IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please chime in with your positive wheel repair experiences...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 08:55 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please chime in with your positive wheel repair experiences...

I've had a pretty frustrating experience getting one of my chrome wheels repaired after hitting a stealth pot-hole on the highway. A local shop contacted two "repair" outfits but was rebuffed by each when told of the wheel type and finish (SSR Professor VF1 3-piece Super Black Chrome).

I ended up having the wheel sent to Wheels America in Arlington Heights, IL. They apparently repaired the bend, but then had to ship the wheel to California for re-finishing (?!?). It's ending up costing waayyyyyy more than I had hoped going in and with the crappy roads around here I could go broke quickly if this happens one too many times...

I have limited experience in the aftermarket wheel repair arena, as this is the first serious rim damage I've incurred over many sets of wheels. Are higher end wheel repairs typically a multi-step process that involve cooperation between different shops (in different parts of the country)??

It would be ideal to accumulate a list of names/contact info of some top-notch aftermarket wheel repair shops around the country based on other user's experiences. In the future, I might deal directly with them and perhaps realize some cost savings by using a "one stop shop".

So, if a particular wheel repair outfit local to your area impressed you with the work they did on one/several of your damaged wheels, please post up a name/link/contact info...

Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-09, 09:18 PM
VF84
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first thing is try to get a reimbursement for replacement from your state's department of transportation if the pot hole accident occurred on an interstate/freeway, or city/locality if on local roads.

that said, wheels america in hayward, ca is where i had 2 repaired.. however, they could not match the anthracite paint volvo uses on their rims.
Old 05-11-09, 09:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if the shop you used sent them to The Wheel Supply in Walnut, CA. I've brought several wheels to Albert (as have many of my friends) and his work is top notch.

The Wheel Supply
(909) 468-1311
975 Fairway Dr.
Walnut, CA 91789

Javier
Old 05-12-09, 06:45 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe with chrome plating there are strict rules about the process and only Cali locations can rechrome wheels. At least this is what the local wheel shop in NY told me.
Old 05-12-09, 07:11 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VF84
first thing is try to get a reimbursement for replacement from your state's department of transportation if the pot hole accident occurred on an interstate/freeway, or city/locality if on local roads.

How does that work? Never heard of such an arrangement--would be great if partial reimbursement were possible... Should I call the local DOT, tell them the highway and approximate mile marker and ask about the policy? Then produce the repair receipt I suppose... Would seem like a scenario ripe for scam artistry .
Old 05-12-09, 07:13 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I believe with chrome plating there are strict rules about the process and only Cali locations can rechrome wheels. At least this is what the local wheel shop in NY told me.

Ok, starting to make more sense... I guess in the future it may be easier (cheaper?) to have the chromes sent to Cali in the first place and not go through an intermediary...
Old 05-12-09, 10:32 AM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zeus69
How does that work? Never heard of such an arrangement--would be great if partial reimbursement were possible... Should I call the local DOT, tell them the highway and approximate mile marker and ask about the policy? Then produce the repair receipt I suppose... Would seem like a scenario ripe for scam artistry .
take photos of broken/bent rim, busted tire, location of pothole (preferably sunday morning with little traffic but great sun light). keep receipts of repairs (suspension/alignment/rim/new tires). find the small claims or call the directory and ask around.

i've gotten 3 reimbursements already. 1 from berkeley, 1 from san francisco, 1 from caltrans. berkeley was the one who took $50 off each tire because they were "not new". caltrans redirected my claim to the contracted road construction company. this and the san francisco reimbursed in full.

the only reason i needed wheels of america was because i did not know the rims were bent when i had the tires replaced. wasn't until after i filed the claims that i found out the tires were leaking air (very very slowly) as a result of bent rims.
Old 05-12-09, 11:01 AM
Mokey
Rookie

I sent a reimbursement form back in february for a pot hole on I355 and i still have yet to hear from them. I think i'd rather buy wheels that you can add road hazard coverage instead of submitting reimbursements.