IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What did you use to fill holes after debadging.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 06:17 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by four o two
Yeah, there's a cost-effective option! Let's see, overpriced wet-lay CF trunk that doesn't save hardly any weight and has marginal fitment vs. $3.64 tube of silicone rtv, a $0.01 toothpick, and a $5.00 bottle of touch up paint.

Factory matched touch up pin is not 5 bucks..........more like $20.00 (call Lexus)

CF trunk is lighter than OEM as is the hood if by only a couple lbs......and companies like Seibon make products that fit perfectly

I wouldn't let Jessica Biel near my 60k IS-F with a tooth pick and a tube of silicon..........but whatever floats your boat
Old 05-10-09, 11:06 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8speed
Factory matched touch up pin is not 5 bucks..........more like $20.00 (call Lexus)

CF trunk is lighter than OEM as is the hood if by only a couple lbs......and companies like Seibon make products that fit perfectly

I wouldn't let Jessica Biel near my 60k IS-F with a tooth pick and a tube of silicon..........but whatever floats your boat
Really took the time to highlight the fact you've got an F huh? If I had an F, I wouldn't de-badge it.

I got black touch up paint (aka pin) for a few bucks. I don't follow most sheeple and buy "Lexus only this" and "Lexus only that" when a little common sense prevails. You're making it sound like I cut a hole in the hood with a sawzall because I didn't want to spend the $ for a real Shakker hood or something.

...I, like you though, have gotten tired of the usual posts here. I think the usual rotation in the "tech" forums around here goes something like,
"What LED lights can I use to replace my DRL's with? They have to be 14000K."
"What exhaust gains more than 3.7rwhp?"
"Y0, who's got pink tint? Post up pix!"
"Where can I order those new JDM seat pillows and window draperies?"
etc.

...and so, I think I'll stick to lurking (and mostly laughing) and turning my attention back to SF, where the real car talk goes down.
Old 05-10-09, 11:23 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used bondo pinhole filler and I wet sanded it. Then I applied touch up paint. No1 even notices it.. Its held up real good 4 two yrs. It don't look cheap reason was I did it im buying a cf trunk...... ill post pics up 2morrow
Old 05-10-09, 11:33 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
I used bondo pinhole filler and I wet sanded it. Then I applied touch up paint. No1 even notices it.. Its held up real good 4 two yrs. It don't look cheap reason was I did it im buying a cf trunk...... ill post pics up 2morrow
Where did you buy this bondo pinhole filler?

Home depot? Lowes? OSH?

Lookin forward to the pics
Old 05-11-09, 12:55 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8speed
she could come near my 350...with a tooth brush and a tube of **** eaze
that would float my boat
Old 05-11-09, 01:19 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
Yeah, there's a cost-effective option! Let's see, overpriced wet-lay CF trunk that doesn't save hardly any weight and has marginal fitment vs. $3.64 tube of silicone rtv, a $0.01 toothpick, and a $5.00 bottle of touch up paint.

Save yourself the sarcasm. That doesn't help yourself looking like a jack@ss or the OP. He has 2 choices, cheap and temporary or professional and permenant and pricey.

You'll need to spray the entire trunk if the holes are filed in. If you get a CF trunk, you'll only need to paint it & if he wants to sell the car, he'll have a extra trunk he can put back on with the emblems still on the trunk.
Old 05-11-09, 12:03 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input.

The fix for me will need to be temperary because I may want to rebadge for resale.

Some have removed badges just leaving the holes saying that you don't even notice. If that is at all true i feel confident that whether i use bondo or RTV and paint with the 2 stage base and pearl that came in the Dr. Colorchip kit it will look fine.
Old 05-11-09, 01:10 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rs/ss
Thanks for all the input.

The fix for me will need to be temperary because I may want to rebadge for resale.

Some have removed badges just leaving the holes saying that you don't even notice. If that is at all true i feel confident that whether i use bondo or RTV and paint with the 2 stage base and pearl that came in the Dr. Colorchip kit it will look fine.
I would definitely put at least something over the holes - don't just leave them unfilled. That's asking for trouble in the long run.
Old 05-11-09, 01:26 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default Paint doesnt usually stick to RTV silicone sealer so

If it were me, go to an automotive paint store, or look on line for 3M Bodyfiller in a tube. We used it all the time in the trade, to fill in last minute pin holes, etc., that got missed in the process, before we primed, guide-coated, blocked, primed, guide-coated, blocked, and painted.
It should work for small holes.. Then, you can very carefully sand it wet, using a high number wet paper, something higher than 2000, if possible.
then put your paint on, let it dry for a few days, in the sun preferably, and then buff it out carefully, and put your favorite wax or sealant, etc., on top.
Note, this is for very small holes, not the size of say license plate screw, etc., but much smaller. Is this what you have to work with?
DanF
Old 05-11-09, 02:16 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
If it were me, go to an automotive paint store, or look on line for 3M Bodyfiller in a tube. We used it all the time in the trade, to fill in last minute pin holes, etc., that got missed in the process, before we primed, guide-coated, blocked, primed, guide-coated, blocked, and painted.
It should work for small holes.. Then, you can very carefully sand it wet, using a high number wet paper, something higher than 2000, if possible.
then put your paint on, let it dry for a few days, in the sun preferably, and then buff it out carefully, and put your favorite wax or sealant, etc., on top.
Note, this is for very small holes, not the size of say license plate screw, etc., but much smaller. Is this what you have to work with?
DanF
i think this is the best answer anyone has come up with! thanks!!
Old 05-11-09, 06:19 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the holes big?
Old 05-11-09, 06:29 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

tap on your entire trunk.. tap the top of the trunk which is metal. then tap the area near your license plate using your knuckles or whatever. that piece is removable which you can do yourself. take it to a body shop. and get it filled and painted should cost you around 100 bucks like mistaboi said. 900 is just crazy. i think they were trying to rob you for the ENTIRE trunk area.
Old 05-11-09, 06:34 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

I agree 1000% with you Chris. The holes need to be filled.

Like this Stokdgs?
http://www.interstatetoolnet.com/3M-...e_p_99765.html

The holes look small fairly small in the pics i've seen. The exact size i couldn't let you but certainly smaller than a license plate screw.
Old 05-12-09, 09:07 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

anybody got pix of it done?
Old 05-12-09, 07:04 PM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Take it to a professional...won't cost you more than $150..and that's steep.

Quick Reply: What did you use to fill holes after debadging.