IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is there a list of all TSIB for a 2006 IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 05:08 PM
Zender
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a list of all TSIB for a 2006 IS350?

I live in Canada with a US spec IS350.

I want to get a bunch of stuff done but I might as well get it ALL done at once since it is a 4 hour drive to the nearest Lexus dealer (Toyota does my servicing and can't do anything but basic maintenance).

Are the Canadian TSIB different than the US?

I have the dealer 'looking up' the process to get stuff done as it needs authorization by Lexus US but I want to make sure I have a list of things I can do ahead of time.

Thing I know I need done are:
Engine Rattle on Cold Start
Rear Brake Squeak
Fuel Line
Rear View Mirror Shake
Front Brake Dust

Anything else I might be missing?
Old 05-05-09, 06:16 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

hmmm that's pretty much all
Old 05-05-09, 07:27 PM
SocalSo350
Rookie

i don't think i've done the brake dust update....should i wait until i need some new pads?
Old 05-07-09, 06:05 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a steering link assembly changed under recall.

its says

8613CH 9LC Replace Power Steering Link Assm For IS250/350

And now my car does not steer the same. They've aligned my car twice but above 60-70mph, the steering rack has a slight stuck feeling when making small corrections to the left. Nothing dangerous, but it feels like the magnets are sticking or something.

I'm going to put some miles on the car before I complain again.
Old 05-07-09, 08:45 PM
joshuajj
Driver

Theres a TSIB for the dash rattles.
Old 05-07-09, 09:01 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

I just went to have mine done..As far as the brake dust thing..The service guy told me that the non dust pad don't stop as well...Not sure how much it does stop less but for now i will deal with the dust gonna do track days soon so i need every bit of my brakes...Also i am gonna up grade them someday soon so i will just deal with the dust for now..
Old 05-07-09, 09:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^

the guy at serramonte lexus also told me said the low dust pads don't sop as well.
Old 05-08-09, 04:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHoIS350
I just went to have mine done..As far as the brake dust thing..The service guy told me that the non dust pad don't stop as well...Not sure how much it does stop less but for now i will deal with the dust gonna do track days soon so i need every bit of my brakes...Also i am gonna up grade them someday soon so i will just deal with the dust for now..

What a shock, someone at the dealership lied to you.

Brake pads don't change a cars stopping distance. They can't.
Old 05-08-09, 06:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Can you clarify?

Are you saying that a pad that is easier to modulate won't result in shorter stopping distances?

Are you saying that a pad that is experiencing brake fade due to repeated high speed stops won't increase stopping distance?

Personally I prefer the low dust pads because they are easier to modulate. I haven't pushed them hard enough to compare fade between the low dust and the original ones.
Old 05-08-09, 07:31 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Are you saying that a pad that is easier to modulate won't result in shorter stopping distances?
Thats just controling the braking power, not really the stopping distance. If you're threshold braking (and engaging the ABS), for example, your ability to modulate the brakes has no bearing on the stopping distance. It's like changing throttle sensitivity, then claiming the car goes faster.

Are you saying that a pad that is experiencing brake fade due to repeated high speed stops won't increase stopping distance?
On the street this is unlikely, but brake fade (or even fluid boil in other cases), is different when it comes to stopping the car. Once the brakes have locked, the only thing(s) actually slowing the car, are the tires. Pads that resist fade, allow you to push it more (and resist that fade), but don't stop 'faster'...only more consistently.

So far as the stock pads go, though, I honestly don't believe anyone driving the car on the street will experience either.
Old 05-08-09, 07:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bichon
Can you clarify?

Personally I prefer the low dust pads because they are easier to modulate. I haven't pushed them hard enough to compare fade between the low dust and the original ones.

Shinobi already answered this pretty well... but overall yeah, pads have nothing to do with stopping distance.

The pads can change the -feel- of the brakes... the low dust pads will offer smoother braking rather than the grabby/jerky feel of the high-dust pads.... this makes them more predictable and better (IMHO) for light duty brake applications.... But when you are measuring actual stopping distance (ie the shortest distance in which the car can stop) you are going to be engaging ABS, and both pads will stop in -exactly- the same distance, as physics requires them to.

Nobody will experience brake pad fade in normal street driving. The only people who would see this with either pad would be those abusing the car on the track, or possibly if you're driving down the side of a very steep mountain (and in the second case it's one of the rare occasions the paddle shifters are acutally useful and they can largely mitigate the issue for you).
Old 05-08-09, 02:00 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
What a shock, someone at the dealership lied to you.

So then your sayn this is all B.S..So all these different types of pads are not gonna stop the car the same...which in turn will change the distance traveled? Then if you right then why make different or batter pads if they don't help stop better in turn again will change the stopping distance..

EBC and Hawk Performance are two of the biggest names in automotive brake parts. Specializing in high performance braking, these two companies are often the primary choices of automotive enthusiasts.

EBC makes brake pads, rotors and fluid for a variety of vehicles; cars, trucks, SUV's, motorcycles, ATV's, bicycles and carts. Based in the United Kingdom, EBC has been making brake equipment since 1978. EBC makes a variety of brake pads, from mild to wild.

* EBC Ultimax brake pads are a semi-metallic compound offering an improved coefficient of friction over your stock brake pads while maintaining a quiet, predictable brake feel.
* EBC Green Stuff brake pads are the entry level performance brake pad. Perfect for heavier rides or commuter vehicles that do double-duty autocross sessions. Good initial bite provides an excellent brake feel while keeping dust and noise to a minimum.
* EBC Red Stuff brake pads are a ceramic compound that offers a high coefficient of friction for excellent initial pad bite. A great pad for spirited drivers who enjoy late braking. Due to the ceramic compound, you can expect less dust from these brake pads than from the Green Stuff pads.
* EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads are not great for driving on the street, but perfect for heavy track use. The amount of friction this pad delivers is huge, upping your forward G's by as much as .2 (that's a lot!). You can expect lots of dust with this pad, so if you buy the Yellow Stuff, make sure to buy some wheel cleaner too.
* EBC Green Supreme brake pads were made for trucks and SUV's that demand better stopping performance without an increase in noise or dust.

Hawk Performance is a division of Wellman Products Group, which also owns Power Slot. While Power Slot makes all the brake rotors, Hawk makes all the brake pads. Hawk is so good at making brakes that the Sports Car Club of America has chosen Hawk to be the official brake pad of the SCCA.

* Hawk HPS brake pads are the ideal street-performance replacement pad from Hawk. Great initial pad bite in a low-dust semi metallic compound makes the HPS a winner for weekend autocross warriors.
* Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads offer higher levels of friction than your stock pads while retaining the stock wear, noise and dust characteristics. Ideal for spirited street drivers who prefer little to no maintenance over higher performance.
* Hawk HP Plus is the perfect autocross and track day pad. Engineered to withstand higher temperatures for longer periods of time, the HP Plus pads keep brake fade to a minimum and friction to the max.
* Hawk LTS brake pads are a performance pad for heavier vehicles. Perfect for trucks and SUV's, these pads will give you great braking feel, low dust and superior fade resistance.

Last edited by NoHoIS350; 05-08-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 09:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for reporting a buncha marketing info

Unless you can change the laws of physics brake pads still don't change braking distance
Old 05-08-09, 10:31 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you cut and paste from their website but apparently neglected to read it.

Read it carefully. Neither company claim to lower your stopping distances. The truth of the matter is if you want to lower you stopping distances you need more grip from either stickier or wider tires.

The fancy pads just resist fade better.
Old 05-20-09, 08:29 PM
Zender
Rookie

So I got approval to do all the recalls. The engine rattle was a little annoying, they actually want to hear it themselves... I don't understand why they need to since who the hell would want the trouble with the fix if it wasn't actually happening???

Anyways, I got a recording of it happening (took like a week) and since I have to travel 4 hours to the nearest dealer I wasn't about to wait around 1 week or more for them to recreate it.

So a couple more questions.

Assuming they do the engine rattle TSIB, will I get a free oil change? Will they use synthetic oil (what I have been using) or put in just regular stuff?

Also with the steering recall, will they do an alignment? Had to replace the front tires recently (due to bad alignment) and the shop couldn't do an alignment for me so I am stuck going to Lexus or Toyota but if it will be done with the recall it might save me some bucks. Any idea if they will do it with the recall?

Quick Reply: Is there a list of all TSIB for a 2006 IS350?