IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS windshield replacement problems, anyone else have them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 12:31 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IS windshield replacement problems, anyone else have them?

so i had my windshield replaced today for the first and hopefully last time. i really wanted to get lexus glass and have lexus install it, but my insurance would not cover that under my comprehensive coverage. the guy comes out and installs it in about an hour. i come out to see it and see scratches in the molding and a few in my paint much to my shock.

my question is...should the bottom moulding where the windshield wipesr are be flush and tight to the windshield? mine is wavy now so i am wondering about water getting in there. also he cracked the rubber at the top of the windshield where it meets the metal of the roof.

needless to say i am not happy!
Old 05-11-09, 02:00 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would contact the insurance and tell them that you are very unhappy with the poor service you received from their installer(assuming that these jokers were recommended by your insurance). Otherwise complain directly to the company who installed it.
Old 05-11-09, 02:55 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mvlbr
I would contact the insurance and tell them that you are very unhappy with the poor service you received from their installer(assuming that these jokers were recommended by your insurance). Otherwise complain directly to the company who installed it.

The put new molding on my top and bottom. The sides are the original. Did the windshield crack when they removed it? that might have caused the scratched. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
Old 05-11-09, 04:42 PM
OutGolfn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250gurl
so i had my windshield replaced today for the first and hopefully last time. i really wanted to get lexus glass and have lexus install it, but my insurance would not cover that under my comprehensive coverage. the guy comes out and installs it in about an hour. i come out to see it and see scratches in the molding and a few in my paint much to my shock.

my question is...should the bottom moulding where the windshield wipesr are be flush and tight to the windshield? mine is wavy now so i am wondering about water getting in there. also he cracked the rubber at the top of the windshield where it meets the metal of the roof.

Kinda of ironic I just had the same exact thing completed. My black plastic at the bottom was coming up in waves. At the top of the windshield the dude did not put the very small black molding at the top either. I assume since he was independent that he did not have new moldings so just threw in the glass and re-used the old moldings.... Needless I was not happy, and had Lexus re-order all new moldings bottom, sides, top. The glass company even had to re-order a 2nd windshield b/c they usually crack when removing.

Oh ya one other thing you might want to check as well, is the distance the wipers now travel on the windshield. When reinstalled they did not set the wipers correctly and the driverside went all the way to the side molding. I corrected it myself by taking off the black cap, 14mm nut and resetting the wiper postion. Hope all this helps, since I went through all this I thought I would chime in.
Old 05-11-09, 10:00 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250gurl

I wanted to ask you, how is the noise? Are you hearing air whizzing through top part of your windshield? I had this repair done about a year ago. This was a terrible experience for me. I had to have the glass window repair guy come back 3 different times to try and fix a noise I was hearing inside the car after they replaced the factory glass . I almost about killed these guys. Total *****. I guess you get what you pay for. In my case, I didn't want to cough up the $1,200 out of pocket for Premium factory Lexus glass, so I paid $400. I should have known something was up when he was done in like 20-25 minutes. They were so stupid, they actually glued the clips on the plastic trim that goes around your window seal in hopes of getting rid of the noise. When I took the car to Sewell Lexus here in Dallas, they had to call their window guys to totally clean up and redo the whole entire windshield job that was F-ed up from the cheap window guys. I should have known better. I will never make that mistake again. I ended up paying an extra $200 for the repair plus the new trim pieces they jacked up... Sorry for rambling. Make them re-do it until you are 100 completely satisfied!! In my case it took 4 tries but finally happy... i guess. Just make sure you check for noises at higher speeds (60-70 ish) and all trim pieces are tight and sealed properly.

Ian
Old 05-11-09, 10:09 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

I was very lucky to get an oem windshield replacement after a rock cracked my windshield. All I had to pay was $100 deductible and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Just didn't like how the guy installed, felt like he wasn't taking good care of my car.
Old 05-11-09, 10:19 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kevin.IS
I was very lucky to get an oem windshield replacement after a rock cracked my windshield. All I had to pay was $100 deductible and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Just didn't like how the guy installed, felt like he wasn't taking good care of my car.
Kevin,
Uhhh...yeah. You got hooked up for a hunsky homey. OEM glass... wow. Your insurance "rolls out the red carpet" for their customers. Are you 100% positive its Toyota glass from the factory? If so... that is sweet.

Ian
Old 05-12-09, 04:49 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

just noticed they also got glue or something on my dash and the sensor up front...lovely! and the glass is higher than the roof on one side.

they are coming back to look at it today. i have plenty of pictures of all the damage for my insurance company it needed. it needs to go to lexus to be done now...end of story!
Old 05-12-09, 06:10 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DGZis350
I will never make that mistake again. I ended up paying an extra $200 for the repair plus the new trim pieces they jacked up... Sorry for rambling. Make them re-do it until you are 100 completely satisfied!! In my case it took 4 tries but finally happy... i guess. Just make sure you check for noises at higher speeds (60-70 ish) and all trim pieces are tight and sealed properly.
That's a terrible experience. I was fortunate enough to have a great installer, who not only knew his stuff and took good care, but once things were set, came back to sit shotgun to listen for any possible wind noise that I can't pinpoint as the driver. Thankfully there was none, but it shows how important the installer is when jobs like this are being done.
Old 05-12-09, 07:46 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

another person from the installing company just came out to take a look at all the problems and was shocked by the lack of care that was taken during installation. now the manager will look at it and we will go from there.
Old 05-13-09, 06:02 PM
Damir
Driver School Candidate

I also had my windshield replaced and all the work was done fine, except that my insurance would not pay for the original Lexus glass cuz its was almost twice the price than the after market. So I agreed to have it put in but than I could hear some strange noise coming from the engine. So I took it to the dealer and told them that I hear some noise and they called me next day and said the reason was the glass. So long story short I had to fight the insurance to get the original Lexus glass put in, and I got it and the noise was gone..
Old 05-13-09, 10:56 PM
LexInTex
Driver School Candidate

Wow guess i'm lucky. I had my windshield replaced last month because of a crack in my line of sight. The glass used was not OEM glass but it looked identical in all aspects including the rearview mirror area. I was very impressed with the company that the insurance chose because they told me they would gladly come to my house but also said I could take my car to them so that it can be done in their enclosed shop. I chose to go to them and it was a 4 hour process but because they asked that I let the car sit for 2 hours in their parking lot to give the windshield some time to set in. I had a friend pick me up and returned for my car that afternoon (about 7hrs after I left it) After that I drove home and it has been perfect ever since. Safelite was my company. $100 deductible.
Old 05-14-09, 06:34 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

well i just wanted to say my gurl IS250 windshield got cracked last weekened when we were on our way back from lexus. called up her insurance cause in Mass. if you have full coverage then they replace any of our glass once a yr if it cracks for free no deduct. So i called a shopped that was recommened from the insurance and they said cause of the sensor on the window they had to get it straight from lexus i was like swt. then i asked them about the trims around the window. they said they will get back to me on it. behold they said the insurance will cover the lexus oem glass and replace the trims around it also. getting it all done next tueday tho.
Old 06-03-09, 05:29 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

well i got the second windshield installed finally yesterday since the first was done so poorly. the mouldings still are not right on the sides though and he cracked one during the reinstall so another new one is on order. never ends i swear!