vents, but its pretty easy.

just pry down the four clips and pry the vents off. shove a flathead screwdriver along the side of the vents and the dash. dont worry about the dash you wont harm it. pry that side out a little and then hodl it with your fingers and pry the other side off. waalaah you have the vents completely off. dont be scared to use some force, just dont become reckless.
Old 05-01-09 | 06:25 AM
tags26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airwrench
Hey, I'm trying to take off the nav head unit, to splice the wires behind it to get it to work while driving... I cant get the vent off (above the nav screen). I pried down the 2 outer clips, but i cant get the inner ones to lock in the down position. any help please

Sounds confusing but if you ever did this mod, I think you'll understand what I'm having trouble with.
Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that hack doesn't let you use the nav destination functions while driving, but DOES let you use the DVD features in the ML radio.

I read that that hack only disables it temporarily because then when you start moving, the GPS detects your speed and disables it yet again.

Any clarification on this?
Old 05-01-09 | 07:06 AM
tmaung
Driver

Originally Posted by tags26
Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that hack doesn't let you use the nav destination functions while driving, but DOES let you use the DVD features in the ML radio.

I read that that hack only disables it temporarily because then when you start moving, the GPS detects your speed and disables it yet again.

Any clarification on this?
There are 3 separate tasks for the NAV hack.

1.) Splice the wires and connect them together to get bluetooth, mp3 folders, etc working. Not DVD or NAV destination.

2.) Attach a switch between the wires and you will get NAV destination. What is does it to temporarily cut off the VSS wire so the NAV thinks you stopped moving. But then the NAV will calculate its own speed with the satellites so you will be disabled from the destination screen but you just toggle the switch again.

3.) Ground the parking brake wire so you can watch DVD.